Chapter 4- Blue Eyed Girl

Asher's POV

As the girl gets closer, I start to feel like an idiot for just sitting here. I jump to my feet quickly, forgetting about the Kindle on my chest until I see it go flying. Before it can hit the ground, the girl moves so fast that she almost blurs and snatches it out of the air. My breath hitches again. How did she do that? I don't have time to really think about it as she moves even closer and takes a deep breath.

Then she looks directly into my eyes as if she can see straight into my soul and says, " You smell like... Mine." I tilt my head at her, confused by her words. Seeing this, she seems to shake herself out of whatever she was thinking and smiles even bigger at me.

"Hi. I'm Ivy Grant. Sorry if I disturbed you, I just really wanted to say hi." She says in a soft voice. The sound is beautiful, I don't know if I've ever heard a better sound in my life. I just continue staring at her, taking in her gorgeous face. Her eyes are mesmerizing. They are bright blue and contrast beautifully with her wild fiery hair. She looks at me expectantly, but I'm so caught up in her that I can't think straight enough to figure out what she wants from me. "What's your name, love?"

Oh! Of course. Geez, I'm an idiot. Wait... love? Did she really call me love? My heart starts to beat even faster at the thought. Obviously, it was just a random endearment, I mean she probably calls everyone that. With that thought, I feel myself become upset. I don't want her to call anyone but me that. I want her to mean it. As I watch her, I see her smile start to slip.

" Do you want me to go?" She asks quietly, sounding almost pained. It takes a moment and her beginning to turn away for me to realize I still haven't spoken.

Before she can fully turn away, I reach for her hand. I swear I feel sparks as we touch and hear her catch her breath as I do the same. She turns back to me with a hopeful look and I finally find my voice... well kind of. "N-n-no! Please don't g-go."

Since when do I stutter? Nerd or not, that has never been one of my issues. I try again, and thankfully my mouth starts to cooperate.

" My name is Asher Reed. Sorry, you just took me by surprise."

The smile I get in return for my belated response is glorious. I can practically hear angels singing. I can just barely catch the sound of her whispering my name.

" Are you new here? I know I would remember seeing you before." I say as Ivy just stares happily at me. I don't understand what is happening, but there is no way I'm going to question her decision to grace me with her presence.

She nods slowly at me, and I see the tip of her pink tongue as it glides over her bottom lip. " Yes, it is my first day here. What are you doing out here by yourself? Were you waiting for someone?" She asks.

" No, my roommate kicked me out," I confess. " But it's ok, I really like it here. I love this tree, and the forest is so peaceful, don't you think?"

I see a touch of anger spark in her eyes at my words. " Yes, I agree. It is beautiful here, and this tree is amazing." She says as she momentarily takes her eyes from mine to look at the tree. I feel a surprising sense of jealousy that her attention strayed from me, but I'm relieved when her gaze quickly returns to mine. " Why did your roommate make you leave?"

I mentally kick myself for telling her that, and I really don't want to answer. I don't want her to think I'm a loser. What if my ever-present aura of nerd hasn't registered with her and she realizes that she has no business here with me. Ivy is so far out of my league, we aren't even playing the same sport. Even though I don't want her to know, I find myself unable to give her anything less than the truth. " He said he didn't want a nerd like me around when his buddies showed up." I whisper as I look down at my feet.