Chapter 17

Chapter 17
Alison felt the icy morning breeze hit her already cold skin as she got out of her car at the lookout on the outskirts of Rosewood. It was still so early that the morning mist glided over the small town and made it almost impossible to see.
Alison wrapped her hands around herself and shut her car door. At first she momentarily thought of waiting inside the warm vehicle but decided against it, the blonde wanted to be aware of her surroundings and she would be able to hear everything from where she was.
After about ten minutes of waiting Alison felt like it had been hours, pulling out her phone she began thinking Noel was just messing with her but as she entered the last number to her lock pin a message appeared.
Nothing is ever as it seems Alison; however I'm glad no one followed you. Now head down the old path
Alison looked around; there was no sign of anyone but without a second thought she headed for the old path that lead to an old section of the lookout that was closed years ago due to structure problems. She was going to find Emily, no matter what it would take.
Emily felt the fresh sting of water hit her face causing her to cough and splutter her way out of her slumber. Her hands were still tied but the brunette found it pointless, she was in too much pain to be escaping. The blood that had been dripping from her arms and stomach had dried and began cracking from the cold.
"Good morning Fields. Sleep well?" Noel said as he held the camera in his hands, the red light was flashing and it was pointing on her.
"I don't remember." Emily's tone was sarcastic but her words were broken, even with several hours of sleep it was obvious the brunette was becoming exhausted and weak.
"Don't be like that. Now I have a little surprise for you today." Emily's eyes had been opening and closing repeatedly from fatigue but when Noel spoke of surprises she lifted her eyebrows curiously. "I thought that would catch your attention. You see Fields since you won't say what I want and you're a lot stronger than I thought, I decided to get someone who would help you. Shall we draw our attention to the door?"
Noel moved away from Emily and headed to the closed door, placing his hand on the handle the camera and Emily's eyes followed each movement. The brunette's heart increased in anticipation as she waited for Noel to open the door.
Emily heard the small click of the door being open, her vision was blurry and she was struggling to really focus on anything that wasn't directly in front of her.
"Come through." Noel commanded to the person on the other side. Emily forced herself to focus on the door as a shadow slowly appeared.
"Emily!" A familiar voice cheered. Emily's spirits lifted at the sound of Alison DiLaurentis' voice.
Alison stood in the doorway, when she realised Noel had actually brought her to Emily's location the only she could think of was running to the brunette's side.
Within seconds Emily could feel Alison's hands on her cheeks, at first there was a sharp pain from the contact but it was soon a comforting touch.
"Ali?" At first Emily was sure she was dreaming. "Is this what heaven is like?" When the brunette thought harder on the fact she was sure she had died from the amount of blood she had lost.
"No sweetie." Alison chuckled and cried at the same time at Emily's sweet remark. The brunette was in noticeable pain, the cuts and bruises on her body were significantly worse in person. "This is real."
"What a sweet display of affection. Wouldn't you agree Rosewood?" Noel had been standing in the background with the camera on the pair. Alison and Emily turned their heads waiting for something more from the boy; he stood in front of them with the camera smiling triumphantly.
"Your quarrel is with me. Let Emily go." Alison stood and directed her words towards Noel; she just wanted Emily to be safe.
Noel looked down at Alison and moved the camera onto the small desk, leaving it recording and on Emily. However the brunette was almost unconscious from exhaustion again, Alison followed Noel's eyes and moved back down to hold the brunette's cheeks.
"Em you stay awake, okay? Emily forced a small nod but felt she wasn't going to be able to hold on forever, her eyes had a mind of their own and they were closing every second they could.
"You two wait right here." Noel said with a sarcastic tone as he left the room and closed the door behind him.
"Ali what are you doing here?" Emily breathed and swallowed through every few words, it was a struggle to even open her mouth let alone form a sentence.
"I couldn't stand it Emily. I couldn't wait anymore." Alison knelt in front of Emily; the brunette's cheek and eyebrow was that severely bruised and cut that it had almost closed over her whole eye. Alison felt tears well in her eyes as she took in Emily's injuries.
