Chapter 14

Three weeks later...

I am finally getting released from the hospital today. These three weeks have DRAGGED. I was pretty much confined to my bed most of the time for recovery purposes. Eventually physical therapy was worked into my schedule.

Liam, Alexander, Daisy, and my grands have visited me every day. Liam has slept at the hospital every night since the accident. Grandma and Grandpa tried to get him to go home, but he insisted on being there for me. He was adamant that he watch over me. According to Grandma, the only time he rested was when she and Grandpa visited with me. Liam actually insisted that they sleep at their house, and he would watch over me.

Alexander was in the hospital almost as long as I was. We spent a lot of time finally talking to one another. We would talk about life, laugh, and enjoy each other. It felt like I was being a normal teenager when we had our daily hour. I felt like I had the old Alexander, and I was my old self.

Daisy would always bring me foods, clothes, and gossip when she visited. We would talk about who her latest crush was, who she shipped me with, and how we felt. It was childish and light, but it was nice to be able to talk about stupid teen things to another girl.

The J siblings also visited me a few times. Each sibling came to check up on me, and wish me wellness.

"Well, Sweetness, don't you look stunning." Liam calls from the breezeway. "You hardly look like you spent almost a month in solitary confinement." A laugh escapes his lips.

"Ha ha. Very funny, Liam. You know you are so handsome, I hardly can believe that you only have two brain cells." I retort.

"I would give that lame comeback a response, but I seemed to have just used up my last two brain cells. It's going to take a full hour for them to recharge before I can attempt to further converse." A smile escapes my lips at his attempt to cheer me up.

"You know, maybe now I can finally get some space from you again. You've been so physically close to me these last few weeks, I thought you had a thing for me."

"I can get physically closer." Liam sends a suggestive wink.

I give a gagging motion with my finger.

"I can make you gag too." I choke on my spit. His face contorts into a mix of amusement and horror. "How attractive." He deadpans.

We walk out the hospital to the site of my grands, Daisy, and Alexander. All have huge smiles on their faces. Daisy runs over to me. She engulfs me in a hug.

"I've missed you. I'm so glad you're healthy." Daisy pulls back to stand beside my grandparents.

Grandma steps up next, with Grandpa trailing.

"You gave us a scare, Darling." My Grandma states while kissing my cheek.

"Yeah, and at your Grandma's age we don't want to excite her too much." Grandpa laughs at his own slyness. Grandma hits him with her arm.

"It's okay, Grandpa. Grandma has been with you so long that I'm sure it doesn't excite her much anymore." I give him a triumphant smile.

"I would love to say something about that being uncalled for, but I couldn't be more proud right now. I am just glad that I passed my cleverness on to someone. I have to give credit where it's due."

"Thanks, Gramps. Hey, where's mom at anyways?" I turn to Grandma.

"Oh, she visited while you were out, but had to get back home. Zac was working, and she had to take care of the kids. She didn't tell any of the children about the situation. She didn't want to scare any of them." Grandma gives me a loving squeeze to comfort me.

If you're wondering, Delilah also had to go back home. She had to go take care of her dog.

"So, where are we going?" I ask everybody.

Alex, Liam, and Daisy share a look. "In-N-Out!" They all yell in unison.

Grandpa burst in a laugh. "Well, you guys enjoy the food. Don't do anything that I would do." With that Grandpa hands me a roll of money. He and Grandma say their good byes and drive off.

I look down at the palm Grandpa put the money. He rolled the money up. I carefully unroll the money. In my hand is $500 and a note. I unravel the note to read.

'Enjoy life, have fun, and be safe. -Love the old guy'

A tear starts to form in my eye. Everyone else looks at the note and the money in my hand. Liam is the first to break the silence.

"Wow, Grandpa kind of scares me. Like he's a baller, and I feel like he might be a crime boss." Daisy and I hit Liam in sync.

"Well, let's go enjoy the day!" Daisy gleefully states.