Chapter 5

Chapter 5
The weekend had passed and Emily had not heard from Alison. No message, no phone call and though the blonde had yelled at her to leave Emily couldn't help but think of her.
Her eyes, her cheeks, her lips...
Come on Emily snap out of it.
She would constantly find herself thinking back to that night. The way Alison's legs wrapped around her, they way they kissed... Emily could not think of a time where she had felt like that.
The brunette was not looking forward to that day at school, she did badly want to see Alison but she did not know how she would react.
As she parked in her usual spot Emily noticed Alison and Noel speaking, not only were they talking to each other but Emily noticed they were rather close. Alison's hand was placed on his arm and she had her trademark smile on. Emily suddenly felt a hint of jealous as she looked at the pair. Trying desperately to put on a tough face Emily got out of her car and headed towards the school.
Before she could think of anything to say, Emily noticed that Alison was joined by her friends and Ben had also joined the party.
They all seemed deep in conversation so Emily decided to not bother speaking to Alison, it would be awkward and Emily was definitely out numbered.
As the brunette tried to disappear into the crowd Alison had quickly caught her eye and immediately looked away, she was hoping that Emily would not talk to her in front of everyone. Especially not Noel, especially not after Friday night. Her body still ached from the confrontation.
'So Noel what happened to you eye?' Hanna asked. Alison was brought back to reality and looked over at Noel. His face didn't show much emotion, he mustn't have thought of a cover up story yet.
'Oh he was at my house before the party and we were drinking some champagne but I opened it weird and it hit him.'
Alison's story was believable and Noel seemed to appreciate it, he smiled and placed his arm around her. The sensation was weird, it wasn't that Alison felt something weird; it was that she didn't feel anything at all that bothered her but when Emily touched her Alison felt everything! However the blonde was pushing those thoughts aside.
'So are you two together now then?'
Spencer asked, pointing between Alison and Noel.
'Yeah we are.' Noel interjected.
'No, not yet Mister! You've still got some proving to do.' Alison and Noel had come to some form of agreement that they would "get together" on Alison's terms, just how she liked it. Out of the corner of her eye Alison could see Emily walking through the crowd attempting to hide from the group.
'Oh hey there, Fields!' Noel bellowed at her, she tried to ignore him but it was next to impossible.
'I didn't see you at the party on Friday! We all missed you.' Noel's sarcasm could be heard from miles away and Emily's facial expression was unimpressed... Not that this bothered Alison at all...
'Didn't we Ali?' Noel turned his attention to Alison when the annoyed Emily stopped in front of the group, all the girls looked towards Emily and then at Alison. Everyone could tell that there was tension, however no one knew why.
'We need to talk.'
Emily spoke firmly, is startled Alison a bit. She wasn't expecting Emily to talk in front of the others.
'I told you guys she talks.' Noel laughed. Alison shifted under his hold, she suddenly became very uncomfortable and she wanted to go home. Emily however, stood her ground and did not speak again. She merely waited until Alison finally looked at her and nodded.
'We already know Noel.' Hanna spoke neutrally. He voice too stunned to present any form of sentiment. She was too concentrated at the situation in front of her to realise what she was actually saying.
Heading away from the group and back to the front of the school Emily walked with confidence, not looking back but assuming Alison had followed.
Alison walked behind her, dreading the conversation that was about to happen, when she noticed that Emily was limping, rather severely too. She knew in that moment that it was because of the brawl with Noel. Feeling guilt spread through her body Alison immediately wanted to apologise to Emily but she couldn't.
Emily turned to face the blonde, who had incidentally been looking at her limp.
'So you're talking to everyone now then?' Alison questioned, the now shy Emily looked away from her, all signs of confidence gone as she looked back to Alison.
'No, just you.' Her words were soft and Alison felt more guilt. Just apologise to her, damn it! Though Alison was the only close enough to Emily she could tell there were eyes on her. She knew full well that Noel and Ben were probably talking about swimming but still had their eye on the two of them and her three friends would just be staring the situation down, analysing everything.
Alison sighed, there were going to be questions later but she would reach that bridge when she got to it. Emily watched the blonde, her mind obviously not all there and she could feel the distant between them.
'Are we going to talk about what happened Friday night?' Emily finally spoke.
'Nothing happened that night Emily, except that I went to Noel's party.' Alison voice was neutral; she tried desperately hard to hide any emotion.
'I meant before then.' Though Emily knew Alison was avoiding the topic, she wasn't standing for it. Alison was not going to do this to her.
'I'm not...' Alison began but she couldn't look at Emily's eyes when she spoke. They were too easy to fall into.
'Not what?' Emily asked when Alison didn't continue.
'Not gay! I'm not gay Emily!' Alison almost shouted when she spoke and in that moment, for the first time in weeks, Emily saw that nasty side of Alison. The side that tortured and bullied people, her eyes lost all signs of any passion towards Emily and instead showed rage.
'So... what? You're going to run back him now?' Emily matched the blonde's level of volume and pointed towards Noel, the whole group had moved closer to the conversation when Alison raised her voice, even though they would have clearly heard what the angered blonde had said.