Her shirt was torn and a deep new wound sat on her stomach, the blood had stopped but it was lingering in the gash and Alison was sure it would cause an infection if it didn't get cleaned soon. The blonde's attention was then brought to Emily's arms, two deep and very long abrasions sat on both arms. Alison looked upon the cuts closely and it would seem someone had tried to stop the bleeding at one point; obviously Noel didn't want Emily to die.
"You've got to get out of here Ali." Emily whispered as Alison continued to observe the new injuries on her.
"I'm not leaving you." Alison's words were strong and Emily knew she was not going to win, Alison had her mind set and that was how it was staying, not that Noel would let Alison leave at that point anyway. "You're freezing Em." Alison began whispering too but she wasn't sure why, she was sure Noel had his eyes and ears on them.
Taking off her jacket Alison placed it over Emily's cold chest and after a few short moments the brunette's small shivering subsided.
"We're going to get out of here Em." Alison was making a promise she was hoping she could keep it. The blonde had no idea where she was but when she had made it to the old lookout path Noel met up with her and covered her eyes so she had no idea where she was going. However Alison knew it couldn't have been far from the lookout because Noel guided her while they walked.
"Do you know where we are?" Emily's arms struggled in her hold, she instinctively wanted to touch Alison but she had forgotten she was tied. The blonde's eyes moved to Emily's hands and went to un-do the rope.
"You don't know?" Alison was mildly surprised; she gathered that Emily would have known because Ben must have driven her here.
"No. Ben knocked me out when I got in the car. I have no clue." Alison spent several minutes attempting to un-tie the knot, when she finally managed to free Emily her arms limply fell to her sides. As time passed Emily mustered the strength to lift her hands to Alison's cheeks, holding them tenderly.
"I missed you." Emily croaked. Alison moved into Emily's hold and placed her hand over the brunette's, her hands were still icy cold which reminded Alison where they both were.
"I missed you." Alison whispered before looking over to the camera that sat on the table innocently but Alison knew that everyone was watching and Noel was sitting in that room behind his laptop screen smiling to himself. Slowly Alison stood and walked over to the camera, Emily watched the blonde curiously.
"What are you doing?" Emily asked.
"I'm finishing this." Alison picked up the camera with it still facing her and looked straight through the lens. "Goodbye Rosewood." Alison turned the camera and threw it against the wall hard. Hearing a loud crash the camera fell to the ground in pieces and Alison turned back to Emily kneeling in front of her again.
"You're not a show for anyone anymore."Alison's hand went to Emily's cheek holding it kindly. The blonde slowly moved into Emily, as she parted her lips to kiss her gently something grabbed her hair and pulled back.
"That was a very nice camera Alison; it was a present from my parents." Noel yelled as he pushed Alison to the ground and held her arms above her head.
"Well don't you think they'll be ashamed of the way you're using it?" Alison spat back, Noel may have been stronger than her but at least he was away from Emily now.
"I wouldn't be so confident; you have no one to rescue you this time." Both Noel and Alison looked over to Emily; the brunette was still awake but barely.
"Leave her alone Noel." Emily murmured softly, her voice broken and tired.
"Or what Fields?" Noel reached for his gun and pressed it against Alison's head, the blonde instinctively shut her eyes as fear spread through her.
"Don't!" Emily managed to yell, the adrenaline rushed through her as she watched Noel unclip the safety on his gun.
"You can't win Noel." Alison whispered through clenched teeth, she was trying to be brave like Emily but didn't realise it would be this difficult.
"And what makes you say that Alison?" Noel focused his attention back on the blonde beneath him, he felt a strong sense of power as he held the gun to Alison and he knew she could sense it.
"There's no camera, there's no one watching. You've lost." Alison smiled to herself, she realised how empowering it was to talk to Noel like this, even if he did hold the gun.
"I haven't lost yet..." Noel stood from Alison and pulled her from the ground; she was mildly surprised but didn't speak. "Kiss me."
Noel's words weren't a question and nor were they a threat, he simply stood in front of Alison and waited for a response. The blonde raised her eyebrows ironically and stepped back from the boy.
