Chapter 38 - Well?

Ivy's POV

Saturday, December 22, 2018

"Why are you shaking, sweetheart? Are you nervous?" My dad asks as he watches me put the finishing touches on my hair.

I think about it for a second, as I hadn't realized I was trembling. Nervous? I don't think so. I'm ready for this. I had been so worried that Asher might change his mind after what happened on his birthday two months ago. I mean, that wouldn't have happened if he hadn't been with me. But now, after much reassurance from him, I know he won't let that get in the way of us. I'm just glad he wasn't traumatized by the whole thing.

"No, not yet, anyway. I'm just excited." I decide. I'm definitely not nervous about this. A wedding was never something that I imagined as a little girl, but I can't wait to marry Asher. He is the best mate I could have dreamed of for myself. I am a bit anxious about tonight, though. After our small wedding, we will head back to the pack lands and prepare for the mating ceremony.

'Tonight we will complete our mating and I will finally get to meet Asher's wolf. I'm so excited. Do you know how excited I am? Huh? Do you?' Emersyn says as she dances around in my head.

Rolling my eyes at her, I respond in a bland tone, 'No, Emersyn. I have no idea. How excited are you?'

'So excited I could just sing!' She yells before doing just that. Emersyn is a wonderful wolf, but she is as tone deaf as they come, so I try to block out her deafening rendition of one of my favorite love songs of all time, Edwin McCain's 'I'll Be', hoping that it won't be ruined for me forever.

^^I'll Be by Edwin McCain^^

I place the last flower in my hair then turn back and forth, looking at my handiwork in the mirror. I left my hair flowing long and curly with only a bit pulled back from each side of my face loosely braided and held in place with hairpins. Small white and purple flowers are scattered throughout the spiraling locks. When I deem it satisfactory, I walk over and pull my dress from its protective wrapping before slipping it on. It is a simple, knee-length white strapless dress with a black satin sash around the waist that I have paired with heels with clear soles that hug my feet with criss-crossed black satin ribbon. I take a spin in front of the mirror and love how the skirt billows up around me.

"Are you ready, Ivy. It's about time to head out there."My mother tells me as she watches me with a glassy smile.

"Don't cry, mom. You know I'm a sympathetic crier, and I can't go out there with mascara running down my cheeks. I'm ready. You go and take your seat. Daddy and I will follow shortly." I say reassuringly. She just nods before leaving the room.

I turn to my dad and he offers me his arm before leading through Asher's parents' house. When we reach the door to the backyard, I take a deep breath before nodding to my dad. He slides the door open and I stay close to his side as we walk through the hanging curtain wall that blocks me from the sight of my love. The first thing I see is the aisle that I am expected to walk down. It is small, just 2 rows of 2 chairs on either side and white rose petals have been scattered down the center. Standing under a small arch, front and center is a man I don't know. I assume this is the minister that is friends with Asher's father.

It takes me a moment to locate Asher and my heart beat speeds up as I worry he might have gotten cold feet. Then he stands from his squatted position in front of his parents and returns to stand at his post by the minister. My breath catches in my throat. He has never looked more handsome than in this moment. Asher is wearing a black suit and shirt with a white satin tie and shiny white dress shoes, his look complementing mine flawlessly.

 Asher is wearing a black suit and shirt with a white satin tie and shiny white dress shoes, his look complementing mine flawlessly

I hear some instrumental music begin to play from somewhere, indicating that it is time for me to do the slow walk down the aisle. Asher's eyes lock on me and the look on his face tells me that he is just as in awe of my appearance. Instead of doing what is expected, I get a tighter grip on my father's arm before dragging him the few yards separating me from the love of my life. My dad offers no resistance as he chuckles down at me. When we finally reach the front, my eyes remain on Asher.

"We have gathered here today to witness the joining of Ivy Lee Grant and Asher David Reed in marriage. Who is giving them away to be wed?" The minister begins.

I hear a soft 'we do' from Asher's parents before my dad chuckles again. "Well, I'd say her mother and I do, but I'm pretty sure Ivy is giving herself away." He says with a wink.

I roll my eyes as everyone laughs but I still don't look away from Asher, even though he is clearly as amused as the others. I don't realize that I have been totally ignoring everything around me until Emersyn huffs that I should really be listening.

"Well?" The minister asks as Asher quirks a brow at me with a knowing smile.

"Well, what?" I ask.

"Do you take Asher as your lawfully wedded husband?" His eyes dance with humor as he repeats the question.

"Oh! Right. Yes. Yes, of course, I do." I rush out with a flaming blush coloring my cheeks.

"Good, and do you, Asher, take Ivey to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

"I do." Asher says with a wink at me.

I keep my mind on the ceremony as the minister asks us to repeat after him. We vow to be faithful and loving to each other for the rest of our lives and then we exchange rings. When we have both done this, the minister finally says what I have been waiting for. "Alright. Then by the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride."

I launch myself at Asher as soon as the final word is out of his mouth. Clearly anticipating my actions, Asher catches me easily and crushes our lips together before slowly bending me at the waist in a deep dip. The sound of claps and wolf whistles barely register as I soak in this wonderful moment with my mate. Brock's shout to get a room finally brings me back and I straighten as I pull away with a scowl at him. As if he has any room to talk. He just winks at me as I try to kill him with my eyes.

The little event doesn't last long after that. We spend a couple of hours enjoying a late lunch and dancing to a few songs. I am very pleased with the way my dress moves when Asher twirls me a few times. When the festivities come to an end, Asher and I head to his car after giving his parents the excuse of leaving for our honeymoon. He doesn't plan to tell them about wolves yet, so they won't be allowed at our mating ceremony tonight. We give everyone a quick wave before heading off as we clutch each other's hands.

This has been a great day so far, but I am so excited about standing beneath the moon tonight and binding myself to Asher in a deeper way. I turn to him with a smile. "Are you ready for tonight, baby."

"Yes, more than you know." He responds, and I can tell that he means it.

Just a few more hours, and then we will be one. I can't wait.