Chapter 20 - Wait... What?

Asher's POV

Saturday, August 18, 2018

The entire drive from the gate to the house, Ivy was acting strangely. She seemed to be arguing with herself about something. I tried to speak to her a few times, but I don't even think she heard me. My eyes almost pop out of my head when we reach the house. She calls it a house, anyway, but it is a mansion. I know she said she had a big family, but this place is enormous. It could easily house 100 people, and as I look over to the far side of the house, I see a parking lot, an actual parking lot holding at least that many cars.

As soon as I roll to a stop, Brock jumps out and jogs towards the house with a quick wave. I get out of the car, intending to go around and open Ivy's door, but she beats me to it. As she steps out, she looks determined. Without a word, she steps up beside me and after taking my hand she begins leading me around the side of the house. I am starting to get a bit paranoid that maybe she isn't so happy that I'm here after all, but I just keep quiet and allow her to lead me into the woods.

After walking for about thirty minutes, we come upon a clearing carpeted with thousands of purple wildflowers. "This is my favorite place to come when I need time to myself." Ivy quietly tells me.

^^Ivy's field of flowers^^

"It's very beautiful." I agree while studying her face, trying to figure out what is bothering her. Before I can, she speaks again.

Looking down at her feet she says, "There is something that I need to tell you, Asher. Something about myself, something that I'm afraid will make you want to leave me." By the end of her confession, her voice is so quiet that it is barely audible.

I don't know what to think of this vulnerability, but I can't let it continue. There is absolutely nothing that she could tell me that would change the way I feel about her. I step closer to her before pulling her into my arms. I raise my right hand to cup her jaw, gently tilting her face up until she meets my eyes. "You can tell me anything, Ivy, and I will still be right here by your side." I tell her softly and then I press my lips to hers. She returns the kiss almost desperately before pulling away from me. She takes a few steps before turning back to face me. It was then that she said something that shook the foundation of what I considered reality.

"I'm a werewolf." She blurts out.

"Ok, that's cool," I start, having already been determined to accept whatever she told me, but then her words actually register in my brain. I shake my head, sure that I misheard."Wait... What?"

"I'm a werewolf." She repeats.

Ok, so that's what I thought she said. I chuckle nervously, unsure how to process this."You are a werewolf. You are a werewolf. You're a werewolf. My girlfriend is a werewolf." I don't know why I keep repeating her declaration, but no matter how many times I say it, I still can't make sense of it."Are you serious?"

The entire time I've been monologuing Ivy has just been cautiously watching me. She doesn't seem to be reassured by my reaction.

"Yes, I'm serious. I have the ability to take the form of a wolf. My body is capable of two forms because inside of me lives two spirits. Mine, and the one of my wolf, Emersyn." She tells me calmly.

Alright, so... "If this is true, it seems like something that you would want to keep secret. Why are you telling me? I'm nobody." I say, still trying to wrap my head around this. I'm having a hard time believing her, but at the same time, I know she isn't lying. If nothing else, she believes what she is telling me.

She lets out a low growl that has me taking a step back. I know I didn't imagine it this time, and it reminds me of all of the times that I heard it before. That thought leads to the memories of all of the other oddities that I ignored because I was sure I was wrong about what I saw and heard. Could this be real?

"You are not nobody. You are wonderful. You are everything to me. I love you more than anything in this world. You, Asher, are my mate. My soulmate. My other half. Without you, I could never be whole." The entire time she speaks, I watch as her eyes shift from blue to golden brown and back again. My heart starts to race. Mate. She says I'm her mate. The joy I feel at those words overwhelms me, and I no longer care that reality as I knew it has now basically been shattered.

"Will you show me?" I ask suddenly, needing to be certain that this isn't a dream.

She looks surprised by my request. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, please. I need to see that it's real." I tell her, hoping she understands.

She slowly nods, " Ok, but, um... can you please turn around? I have to take off my clothes, and mate or not until we have our mating ceremony I'd prefer to keep my modesty."

I blush at the thought of her being nude anywhere near me so, without comment, I turn my back to her. I can hear her clothes rustling, and then I hear a gruesome series of snaps and pops before the forest is once again silent. After a moment, I hear footsteps approaching. Suddenly I feel a cold nose press against my palm. When I turn around, standing in front of me is a beautiful, auburn wolf, the very same wolf from my dream, and as I look around I find that Ivy is nowhere to be seen. The last thing that I register is a low whine coming from the wolf, and then everything goes black.

A/N: Thanks for reading! I hope you are enjoying my story, I know I am. Please Comment and Vote!