"No." Alison said in disgust. Noel's smiled faded but returned just as quickly as it had left. He quickly pointed the gun at Emily and cocked the trigger, when Alison heard the small clip she knew it was a warning and she couldn't lose Emily.
"Don't." Alison placed her hand on the gun lowering it away from Emily, Noel turned back to the blonde while smiling triumphantly. Emily watched the pair with cautious eyes, she was moving in and out of consciousness but she was awake and alert when Noel asked Alison to kiss him.
When Noel had fully lowered his gun, his other hand moved to Alison's cheek pulling her in for a kiss. Emily felt jealousy spread through her as Noel's arms wrapped around the blonde's waist, she wanted to stand and knock Noel on his back but she could barely even keep her eyes from closing.
Moments later Alison sharply, quickly and forcefully threw her knee into Noel's stomach causing him to lose his breath and drop his gun. Just has quickly as she had kneed Noel Alison picked the gun from the floor and held it to him, as he caught his breath the dark hair boy smiled and chuckled softly at Alison.
"You couldn't shoot me Alison." Noel's words were a challenge and he knew he was going to win. Alison was too scared and she had never used a gun before. After several moments of silence Alison lowered the gun slowly and stepped away from Noel.
"You're right. I'm not like you." Alison uncocked the gun and watched Noel smile.
"That's right but unfortunately for you Alison..." Noel quickly moved towards Emily and he moved faster than Alison could focus. Pulling out his pocket knife Noel held Emily tightly and forced the blade into Emily's upper abdomen and a loud scream followed the impact. "...You should have pulled the trigger." Noel twisted the blade inside Emily and watched Alison crumble underneath the site, the brunette's screams became short and barely existent after a few moments. Noel let the blade go and left it to sit in Emily's almost lifeless body.
Alison ran to Emily's side and let her hands go to the brunette's cheeks. Alison realised she had dropped the gun and looked over her shoulder to find Noel but when she turned he was gone and so was his gun.
Emily began coughing which drew Alison's attention back to her. Blood was falling from Emily quickly and Alison's hands went around the blade to stop as much as she could. When Emily coughed a second time blood fell from her lips.
"It's okay; you're going to be okay." Alison told Emily but she was also telling herself. Emily felt her eyes fall weak but she kept them open, the pain in her stomach was excruciating but her eyes never left Alison's. "I'm so sorry Em, this is all my fault."
"Hey..." Emily said as she lifted her fingers to catch a tear that fell from Alison's eyes. "None of this is your fault. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me." Alison smiled softly into Emily's cold hand. There was a loud banging on the door and then a voice followed.
"Emily? Alison? Are you in there?" Toby's voice came from the other side and Alison felt her spirits life.
"Yeah we're here!" Alison didn't want to leave Emily's side as she yelled out to Toby.
"Okay we're coming in! The door is locked tight so stand back!" Toby had a calm voice but Alison could sense his panic.
"Please hurry!" Alison looked back down at Emily; her hand had fallen back to her side and her eyes had shut. "Emily! Please stay awake." However Emily's eyes didn't open but she was lightly breathing and Alison felt a pinch of relief.
Seconds later Toby and another police officer barged through the door breaking its hinges, followed by detective Tanner with her gun ready.
"He's not here. Now please help her." Toby's hand went to his shoulder radio and began ordering for an ambulance. Detective Tanner went to Alison's side and checked Emily's pulse.
"She's still breathing. We need to get her out." The unknown officer and Toby made their way over to Emily.
"The ambulance will be here soon." Toby moved over to Emily and took his police jacket off. "We need to keep her warm in the mean time."
After what felt like an eternity of waiting a man and woman with blue uniforms burst into the room carrying a stretcher.
"Step back." The woman said to Alison as they began slowly placing Emily into a neck brace. At first the blonde didn't want to leave Emily's side but she knew it would be okay.
After the ambulance officers strapped Emily into the stretcher they carried her outside and through an old path. Alison didn't bother taking in her surroundings, she merely watched and followed Emily.
When the group made it to the lookout and started loading Emily into the ambulance Alison noticed her car was missing.
