Chapter 24: So close

"You're in my arms

And all the world is calm

The music playing on for only two

So close together

And when I'm with you

So close to feeling alive"

-Jon McLaughlin

*

Toby waited for me at the office building entrance, we jumped on a cab together and headed to his house.

He lived in a two-story brown house with a black front door, a parking lot in the front and a backyard. When we got inside, I noticed that his relocation was still going on. There were boxes, suitcases and bags scattered everywhere and the furniture was still pretty much non existent.

"I'm sorry for the mess" he apologized. "I still had no time to dedicate to my new house."

He brought me to the most complete room that I could see, the kitchen. "Please take a seat" he indicated a stool by a counter and as I sat there, he opened the fridge. "Would you like something to drink? Water, Coke, beer...?"

"Beer, please" I said. "Thank you."

He took two bottles of beer, handed me one and leaned his elbows on the counter.

"I like it here" I commented, looking around. I took a sip of beer.

"Thanks" Toby said, doing the same. "So, before ordering our take away dinner, would you like to explain your urgency?"

I took a deep breath and started to spin around the bottle in my hands. "I had an argument with Sebastian today."

"Oh" he whispered, surprised. "What happened?"

I looked at him. "He tried to convince me to get back together with him and when I said no..."

"Why did you say no?"

I frowned. "Well... I have no feelings for him. Why should I say yes?"

Toby shrugged. "Why shouldn't you give him a chance?"

I chuckled. "What's wrong with you and Felicity?" I exclaimed. "Are you Team Sebastian or something? Is this the new Twilight and I didn't know it?!"

"It depends. Sebastian would be the vampire or the werewolf?" Toby laughed, drinking more beer.

I struggled not to laugh. "Well, you are the one with the beard, so..."

"What? Can't vampires have beards?" I shook my head. "Gary Oldman in Bram Stoker's Dracula had one!" he pointed out.

"It was BEFORE he became a vampire" I said, rolling my eyes. "You are the werewolf, deal with it. You do walk in the sunlight, but I actually never saw you touching silver."

"Maybe I'm a hybrid."

"That's Underworld, not Twilight!"

We burst into laughter together and finished our beers as the sun began to set.

"I guess he wasn't happy when you said no" Toby said in a serious tone after a moment of silence.

"He wasn't" I confirmed. I looked him straight in the eye. "What did really happen that night, Toby? Sebastian said you two fought over me, is that true?"

His eyes became big and darker and never left mine. "Yes and no."

My heart skipped a beat. "Meaning?"