Chapter 13: Every night

"Searching to find myself

And all I find is you

I could hardly stand myself

So what am I to you?"

-Imagine Dragons

*

I stared at Sebastian in disbelief, my brain unable to process the information.

"W-wife?" I breathed. "Toby is MARRIED?!"

I didn't know why I found this information so shocking, I just really couldn't believe that Toby had never mentioned that he was married. We had talked about our fathers' death, for God's sake!

Sebastian looked at me with open curiosity, crossing his arms on his chest. "Didn't he tell you?" When I shook my head, he added "Yes, he's married. He and Daisy have been together since... since forever" he gasped. "They moved to the US together. They got married there, their son was born there."

Their SON?!

After a couple of seconds of utter silence, I murmured "Wow" looking away. "He never mentioned them. I guess that we're not friends enough to share this kind of stuff yet."

Somehow, Sebastian understood how much I was upset about this.

"Toby is the most inattentive guy in the entire world" he sighed. "He would forget and lose his head anywhere, if it wasn't attached to his neck." He took my hand and caressed it with tenderness. "Trust me, Lily, he considers you a friend. If he didn't, he wouldn't have taken you out or showed you that drawing. He must have been so stressed out that the thought of telling you about Daisy didn't even cross his mind. Plus, he's very private about his personal life and it takes a little bit longer for him to... show his real self to others."

His words touched me very deeply, both because they were the expression of how much Sebastian cared about Toby, and because they were confirming that what I had felt was true: Toby considered me a friend. But I would have preferred to hear this truth from him directly, to be honest. And so I couldn't help being a bit angry at him.

"Thank you for telling me" I said.

Sebastian kissed me again, maybe to authenticate the affection he had just expressed, showing me he meant it and that everything was okay. I loved him more than ever and he was mine now.

I spent the rest of the ride with my head on his shoulder as he would caress my hair and stroke his chin on my forehead. The cab stopped, Sebastian paid the driver, took his suitcase and we headed together towards the white front door of his house. I gave a look around and realized that the building and the surroundings were exactly like I had always imagined when I pictured Sebastian's residence in my mind. White townhouses with white front doors, white blinds, white columns and black railings right in front a small park full of trees. Nothing like the brownish brick buildings of the area where Felicity and I lived.

Sebastian unlocked the door with his keys and opened it. "Ladies first" he said, theatrically inviting me to come inside.

I smiled and accepted the invitation.

When I walked through the doorway I was welcomed by a caramel wallpaper and a Van Gogh painting. On the right, there was a white staircase to the upper floors and, in front of me, a long corridor led to the other side of the house. I started walking down there as Sebastian dragged his suitcase up the exterior stairs. A door on the right side of the corridor opened on a spacious living room, with a fireplace, a wooden table on a fancy black carpet between two big white sofas, white walls filled with books, and some pieces of decorations all over the furniture, the walls and the floor. And, of course, there was a huge plasma television above the fireplace.