Chapter 18

Chapter 18
Alison sat on her bed, locked in her room feeling alone and worried for Emily.
Her father had forbidden her from seeing the brunette or her family, he even threaten to send her away to boarding school if she didn't obey. Alison had spent the last half hour crying until she was interrupted by the sound of someone knocking on the front door downstairs.
"Yes girls?" Alison heard him answer the door not long after.
"Hey Mr DiLaurentis we were just wondering if Ali was home?" Alison could hear Hanna's cheery voice from upstairs and behind her closed door.
"I'm sorry girls I don't want to be the bad guy but Alison's in bed. You know she's supposed to be resting." Kenneth's voice was rather pleasant in comparison to when he was yelling at Alison in the car earlier, it seemed he was trying appear fairly pleasant himself in front of her friends.
"Oh come on just let us-" Hanna began with a rather unhappy tone but she was silenced by Spencer.
"That's completely okay Mr DiLaurentis; we'll come around another time. Thank you." From what Alison could hear it sounded like Spencer and Aria tried to pull Hanna from the door and away from the house.
Alison heard the door shut and her father walk up the stairs, quickly wiping away her tears the blonde jumped on her bed and opened the first school book she could find. Opening the door Kenneth looked at Alison curiously; he noticed her puffy cheeks and red eyes but didn't say anything.
"I don't want you talking to those girls anymore."
"What? Why not?" Alison slammed her book and stood from her bed while trying to hold back tears.
"Because they're friends with that Fields girl and I don't want you to have anything to do with her." Crossing his arms Kenneth stood in the doorway trying to keep the authority on him as Alison attempted to stand to his level.
"Why didn't you tell me that Jason was in prison?" Alison snapped, her thoughts were disconnected and all over the place, she could barely focus on anything she was that mad with her father.
"I didn't tell you because he will be out soon and then he could continue on with his life like none of it ever happened. I was trying to keep it on the down low but apparently that Kahn boy couldn't keep his mouth shut." Kenneth was clearly frustrated and angry when he spoke to Alison; the blonde hadn't seen him this scary since she was a little girl getting in trouble for dragging dirt into the house.
"He deserves to be in there." Alison mumbled as her father's dominance became overbearing.
"What?" He asked, shocked.
"He deserves to be in there forever." Alison felt tears fall from her eyes at the thought of her brother, the thought of him with Emily, the thought of him hurting her.
"He's your brother Alison!" Kenneth's voice was loud and deep, he was getting angrier by the minute and Alison was beginning to feel unsafe in his presence.
"He raped Emily! And what's worse is you lied for him!" Alison kept her distance from her father; she knew when he was mad he was never exactly in control of his emotions or his temper.
"I did my job Alison, now you are not to see those girls for a while and you're not to see that Fields girl ever again! You understand me?" Kenneth put his hand on the door knob and was about to slam the door when Alison crossed her own arms and conjured up the courage to speak.
"You can't keep me from her! I will see her." Alison's father opened the door the entire way again and moved into the room, watching the blonde curiously.
"I saw the videos Alison, so whatever feelingsyou think you have, is just a phase. It will pass if you don't see her." Kenneth was significantly calmer as he spoke to Alison and it made her curious as to why.
"A phase? Dad you are delusional. Face it! Your kids aren't perfect but at least I didn't rape someone and at least I didn't rob a bank! You see? No matter how much you protect Jason he will always end up where he is now because he can't help himself! You lied for someone who was inevitably ending up in prison. Jason took so much from Emily and all you can think about is your stupid image! So what if I care for another girl? That doesn't mean there's something wrong with me. Emily is the best thing that's ever happened to me; can't you see how much she means to me?"
Alison took a deep breath and looked towards her stunned father, he seemed stuck and unable to think of anything to say but as Alison wiped away the final tear from her cheek he finally managed to speak.
"She got your brother in a lot of trouble." Kenneth had run out of things to say, in terms of being a lawyer he had lost his case but in terms of being in control he would never lose to his family.
Alison rolled her eyes at her father's response and raised her arms in defeat; she knew she wasn't going to win.
