Chapter 16 - Part 1

Kate's eyes flew open to absolute darkness. She turned over and reached for her phone when she heard a thud.

Only when the light from her cell phone hit her face did she realize that whatever she heard wasn't just a sound in her dream or from her imagination.

She directed her glance up toward the ceiling when she heard another thud from above her.

Gingerly, she stepped out of bed with her heart pounding away.

She stood beside her bed, waiting and listening for another sound. But instead of a thud, she heard low, muffled voices humming along to a tune.

It was a song.

It sounded as if someone was playing it on the radio.

She moved toward her door, and the music grew louder, clearer.

Stars shining bright above you

Night breezes seem to whisper 'I love you'

Birds singing in the sycamore trees ...

She smiled and followed the music, thinking Tyler was playing it.

She left her room and went over to Tyler's room. The door to his room was ajar, but he wasn't in it. The music wasn't coming from his room either.

She continued trotting forward, listening for the source of where the song was being played. She stopped in front of the long window and looked out.

The song continued playing, and right outside the house, on the empty space before the trees, a couple danced along to the music.

The lady wore a green sleeveless retro dress while the man wore a gray button-down shirt.

Something about the couple seemed familiar to her, but she couldn't figure out what it was.

She watched and smiled as the blissful couple danced to the song.

"Kate?"

She jumped and spun around, then sighed as she saw Tyler.

"What are you looking at?"

"There's a couple dancing," she said, turning back to the window.

"There's someone outside?" Tyler asked and strode forward, pulling her behind him.

That was when she realized how quiet it had become.

"There's no one out there."

"What? But I saw ..." She stepped forward and gazed out. "Okay. This is ..."

Tyler laughed softly. "Were you dreaming?"

"Maybe. But I was wide awake that day when I heard someone playing the piano."

"You heard someone playing the piano? When?"

"A while ago." The more she thought about it, the more she was scaring herself. "You know what? Forget it. Like you said, I was probably dreaming."

"It's okay," Tyler said softly. He must have realized the state she was working herself into. He ran his hands down her arms. "Next time you hear something, tell me."

"I heard some noise upstairs, too."

"And you decided to check it out alone?"

"I went to your room, but you weren't there."

Tyler grinned. "Because I was the one making the noise. I was packing up the attic. But if it ever happens again and I'm not in my room, wait for me before you check anything out."