Chapter 7

Chapter 7
"Hey! Do you wanna come up stairs? We can get away from all this noise!" The boy that I had been spending the night with was actually really nice. He was telling me that once he finished high school and college he was leaving Rosewood and going to see the world. I told him I was envious, I told him that I had always wanted to travel and that's when he wanted me to join him upstairs.
Normally I would've found this invitation slightly suspicious but since we had gotten talking about travelling I wanted to listen to more of what he was planning once he graduated.
I nodded and he grabbed my hand, pulling me upstairs and towards one of the bedrooms.
"So Emily, was it? You want to travel?" The boy sat on the bed and motioned me to do the same. I still didn't know his name but the opportunity had never presented itself. I was too shy to ask at this point because I didn't want him to think I was a loser for not knowing who he was.
"Yeah I do. I think it would be the most exciting experience!" I sat down not far from him, but there was still a person width between us and there was almost silence now except for the gentle rumble of the music downstairs.
"Absolutely. Do you have anyone you want to travel with?" The boy closed the distance between us and wrapped his hand around my shoulder, I instantly became uncomfortable but I was too scared to say anything.
"Um, no not yet. I just want to finish school before I think about that." He nodded at my response and then moved a stray piece of my hair that had fallen over my face.
"There are more than just travelling experiences Emily." He moved closer to me and went to kiss me, when I tried to pull away he held my cheek tightly and kept me in place. As he continued to kiss I felt his hands move over my body and towards my hips.
"I don't want to do that." I told him trying to pushing his hands away.
"Hey come on Emily. It'll be another exciting experience." He tried to sound seductive but to me it just sounded wrong. I kept trying to push him off me but he was too strong. Instead he pushed me onto my back and ripped my blouse open causing the buttons to break.
"Stop it!" I used all my strength to push him off me and leave the room. I didn't give him any time to speak and headed straight downstairs to find my friends. I could hear him calling my name but I didn't look back, a few people at the party turned their heads as I desperately tried to hold my shirt closed.
"Em! What happened?" Erica asked me when I found her still dancing with the older boy, the music was loud again and I could barely hear anything but the bass to the song.
"Can we please go?" I felt tears in my eyes but I didn't let them escape, I just wanted to go home.
"What? Why?" Erica's mood instantly changed and I felt my stomach drop when a hand went to my waist.
"Emily, where are you going? Come on we were just having some fun!" The boy was at my side again, trying desperately to stop me from leaving. I tried hard to push away from him but he wouldn't let go.
"Let go of me!" I shouted, my voice was somehow louder than the music but he still wouldn't catch the hint, he grab my hands and pulled me close to him. Both Erica and the boy looked at me confused as I tried to shove away from him.
'Emily!' Alison tried desperately to wake the sleeping brunette; she had fallen fast asleep after crying on Alison's shoulder. As the blonde shook her from her slumber Emily gasped loudly, the sudden withdrawal from her nightmare made it hard to distinguish what was real and what wasn't.
'It's okay Em, you were having a nightmare. You're okay.' Alison voice was very soothing to Emily. As the brunette whipped her eyes she let herself focus back on reality, she looked up at Alison. At some point they had moved further up Emily's bed, Alison was sitting up slightly against the bed frame and Emily was lying on her chest.
'Sorry.' Emily murmured as she rose from Alison's chest.
'Oh you don't need to be sorry.' The blonde went to move a piece of the brunette's hair away from her face but the unsuspecting Emily flinched, when she adjusted to who she was with Emily put her hand to Alison's.
'Sorry. I didn't mean to flinch.'
'What did you dream about Em?' Alison tried to keep her voice calm and soothing
'Past experience.' Emily moved her hair away from her face and became shy, she wasn't ready to talk about it and Alison could tell, for some reason it frustrated her slightly. She wanted the brunette to trust her and to talk to her. Alison couldn't understand why Emily wouldn't talk about what happened eight months ago.
'Was it to do with what happened before you stopped talking?'
'Ali, I need you to understand, I'm really not ready to talk about this.' Alison paused but could sense Emily's hesitation towards the subject. She believed herself lucky that Emily was even speaking to her at all, considering the blonde hadn't been the nicest of people to her when they first met.
'Whenever you are ready Em, I'm here.' Emily nodded and went back to lie against Alison. Her heartbeat was surprisingly peaceful to listen to. Emily let her mind rest; she had become exhausted by just thinking about her past. It had damaged her greatly and it was hard for her to recover. Her parent's suggested seeing a psychologist but what was the point when you didn't even talk but being with Alison made everything seem easier.
The brunette found that when she was with Alison her mind was not distracted with her haunting memories. Though they lingered in her thoughts now, Emily let herself focus on Alison's hands as they connect with her own. It was a comforting gesture that made Emily smiled softly; looking up at Alison the brunette felt all her worries disappear as she leaned to kiss her.
Feeling Emily's lips connect to her own, Alison let her hands move from Emily's hands to her waist. Holding the brunette softly Alison could feel her heart race and it was a feeling she could get used to.
'Emily?' The girls could hear Pam call from down the hall, quickly parting from Emily Alison grabbed the papers that had fallen on the floor in the chaos of their kissing.
'So overall we did well in the assignment.' Alison pretended to be finishing a conversation they had never had as Emily's mother walked into the room. When Pam looked at the two she smiled but was completely unaware of what had really been going on. She could instantly tell Emily's spirits had been lifted and she was grateful for whatever this Alison girl had done.
'Alison dear, I was wondering if you wanted to stay for dinner?' Pam's invitation confused Emily slightly; they hadn't had a guest over for dinner in almost a year.