"No Dad. Jason got himself in trouble." Alison was losing hope of getting through to her father. It seemed he was too clouded by his own judgement.
"You are not to see that girl again Alison." Kenneth's voice return to its stern deep self and the eldest DiLaurentis turned to leave the room.
"Emily. Her name is Emily." Kenneth paused momentarily at the door but didn't bother to look at his daughter; he merely dropped his shoulders and shut the door behind him.
Alison crumbled to the floor in defeat and she had never felt so lost. Holding her arms around her legs Alison let the tears fall down her cheeks as she let her mind slip towards Emily. The blonde wondered how Emily was, if she was even alive.
Toby had been pacing in the hospital waiting room for hours before his legs began feel tired and sore, the young police officer had been waiting for news along with Emily's parents. Every time a nurse walked through the doors Toby and Wayne would jump from their seats but each time it was a false alarm.
"Officer Cavanaugh?" The nurse that had attended to Alison hours ago had emerged from the desk and held several papers along with a dark bag mark with evidence across it.
"Yes?" Toby said as he straightened his uniform.
"This is the evidence report on Emily Fields. The weapon is safely concealed and ready for any further analyse by the police." Toby knew that for the moment his work at the hospital was done, the report on Emily was finished, which meant they got all that could from the surgery and the weapon had been removed, which also meant he had to deliver it to the office for further testing.
"Any news on Emily?" Toby asked hopefully.
"It's still too early but we will call you when she is out of surgery." The nurse could sense Toby's eagerness, even though he had never met Emily he knew she was important to her friends and that meant something to him. He dropped his shoulders in disappointment but thanked the nurse before making his way to Pam and Wayne who stood in hopes of good news.
"I have to deliver this to the precinct, the nurse said they will notify me if anything changes but I suspect you will know more before I will." Toby smiled sympathetically towards the couple, Pam's eyes were bloodshot from crying and Wayne looked unbelievably tired. Wayne smiled back and provided Toby his hand, shaking it strongly Toby nodded his head and turned leaving the hospital.
"I can't believe we're back here again." Pam murmured softly as she sat down with Wayne while holding his hand tightly.
"I know and I can't believe that man came in here. The nerve." Wayne had grown incredibly frustrated with Kenneth DiLaurentis and he of all people understood what it meant to stand up for family but he knew that Kenneth was only worried about his reputation.
"I just want Emily to be okay." Pam's head fell to Wayne's shoulder and he felt his wife cry softly before her eyes slowly shut. After some time had passed Wayne himself felt his eyes begin to close when he was interrupted by an unfamiliar voice.
"Mr and Mrs Fields?" Wayne shot open his eyes to find a doctor in blue medical robes standing in front of him. The man presented Wayne his hand and quickly he stood from his chair forgetting Pam was sleeping next to him and when she realised who was in front of her she stood just as quickly.
"I'm Doctor Williams; I was the senior surgeon in charge of Emily's operation." Doctor Williams shook Wayne and Pam's hand as he watched them fully wake up from their slumber.
"How's my baby girl doing?" Pam asked.
"Well she's going to make a full recovery." Pam and Wayne relaxed instantly at the news, they had never been happier to speak to a doctor in their lives. "Although she's very weak and has lost a lot of blood. Her right lung was punctured from the stab wound and so the injury caused her lung to collapse completely. The first move we made to keep the lung working was repair the tissue but it was unsuccessful so we had to make skin incisions. At the present time she has a tube connected to the ribs and lung to help her with producing and removing air."
Pam felt her hand moved to her mouth in horror and in the moment she understood why the surgery had taken so long.
"Will she be okay?" Pam asked as she held onto Wayne's hand again.
"Yes. At the present time the only concern is her lung and whether it will be able to operate on its own. Right now she has a oxygen mask providing her a constant flow of oxygen and respiratory help but later on we will move her onto the nasal cannula." Doctor Williams was formal and very well educated to say the least, Wayne was glad that this man was in charge of taking care of his daughter. "For now we will be focusing on her getting better, we must make sure she gets no infections. Later we will get into rehabilitations for her breathing and walking."
Wayne and Pam looked at each other before looking back at the doctor.