'Yes. Yes I am!' Alison's words were harsh. Emily felt her heart sink further at them.
'Then, you're a pathetic coward.' Emily's words were even worse than Alison's and for a moment Emily thought she saw hurt in the blondes bright blue eyes but it disappeared quicker than it had arrived.
'Hey!' Noel had moved to Alison's side and almost launched at Emily. His fury was easily seen but Ben held him back. Emily's hand instinctively went into her jacket where she had been keeping her army knife nearby after the run in with Noel. She did not draw the weapon; she just placed her hand on it letting herself feel some sense of security.
'Careful Noel, you wouldn't want another champagne cork to your eye.' Emily had no idea where her confidence had come from but she saw instantly both Noel and Alison's facial expression change at her words. The others in the group merely looked at the three in confusion and thought it was a strange remark to make, however Alison and Noel knew exactly what Emily meant.
They knew Emily had given him the bruise and as they looked at the brunette they could see that she also had an injury above her eye and a bandage around her wrist.
Emily had felt a sharp pain when she had arrived home from Alison's that night and figured she had sprained the muscle.
As Emily looked at the group in front of her the only person she could see was Alison. Her eyes wide with shock but her stance showed just as much defence as Emily.
'Good bye, Alison.' Emily's words had so much meaning behind them and Alison heard it as the brunette walked away and back to her car. There was no way Emily was going to school today. Emily didn't look back as she drove away and once she was out of site she let the tears fall. The brunette didn't know why she was expecting any different from Alison; she wasn't going to change because of one kiss. Even if the kiss was perfect beyond compare.
'Emily, sweetie? What are you doing home?' Emily's mother had a surprised look on her face when her daughter stormed into the house and up the stairs towards her room. Emily did not bother to answer her mother, she figured that her mother would just shrug it off because she didn't know what to say or do. It was easier that way in her family. If no one talked about it then the problem wasn't really there. Emily however just wanted her mother to try, but after several months it became too hard for them both.
Dropping her bag at her door, Emily fell face first onto her bed. She was beyond embarrassed. How could Alison do this to her? Emily stood by Alison, she defended her against that monster of a boy Noel and yet Alison went straight back to him. It angered Emily, and yet she still felt jealous and confused. How could she be jealous? She had known Alison for not even a month! Alison was the first person that Emily spoke to after the incident.
"Come on Em! The party is inside! "
My friends called to me as we got out of the taxi. I wasn't even sure why we took a taxi. We're 15 for goodness sakes. I would've been happy with pizza and a movie but no, we had to go out to a party. Oh well, this could be fun. I just have to stay positive. I hastily walk to catch up with my friends. All of us were looking dressed up and rather cute. As we reached the front door of the senior boy's house we all got a little giggly when they opened the door and complimented us. I don't even remember them; I definitely didn't know who they were and I didn't even know whose party this was! But it was better than being at home alone with my Mum.
"Em! This is one of my brother's friends; he said he'd like to meet you. "
My friend Erica had introduced me to one of the senior boys. He was cute. He presented me his hand and we shook momentarily. Before I knew it we were pushed onto the dance floor. Well it was more a room with music than a dance floor but regardless I was close with this boy. I didn't even know his name at that point but I guess it was just fun. Especially after a long week at school.
The music pumped away and I could feel the older boy's hands on my waist. At first it bothered me but I was too scared to say anything, I didn't want my friends to think I was boring. The boy and I continued to dance and after what seemed like hours of dancing he offered to get me a drink. I nodded and he disappeared.
"Oh my gosh, he is so cute!"
Erica was at my side in seconds. She had been dancing with one of the other seniors at the party, and they were becoming friendly. I, however, was content with just dancing.
"He is!"
I screamed over the music and within seconds the boy had returned with an unopened can of drink.
"Just so you didn't think I drugged you or something!"
I hadn't even thought about that, but with an unopened can of drink it would be hard to succeed in that endeavour.
"Thanks."
'Emily?' The brunette was bought back to reality with her mother standing in the doorway of her bedroom; she quickly wiped away the tears that were streaming down her face. Emily wasn't sure if it was because of what had happened with Emily or if it was the remembering of what happened so many months ago.
'Are you okay?' Her mother asked as she sat down on the edge of the bed. Emily sniffed softly and nodded. Moments later her mother stood from the bed and went to walk out, attempting to leave Emily in peace.
'Mum...' Emily spoke softly. She was nervous about talking to her mother. She didn't know what the reaction would be. At first her mother merely turned around, as if she wasn't sure that she had actually heard her daughter or if she was just imagining things. 'I'm sorry Mum.' Emily burst into tears when her mother didn't reply, it wasn't that she felt she was ignoring her; it was that a wave had rushed over Emily.
Everything that had happened became so much more real when she looked into her mother's eyes. Instantly Pam ran to her daughter's side and embraced her. This was the first time in over eight months Emily had spoken to her and she was going to make sure that she was okay.
'Don't be sorry Em.' Pam held Emily close to her and let the tears fall. They both knew this day would come.