'I would love to, Mrs. Fields.' Alison smiled softly and looked towards Emily. Emily however was still looking in between her mother and Alison, they both had large smiles on their faces, and it made her laugh.
'Oh what?' Alison giggled back, playfully shoving Emily's knee.
'You guys are just funny, that's all.' Emily's words came so naturally when Alison was around that she had completely forgotten her mother was even in the room, Pam however looked at her daughter with amazement. She was talking so easily to this Alison girl. What about her was so different? Well, whatever it was, Pam was hoping the blonde would continue to do what she was doing.
'Well girls, dinner is almost ready so you can come down when you are ready.' Pam smiled to herself and left the room. Walking down the hall she could hear the two girls finally let go of the laughter they were desperately trying to hold in. It brought an even larger smile to the older Fields face.
Her Emily was back.
'You know, I never really cared for sport but Emily made swimming sound relatively interesting.' Alison and Pam had been in deep conversation for most of dinner. Emily enjoyed watching the two talk, her mother hadn't had someone to talk to in a long time. It made her feel slightly guilty she couldn't talk to Emily but the brunette was glad none the less.
'She was an amazing swimmer Alison. I've got some videos of her best swimming competitions from her old school.'
'Oh mum! Don't! Alison doesn't want to see that!' Emily rolled her eyes at her mother, she could never help but brag about Emily's achievements in the pool.
'Actually I would love to see them one time.' Alison's response was aimed at Pam but she looked at Emily when she spoke. Emily rolled her eyes at the blonde as well but she didn't seem phase, she merely shrugged her shoulders and shot Emily a quick wink.
'So Alison, what do your parent's do?' Pam had gotten on quite well with Alison, but she felt she would like to know more about the girl that had gotten her Emily talking again.
'My dad's a lawyer and I'm not sure what my mum is doing at the moment.' Though Alison knew her parents weren't separated, they may as well have been. Her mother was always away and her dad would never be around when she was.
'Oh?' Pam was curious about Alison's answer; she found it odd that a child didn't know what their parents were doing.
'Well, she's in Philadelphia with my brother. She used to just make trips to see him but now she usually stays up there.'
'You didn't tell me you had a brother.' Emily pointed out to the blonde, also curious. It was the first Alison had really ever spoken about her family.
'Yeah, well something happened, I'm not sure what but it caused a disagreement between them and mum chose my brother and my Dad chose not to choose him.'
'That's no good. On a lighter note though we used to live in Philadelphia, maybe we know your parents?' Alison was glad that Pam had not decided to linger on the topic of her brother, she didn't really know much about him. Especially since he had left for college.
'Well my dad has done a few big court cases up there, you might have heard of him. His name is Kenneth but for court he goes by Ken Laurens.' Pam suddenly froze, why was that name so familiar? 'I know it isn't very original, especially from Kenneth DiLaurentis but-'
'Alison I think you should leave.' Pam stood from her chair, so quickly it almost fell over. Both Alison and Emily looked at the older Fields bewildered. Pam's sudden outburst caused Emily to stand from her own chair.
'Mum what's wrong?' The brunette spoke softly. Why was her mother acting so weird and why did Alison have to leave? Emily thought they had been getting on rather well.
'Nothing is wrong, Emily. Alison, I'm really sorry but now it's time for you to leave.' Pam walked away from the girls and out of the room, carrying the plates from dinner with her. Alison quickly grabbed her bag and stormed towards the door.
Whatever just happened, she couldn't understand why Emily had stood there but as the blonde opened the front door and exited the house she heard Emily follow her.
'Wait Ali! Don't go, don't worry about my mum, she doesn't know what she's saying.' Emily grabbed the retreating blondes hand and spun her around.
'What the hell was that about Emily?' Alison was embarrassed beyond compare and she was even madder at Emily.
'How should I know? I'm just as confused as you!' Alison quickly pulled her hand away from Emily's and continued to walk back to her car; she wasn't in the mood for excuses.
'Ali! Seriously! Stop running away when it gets a little hard.' Emily didn't chase after the blonde; she knew then that if Alison wanted to truly hear what Emily had to say, she would stay. But she didn't, Alison was too angry and let her pride get in the way of her other feelings. She knew Emily had no clue what was wrong with her mother and she knew that it wasn't her fault. Emily had been perfect the whole evening but as Alison got in her car and drove away Emily looked on with astonishment, she could not believe Alison had left again. She did know her mother's outburst was definitely uncalled for but so was Alison's leaving.
'Mum! What the hell was that about?' Emily asked her mother when she walked into the kitchen. Her mother was flicking through sheets of old papers, Emily didn't know what they were but she was too upset with her mother to bother asking what she was doing. 'Mum?' Emily became frustrated but when her mother turned around she handed Emily a few pieces of paper held together with a staple.
'Read it.' Pam said and then she waited as Emily flicked through the files.
District Court of Philadelphia
Final documented notes:
Case File: Fields against Laurens
Court No: #1563
Presented to the court on the date shown in first document*
Court found in favour of the Defence (Laurens) due to contempt of court
Victim's (Fields) testimony was never filed
Emily could not read any further, her eyes stop at the names written. She knew this document was about her and what had happened just over eight months ago, but what stood out more was who the documents said she was against. Many times Emily read the papers over and over, trying to find any other names written. But deep down she knew, the name "Laurens" stood out in the paper, it was written all over every page. What stood out most of all was what she read at the very end of the document.
Defence Attorney: Ken Laurens