Chapter 18: Young and beautiful

"Will you still love me

When I've got nothing but my aching soul?

I know you will, I know you will

I know that you will"

-Lana Del Rey

*

Felicity was biting her nails, nervous, worried, sad and angry. The waiting room in the hospital was so white that it made her even more nervous, and white used to be her favorite colour. Sitting on the plastic chair, she started to move her leg, her heel making tapping noises on the linoleum floor. Toby and Sebastian were the only people there and seemed not remotely bothered by it, their eyes were staring off into something that only they could see.

Her phone rang and she picked up immediately. "Ben" she answered, already knowing it was her brother.

"Hey, Fee" his calming voice said. "Any news?"

She shook her head, although he couldn't see her, and got up, walking towards the window. "She is still in surgery. A doctor came one hour ago and almost refused to give updates because none of us is Lily's relative. But I pointed out that the three of us are the only ones she can call family, so..."

"I can imagine what you mean with 'pointed out'" he commented, a little amused.

"Yes, I have watched Terms of Endearment too many times" Felicity admitted.

Ben took a deep breath. "Is there anything I can do for you and Lily?"

Her eyes filled with tears, but she managed to hold them. "I feel so guilty, Ben" she whispered. She didn't want Toby and Sebastian to hear. "I could have prevented all of this. If something happens to her, I will never forgive myself."

"It's not your fault, Fee. It's nobody's fault. It was an accident!"

"She could have died!" Felicity moaned. The tears came back and this time she couldn't help letting them out.

The images of Lily falling backwards and hitting her head on the fountain edge, of her blank and scared eyes moving fast before she closed them, of the bloodstain on the fountain stone, would have haunted Felicity forever. Her best friend... her sister... Felicity's heart was broken, she would have given anything to be in her place.

"Everything is going to be alright, Fee" Ben reassured her. He was her big brother, he would have always protected her, even and especially from the biggest pains. "Now I have to go" he went on. "I need to have some sleep before going to work. Call me or text me for any news, okay?"

"Sure" Felicity said. "Talk soon."

She hung up and rubbed her eyes to wipe the tears. A hand appeared on her left, it was holding a Kleenex and she took it to blow her nose. She raised her head and met Sebastian's puffy hazel eyes.

"Thank you" she said.

He said nothing, just stood there, his arms crossed on his chest. He looked so broken. Felicity didn't know him very much, they had never exchanged a word without Lily being there too, but she had developed quite a good opinion of him over time. At first, he could seem one of those rich guys interested in stylish stuff and fake women, but he wasn't anything like that. Those guys wouldn't have looked at Lily the way he did, the way she had always wished and deserved, like she was a gift from above. For this reason, Felicity trusted him and his feelings for Lily.

She turned around to look at Toby, who was still sitting there, silent, blank eyes staring off, and felt sorry for him too.

The same doctor Felicity had scolded just one hour before came into the waiting room and all three of them returned to life. Toby was the nearest and, therefore, was the first to reach the doctor and ask "How is she?"

She - the doctor was a middle-aged Pakistani woman - looked at them and said "She is good, the surgery was a success."

Felicity, Toby and Sebastian breathed a big sigh of relief. Toby rubbed his face with his hands, Sebastian thanked God and Felicity took a step forward, her eyes filled with tears of joy.

"Will she be alright now? Can we see her?" she asked, her voice broken.

"She was very lucky. The bleeding was limited and, as far as we know now, she won't suffer any serious consequences. She needs to rest. We'll know more when she wakes up."

"Thank you, Doctor" Sebastian said.

The doctor left and silence fell for a moment.

Felicity faced Toby and Sebastian. "Get back to the bed & breakfast and have some sleep" she said. "I will stay here and wait for her to wake up."

"I'm not going anywhere" Toby protested.

"I'm her boyfriend" Sebastian said, ignoring Toby. "I have the right to stay here."

"Yes, but you haven't slept in more than twenty-four hours, Sebastian" Felicity pointed out. Then she looked at Toby. "And he can't drive, Toby. Please, go with him. You will come tomorrow, guys."

Toby shook his head. "I can't leave her" he insisted. "It's my fault if she's here."

All the rage, fear and exhaustion that Sebastian had inside his body took a toll on him in that moment. "Of course it's your fault!" he hissed. "You ruin everything you touch. I won't let you ruin her life more than you already have."

Before Toby could respond, Felicity raised her hands and exclaimed. "Okay! STOP!" They both turned towards her. "It's nobody's fault! Lily is alright and she will be hurt to see the two of you being assholes to each other AGAIN! So, let the adult here" she indicated herself "be in charge of the situation. Lily needs to stay calm when she will wake up and the last thing I want her to be is upset because of you! You have done enough already! Now, you children, go to sleep!"

She looked them straight in the eye to emphasize her words and the two men, without looking at each other, left in silence. Felicity took a deep breath and headed to the vending machine to get some coffee. It was going to be a very long day, after the longest night.