Chapter 18 - Part 2

Kate wiped the water off her arm and took the phone from Tyler before he went to change out of his shirt.

Fifteen missed calls.

Evelyn was going to kill her.

She sat and switched on her laptop, checking her emails while calling Evelyn.

"Where are you? Tyler was here. Joanne saw him and went on and on about you disappearing after lunch. I think he suspects something," Evelyn said the moment the call went through.

She sighed. She thought something had happened at work. "Well, the secret's out. He got home and, long story short, found me at the shed."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I know you wanted it to be a surprise."

"It was still a surprise, and I won't be too sorry about it."

"Huh. Why not?"

"We kissed."

"Finally."

She shook her head. "I'm not going back today. Tyler's calling Dan to pick you up. See you for dinner?"

"Yeah, okay."

"Sorry to ruin your date."

"It isn't a date. It's two friends having dinner."

"And the two friends can't have dinner together with everyone else at the mansion?"

"That's exactly what I'm doing tonight," Evelyn said. "As for you, don't think about dating. Complete your work."

She laughed, her head dropping back. "Being responsible doesn't suit you. See you later."

By the time she stepped out of her bath, the responsible self returned and she couldn't help but fret. The will, the mansion ...

She could hear movements in the attic, so she trotted up, thinking of talking to Tyler.

There was so much at risk, and he needed to know, to think things through rationally before jumping into a relationship.

"Busy?"

"I thought you wanted to finish up your work. Miss me?"

His carefree manner made her smile, changing her mind about speaking with him. "Nothing, I just came to check on you. I'll go now."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing." She turned to leave, but Tyler stopped her.

"You look as if you regret what happened."

"No," she quickly said. She didn't want him to misunderstand. "Worried, maybe."

"About?"

"We've only known each other for three months. There's still nine more months to go. What if things don't work out? I can't let you lose the house."

Tyler ran his finger down her cheek and smiled. "You don't have to take care of me, too. Don't worry about the house, and don't start thinking so responsibly when it comes to me."

"Don't start? When did I stop?"

"Moving in with a stranger. Giving up your work. Driving with an injured leg. Hopping through the woods on one leg for my birthday present. None of these seems responsible to me."

"I didn't give up my work; I brought it home. My leg's fine; you're making a big deal out of it."

"And driving?"

"I haven't crashed, have I?"

"And moving in, after having met me once when I wasn't at my best."