Chapter 16 - Part 2

Evelyn turned the doorknob and was surprised that it was locked. Whenever she'd come with Kate, the door was always unlocked.

She rang the doorbell and cast a glance at Joanne while she waited. "You promised to behave."

Joanne nodded.

Marianne opened the door, her lips set in a thin line. "Joanne, I told you that Ty doesn't want you in the house."

"It's all right, Marianne. She asked Kate. Where is Kate anyway? She isn't answering my calls."

"I don't know where they disappeared to. I'm sure they'll turn up soon," Marianne said as she stepped aside for them to enter.

All the guys were already in the kitchen, and Marianne told them to go ahead once the food was ready.

Fifteen minutes into the meal, Tyler and Kate finally turned up.

"Hello everyone," Kate said as she came into the kitchen. "Sorry we're late."

"Don't be. We didn't wait, so it's fine," Ryan said with his mouth full. "But I'm extremely curious about where you guys were."

"Somewhere," Tyler answered.

"Somewhere," Kate agreed with a smile. "And I forgot to inform you and Marianne that Joanne was joining us for dinner. Sorry about that."

Tyler scooped a spoonful of cheesy mashed potatoes and placed it onto her plate. "Stop apologizing and start eating."

Evelyn saw Joanne watching Tyler and Kate and noticed her swallowing hard before looking away.

They weren't doing anything intimate, but their attraction for each other was clear to everyone.

"What a crowd."

Everyone turned to the unfamiliar voice.

"Mr. Sawyer! They're here all the time. You're just too busy with work to notice," Marianne joked. "Join us. There's plenty of food."

"Are you sure? It definitely looks appealing."

"Join us, Mr. Sawyer. Marianne loves it when we lick up every single bit of food," Kate said. "You've been busy. We haven't seen you around since the first night here."

"Yes, I was busy. But that's over now. So if I'm welcome, I'd love to have dinner here more often."

"That'll be great," Marianne replied. "It's a great excuse for me to cook more. Everyone, this is Mr. Sawyer."

The three guys and Evelyn all nodded politely while Joanne kept her eyes on her plate.

"So, Anne, how was your first day of work? Did Kate bully you?" Ryan asked while looking at Kate. "Is she a monster behind that friendly mask?"

Kate laughed softly, then put on an exaggerated pout. "I thought you loved me."

"Oh, I still do. I'd love you even if you were a monster."

The two of them laughed heartily.

Tyler's smile faded, obviously jealous of Ryan. But that changed when Kate turned back to him and smiled. "And you? Do you think I'm actually a monster?"

"No."

Kate's smile broadened.

"And would you still love her if she actually was a monster?" Evelyn asked.

Kate turned to her and narrowed her eyes. "Ignore her."

"I know she isn't," Tyler answered, looking right at Kate.

"I'm going home," Joanne suddenly said. Then she stood and left the kitchen without another word.

Everyone was silent for a moment, but Evelyn didn't allow Joanne's sudden departure to interrupt the conversation. "You should try messing up her house and see what happens."

"Really? You want to bring that up?"

Kate and Evelyn jumped into a lively debate over a house-watching situation. They hollered at each other, half laughing while accusing each other of going overboard.

When they could no longer contain their laughter, the debate finally stopped, and Ryan asked, "So was I the only one who got lost in that conversation?"

As Kate laughed, she unconsciously shifted closer to Tyler. And even though he probably didn't have a clue about what was going on during the war of words, Kate's giggles were enough to make him smile. His arm draped across her chair as Kate turned to him.

"Some time ago, I had to make a business trip. So, I asked Evelyn to watch the house for me. When I came home, her clothes, food, and wine bottles were strewn all over the floor."

"Oh, it wasn't so bad," Evelyn argued. "She has compulsive disorder. Everything has to be in the right place or it's a disaster."

"I do not. I just don't appreciate having spaghetti on my carpet, wine stains on my couch, and dirty clothes all over my floor and sink! Gosh, I can't even imagine what situation would cause your clothes to end up in the kitchen sink!"

Evelyn rolled her eyes. "Fine. But you guys know what she did? She made me clean up the house while she dictated from the couch."

"Which, thankfully, I checked or would've sat right on a wine glass," Kate retorted.

Ryan and Joseph laughed even as their jaws dropped.

"Her house must be an interesting sight," Joseph commented.

"I'll take a video next time I'm there." Kate paused, casting a quick glance over to Evelyn before looking back at Joseph and Ryan. "You'll be amazed."

"I would've thought you'd simply walk out. Who would dare to stop you?" Dan asked.

"Which is my point exactly; Kate is definitely capable of becoming a monster," Evelyn said and smiled at Dan.

Kate leaned back on Tyler's arm as she shook her head. "So will all of you when you see the destruction she brings whenever she stays over."

"Is that why she isn't watching your house while you're here?" Tyler asked with a grin.

"Yes, one year is a long time. I was only gone for a week that time. I can't imagine putting my house in her hands. My life, yeah, she'll protect me with her life, but the house ..." Kate shook her head. "Never!"

Evelyn pulled out a piece of tissue, crushed it, and threw it at Kate.

It wasn't anything dangerous, but Tyler instinctively hooked his arm over Kate's shoulders and pulled her toward his chest, protecting her from the crushed-tissue missile.

"Whoa, Evelyn. I suggest you don't do that. Tyler is a judo expert. You don't want to hurt Kate in front of him," Ryan said.

Smiling smugly, Evelyn replied in all confidence, "Even if I did hurt her, she would never let Tyler hurt me."

Kate sat up but didn't pull herself out of Tyler's arm. "Unfortunately, that's quite true."

Evelyn watched as Kate spoke, turning to Tyler whenever she smiled. Within the short stay at the mansion, Kate seemed to have grown so comfortable with being near Tyler; something which wasn't frequent with Kate.

Kate was kind to everyone, but she was only comfortable with a few, and nothing like how she was with Tyler.

Evelyn wasn't the only one observing them.

Marianne and the guys were all staring. But oblivious to the stares from around the table, Kate and Tyler started chatting between themselves, completely forgetting the rest of the room.

_________________________________________________________

New parts will be uploaded every Tuesday! Do vote and add to your list if you've enjoyed reading!