Chapter 11: Keep holding on

"You're not alone

Together we stand

I'll be by your side

You know I'll take your hand"

-Avril Lavigne

*

"... and my niece threw the birthday cake I have baked for my dad on the floor" Felicity sighed on the other line. "Everyone burst into laughter and I stood there like an idiot, strawberries, cream and candles on my legs and feet. On my Jimmy Choos, Lily! MY JIMMY CHOOS! Can you imagine that?! The worst moment of my entire life!"

Honestly, I was trying my best not to laugh, but I just could not admit that her tale was hilarious as hell! Those shoes she was talking about were a big gift she gave to herself two years before. She had saved a lot of money to buy them, I knew how much she loved them. Roughly as much as I loved Sherlock, for example.

I closed a drawer and put my clothes on the bed. Since I was on speaker, Felicity heard the sound and asked "Any plans for tonight?"

"Yeah" I replied, examining my tops. "I'm going to the movies, in Leicester Square."

"Oh, cool!" she approved. "Glad to hear that you're having a great time while I'm away. Are you going with Sebastian?"

"No" I said, quite distracted by the choice between a yellow top and a black and white one. "With Toby."

There was a short silence. "Who the hell is Toby?"

"Sebastian's friend" I explained, picking the yellow top. "We met him that day in St. James Park, don't you remember?"

"Oh, yes!" she exclaimed after a few seconds. "The cutie with the beard!"

I stopped while putting my black jeans on and looked at my phone like it was Felicity instead. "The cutie with the beard?! Do you LIKE him?!"

"Don't be ridiculous" she chuckled. "You know very well what kind of man I fancy."

Of course I did. For Felicity, the nerder a guy looked, the better. She loved glasses, moustache, ties, tweed jackets, with more brain than sense of humor. Like, a cross between Mr. Bean - for the looks and clumsiness - and Hercule Poirot - for the grace and smartness -. There's no accounting for taste. Toby, of course, wasn't anything like that. "I just think he's cute" she pointed out. "Don't you?"

I thought of his amber eyes and replied "I suppose he is cute. Yes." I cleared my throat and finished wearing my clothes. "Anyway, Sebastian is in the US. I'll tell you everything tomorrow."

"I guess you miss him very much."

I nodded and my eyes went to his picture. My heart skipped a beat. "I do."

Sebastian had texted me that morning. He was deeply sorry for not telling me about his trip, he had been in such a rush and couldn't have a rest for twenty-four hours after departing from London. I had replied that he shouldn't have been sorry at all, that I understood. Then, he had promised to go to dinner together upon his return, maybe within a week.

"Come back to me, Sebastian" I prayed.

***

I headed to Leicester Square. The meeting point was by the Odeon theatre, where they were showing The Conjuring 2. While I was waiting for Toby, I texted Sebastian, asking if he was alright. He sent me a picture of a tasty looking buffet, with the capture: 

I'm not sleeping at all, but at least I will not starve to death.

After that one, he sent a picture of himself with his mouth full of food and a hilarious expression on his face.