Chapter 33: Rumor has it

"Bless your soul, you've got your head in the clouds

You made a fool out of you

And, boy, she's bringing you down"

-Adele

*

Sunday came and Felicity was nervous, but not for herself - although it turned out that Toby seriously meant to introduce her to some local bachelors -, for Lily. She wasn't sure that her friend was ready to attend the birthday party, being surrounded by Toby and Daisy's family members and friends. She was doing it just to please Sebastian, who wanted to see his friend Daisy again after a long time.

At least, Amanda was not coming. She claimed she had to meet someone elsewhere for business reasons; Felicity didn't buy it, rather believing that Daisy didn't want her in her house. After having spent three days with them, Felicity still couldn't understand what exactly Toby liked about Amanda. Yes, she was beautiful, smart in her own way and full of life, but the more Felicity would observe the two of them together, the more she felt... a void. There was something missing. Like their chemistry didn't exist at all, like they were two cute pieces of a perfect puzzle but wouldn't fit with one another, despite the fact that they were clearly trying hard.

"Are you ready?" Toby asked entering Felicity's temporary bedroom - borrowed from his son - while she was putting her make-up on. Upon seeing her, he whistled in appreciation. "Wow, you're going to break all my friends' hearts, aren't you?"

"Oh, please stop it" Felicity laughed. "It's a birthday party for a six-year-old kid, I'm not going to be a scene-stealer."

Toby got closer to her. "Felicity, you are the exact same copy of Emma Stone in La La Land with this yellow dress. You will catch the attention of many, trust me."

Felicity would have never admitted that she had actually been looking for that dress all around London just to look like Emma Stone in La La Land and wear it at that party. She finished putting her pink lip gloss on and turned towards him. "Well, if you're trying to tell me that I look pretty in a friendly way, then thank you! Let's go."

She grabbed his arm and, laughing, they walked arm in arm towards the front door.

"Baaaaby!" came Amanda's voice from the kitchen behind them. Lily was so right, she had quite an annoying voice. "Did you remember to put Robbie's present in the trunk?"

Felicity was quite sure that she was the only one calling Toby's son "Robbie".

"Yes, baby, I did it ten minutes ago" he replied.

"Enjoy the party and kiss Robbie for me!" she squeaked and hopped barefoot towards him, then she stopped and he bent to kiss her.

"See you later" he said, smiling at her. "Have a good day."

"Bye!" she replied, waving at them and returning to the kitchen.

Felicity watched all of this with fascination, but internally vomited. Maybe because she was taking sides, or maybe because her gut didn't approve that couple. She just couldn't help it. When she and Toby got in his car, she realized it was the first time they were alone since her arrival. She thought of seeking clarification about his relationship with Amanda, but chose not to. At the end of the day, it was none of her business and he would have felt judged for sure. Ruining that day of celebration and possibly their friendship because of Amanda was pointless.

"So" Toby began shortly after they left the garage, "Lily and Sebastian will be there too?"

Felicity turned towards him. "This is the first time I hear you mentioning them ever since I set foot here" she commented. He didn't reply, so she added "Yes, they will. Daisy invited them and Sebastian insisted to come."