"Toby my car is gone." Alison grabbed Toby's arm and continued to look around the car park.
"Did you leave it locked?" Toby and Alison watched the ambulance officers hook Emily to several machines. Alison felt in her pockets and noticed her keys were also missing.
"Noel must have taken it." Alison said in a frustrated tone, Toby spoke into his radio again altering other officers of the situation. Moments later the male officer got in the front of the vehicle and started the engine.
"Can I come?" Alison asked the female officer.
"Are you family?" She asked. Alison paused and looked over at Toby.
"I'm her girlfriend." The woman looked over at Toby and then Tanner, she nodded approval and the ambulance officer offered Alison her hand and pulled her into the vehicle.
"You go with them." Tanner ordered Toby, he nodded and pulled himself into the ambulance. Shutting the door Tanner banged on the door and the ambulance took off. Alison watched as the female officer put an oxygen mask on Emily and started putting needles into her arms.
"Ali?" The brunette muffled through the mask. The ambulance officer looked down at Emily and observed her.
"Emily? You're in an ambulance. You're safe." Her voice was calm and collected; it was even soothing for Alison whose heart jumped at Emily's voice.
"Where's Alison?" Emily's voice was full of panic and she struggled against the hold of the stretcher.
"I'm here." Alison's placed her hand on Emily's shoulders and slowly stroked them in an attempt to calm the brunette.
"Are you okay?" Emily mumbled through the mask while looking up at the blonde, her breath was short and irregular and Alison wanted the brunette to focus on herself but even in such a dangerous situation Emily was still thinking of her.
Alison was sitting at Emily's head looking over her while the ambulance officer played with the needles and tubes surrounding her.
"I'm okay Emmy." Alison said softly as her hands made their way to Emily's cheeks, through the mask Alison could see the brunette form a small smile and her eyes began closing again.
"Please don't let go of me." The brunette whispered through a breath.
"I won't. I'm right here. I promise." Alison's hands continued to stroke Emily's cold cheeks as the ambulance bumped up and down across the road. Emily's eyes shut again and Alison felt panic spread through her momentarily until she looked over at the ambulance officer who didn't seem bothered by the fact.
Alison's eyes ran over Emily's body stained body, the knife was still in her and it was making the blonde sick.
"Can't you take that out yet?" Alison's eyes were still on Emily's air mask but officer knew it was directed at her.
"Taking it out will be more fatal than leaving it in." The officer went back to whatever she was doing and didn't bother to look at Alison again. The blonde drew her attention to Toby who had been sitting on the other side of the ambulance and raised her eyebrows curiously at him.
"The blade needs to be surgically removed Ali. It's the safest option for her." Alison nodded softly and looked back down at Emily.
"Officer Cavanaugh, can we get a 10-20 on Alison DiLaurentis?" Alison's eyes shot up to the sound of Toby's radio, she looked at him curiously. Turning his neck to his shoulder Toby answered the woman on the other line.
"Yeah Alison is with me."
"And we need a 10-45 on Emily Fields." The woman spoke again seconds later. From what Alison heard '10-20' meant location or something similar but she couldn't figure out 10-45 until Toby looked over to the ambulance officer.
"Critical." The woman murmured as if knowing the context of the conversation.
"We have a 10-45C on Emily Fields. We will arrive at the hospital soon." Toby looked over at Alison sympathetically. Emily was in a critical state? The blonde could feel tears well in her eye but she tried desperately hard to hold them back, her hands never left Emily.
"You will be met at the hospital by victim's parents, standby for further orders."
The radio went silent and the ambulance came to a slow stop. Toby's hand motioned in front of Alison to wait. The ambulance doors flew open and suddenly people were everywhere, trying to get Emily safely out and keep her stable all in one go. As the stretcher got pulled from the vehicle Alison and Toby followed and almost ran to keep up with the nurses and officers surrounding Emily.
"Patients been stabbed, a great deal of blood loss and is critical. You're going to need to perform surgery immediately." The woman ambulance officer informed one of the Emergency room nurses.
