Chapter 2

The drive was excruciatingly long! I'm so glad to be out of the car. Being trapped with Mom in a car for hours is not exactly my explanation of a good time.

"Go knock, and I'll get the bags." Mom encourages me to walk towards the house.

I raise my fists in a knock. Before I get the chance I am thrown inside.

"Tell your mom that Grandpa will help her with the bags. What else is he here for?" My grandma laughs at her own joke. Every year Mom and I go to Hollywood to hangout with Grandma and Grandpa (Kyle's parents). We've been doing so since I was born. For years I thought that it was normal to have three sets of grandparents. Any time I would ask about the boy in all the pictures throughout their house, they would say that he is a distant relative.

"So, Annalise, any new boyfriends?" My grandmother winks at me. She is such a beautiful woman; she ages like fine wine. Her brown hair has slowly set in a streaked gray. I hope that I age as well as her.

"I'll beat them if they try to touch my granddaughter." Grandpa always has been protective over me. I guess that's a perk of being his only grandchild. Every time that I look at Grandpa, I see Kyle. He looks just like an older version of Kyle. I miss Kyle.

"Grandpa, no one is interested in me."

"Even that Alexander?"

"Grandpa! Don't talk about him!!"

"Okay, Annalise. We won't talk about him."

"So, Annalise... as a graduation present, Dad and I were planning on letting you stay in Hollywood with your Grandparents. We will send you spending money. You can just take a vacation in Hollywood. I'm sure you will have fun. You can visit the city that your Dad loved so much. You know, he has a star that you can visit."

"Your dad even had some friends here who have kids about your age." Grandma pipes in.

"Fine, I'll stay." Maybe I can get a break from 'He Who Shan't Be Named'.

"Wonderful, I've got three of Kyle's friends coming shortly," Grandma states.

"I'm tired after the long drive, I'm going to sleep," Mom whispers.

"Alright, goodnight, Mom."

"So, what shall we do until our company arr-"

DUH DUH DUH

The knock of the door interrupts Grandma. Grandma gets up to greet our visitors.

"Hello, come on in. Just go straight back to the left."

Heavy footsteps trudge towards the living room. Suddenly all noise stops. I look up from my phone. Three guys about my dad's age stand before me.

"Hi, I'm Alessandro. I was a friend of your dad's." an older Italian states.

"Wow, you're just as beautiful as your mom. My name is Jean-Luc." says the older French guy.

"I see Kyle in her. My name is Quan." the third concludes.

"We were friends of your dad's. Your dad gave me a present for you. My son has it. He's around here somewhere." Alessandro searches for his son. "I think he gave it to my nephew. Liam, come here!" A tall bronze althete steps forward from behind the three older men.

"Hi, my name is Liam. I am Quan's nephew. My mom is Georgina Nero and my dad's name is Logan."

"My dad has an ex named Georgina Ne- wait, my dad dated your mom?! Ew!"

"Yes, they did date. I told your dad not to date my sister." Quan's face scrunched in anger.

"I have an uncle named Logan too! He's not my real uncle. My godmother has a brother named Logan."

"Is your godmother by any chance named Delilah?" Liam inquires.

"Yes, why?"

"I think that your godmother is my aunt."

"Enough with this small talk, give her the present, Liam. I haven't got all day." Quan demands.

Liam steps forward to give me a delicately wrapped box. My name is written... in my father's handwriting. I quickly unwrap the box to see an old book. It has "Kyle's Diary" written on the cover.

I slowly open to the first page.

"Dear Diary,
Today is my final day of living in Maine. I am going to miss my friends. I'll mainly miss her though. If our paths ever cross again, I am going to soak in every minute of it. She will always be the love of my life.

I love you, Brittany."

Uh, let's skip a few pages and read.

"Dear Diary,

I know that I have forgotten about you, but it's happening. I have found Brittany again. I don't know how she found me, but I have to go to her. Some of my friends claim that they saw her at a pool. I've got to go see her. I have to find her."