"You can't go any further. I'm sorry." The nurses moved Alison away before pushing Emily through some large white doors and out of sight. Toby held Alison back as she desperately tried to hold onto the stretcher.
"Ali stop there's nothing more we can do." Alison felt her heart race as Emily disappeared.
"I promised her Toby!" Alison struggled against him but she knew it was useless, he was significantly stronger; as Alison gave up she fell against Toby's chest and began crying.
"She's in shock. We need to analyse her as well officer." A male nurse walked over from the main desk in the emergency room and began trying to calm Alison down.
"Toby!" Suddenly Spencer's voice came from the door, when he looked over he also found Hanna and Aria standing with her. He smiled at the sight of his girlfriend; he could use something so beautiful on such a day. Alison escaped from Toby's hold and ran to Hanna's arms, she felt exhausted and she just wanted Emily safe and okay again.
"Where is she?" Hanna murmured softly.
"She's gone into surgery." Toby said when Alison couldn't speak, the blonde had lost all sense of words, she couldn't think straight and her breathing was also irregular.
"Miss DiLaurentis? Can you sit down for me? I promise you Emily is in the best care." Hanna directed Emily to the nurse who had been speaking with Toby, he then directed the girls to a separate room away from the Emergency so it wasn't so crowded.
"I'll wait here for her parents." Toby said with authority as the nurse nodded and walked away.
After Alison had calmed down and was attended to by a doctor the group sat in the empty room waiting for the results of a few tests they had done on her.
"So what happened after the camera broke?" Spencer asked curiously.
"Noel came in and pulled me away from Em and then he pulled out his gun. He made me kiss him but during the kiss I kicked him and took the gun. That's when he stabbed Emily and ran." Alison didn't feel like talking about the story in great detail but she felt she got most of the information in.
"She was stabbed?" Aria asked in a shocked voice, Alison merely nodded and rested her head against Hanna's shoulder.
"Wait, Noel go away?" Spencer asked.
"Yes." Alison answered but before either girl could ask another question the nurse came back into the room and informed Alison she would be okay and that she just needed rest.
He directed them out of the room and back down the corridor to find Toby; from a distance they could hear yelling and screaming and assumed a something had happened in the Emergency Room.
"You selfish, disgusting, horrible man! You have no right to be here!" Alison recognised Pam's voice and began running to the sound, as she turned the corner she was meet with Toby and Wayne holding back Pam from her father.
"Dad?" Alison asked curiously.
"Ah Alison there you are. Let's go." Kenneth seemed to have offended the Fields woman rather greatly but he was merely smiling at her.
"I don't want to go." Kenneth looked over at his daughter with mild surprise, he was shocked she actually stood against him and it displeased him.
"We are going now and I want that woman arrested for assault." Kenneth pointed at Pam who had managed to calm herself. People in the Emergency Room watched curiously as Toby stood between the pair.
"You're lucky I'm not arresting you for assaulting a police officer now it's time for you to leave." Toby words were almost a threat as he wiped away the blood from his jaw. In amongst the fight between Pam and Kenneth, Toby had gotten in the way and got smacked by Kenneth, though it was an accident and Kenneth was aiming for Wayne it was assault none the less.
At Toby's order Kenneth turned to leave and then looked over at Alison.
"Let's go." Alison's father grabbed her hand and pulled her towards the hospital exit. Spencer, Hanna and Aria shouted at him to let her go but he simply ignored them.
"Toby?" Spencer asked as she indicated at how rough Kenneth was being.
"I can't do anything Spence. He's her father and he's entitled to take her wherever and whenever he pleases." Toby felt helpless, there was already enough trouble in the Emergency Room and he needed to get this under control. "You three need to leave. You know I will let you know when Emily is out. They said it was going to be a while." Hanna and Spencer exchanged looks before looking over at Emily's parents, Pam was crying into Wayne's shoulder and he still seemed aggravated from the argument.
Slowly turning the three girls left the hospital and walked over the Spencer's car.
"We need to go help Ali." Hanna stated as Spencer started the car and left the hospital. All three girls sat in silence, hoping both Emily and Alison would be okay.