"Walking?" Pam asked mildly shocked.
"With the amount of head trauma Emily endured Mrs Fields, she is very lucky to be alive." The doctor spoke matter-of-factly but it felt more than real for Emily's parents.
"Can we see her?" Wayne asked, trying to stay positive.
"Yes, she just came out of recovery so she will be very tired." Wayne and Pam followed Doctor Williams down the hall and through to a private room.
Alison had been lying on her bed for several hours troubled with the task of boredom. Her father had taken her phone from her, by means of stopping her from speaking to her friends and to instead focus on school work.
But she couldn't.
The only thing that was on Alison's mind was Emily.
A small knock came from Alison's window and at first the blonde thought she was hearing things but as she looked up from her bed she saw a small pebble fly up and hit the glass making a small knock again. Getting up curiously Alison moved over to the window and unlocked it, poking her head out slightly Alison looked down for the offender throwing the rocks, she was met with Hanna, Spencer and Aria smiling devilishly up at her.
"Come on. We're sneaking you out." Hanna said in a loud whisper.
"My dad will kill me." Alison whispered back, the blondes comment was so ironic it made Spencer roll her eyes.
"You're already on house arrest. What else can he do?" Spencer said sarcastically, even she was up for the idea of breaking Alison out.
Alison smiled softly and nodded, quickly finding her jacket she slowly lowered herself out of the window. Expertly climbing down Alison jumped the last few feet and straightened herself up while smiling at her three friends.
"You've done that before, haven't you?" Aria asked cheekily. Alison raised her eyebrows while smirking.
"Let's go." Hanna said as she pulled Alison's arms and began running around the back of the blonde's house and around the property to where she had hidden her car.
"How's Emily? Have you guys seen her? Is she okay?" Alison asked she sat in the passenger seat and buckled up her seat belt. Hanna turned the car on the sped off faster than the other girls could strap themselves in.
"Toby said she woke up not too long ago." Spencer said rather out of breath. All three girls were panting, Alison however had so much adrenaline pulsing through her that breathing wasn't even a remote problem.
Alison's hands were drumming on the side of the car, her fingers tapping a constant beat that was driving Hanna crazy but she didn't say anything because she was just as anxious as Alison.
When Hanna found a parking spot the car had barely stopped before Alison had jumped out and starting heading for the elevator that would be the lift to Emily.
Her friends struggled to keep up but had managed to get in the elevator before Alison pressed the close door button repeatedly.
"Ali it's okay. Don't forget to breath, I hear that's kind of essential." Spencer placed her hand on Alison's shoulder in an attempt to calm her down but her efforts were useless, Alison was so focused on seeing Emily she could barely hear a word either girl was saying.
"Toby said it's just down here." Spencer said as she turned down a corridor and was sure enough met with the familiar face of Toby Cavanaugh, she ran to him and he opened his arms for a tight embrace.
Alison caught up within seconds with Hanna and Aria close behind. Alison went to open the door that Toby had been standing in front of, he stopped her cautiously.
"Can I see her?" Alison asked. Toby knocked on the door and seconds later Wayne opened it. He was mildly surprised to see more than Toby, he knew the young officer had been assigned to watch Emily but to see Emily's friends was surprisingly not what he was expecting.
"Mr Fields! Is she okay?" Alison asked hopefully, she hadn't even entered the room yet and tears were beginning to form.
"Just one at a time girls, she's very tired." Alison looked towards her friends, Spencer, Hanna and Aria smiled before nodding at her indicating she should go first.
Wayne opened the door slightly more so Alison could squeeze through.
The first thing Alison looked at was Emily, the brunette was slightly elevated but was almost lying down, she was covered with bandages and the only part of her arms Alison could actually see was the inside of her elbow that had needles attached to her. Alison felt a tear fall from her eye as Emily slowly tilted her bandaged head to face her. An oxygen mask covered a good percentage of Emily's lower face and her eye had large white medical patch covering it.
The room was white and quiet and the only sound that was heard was beeping from machines that Emily was connected to and the sound of the brunette's breathing. Pam was sitting on the chair next to the bed, she looked tired but relieved.
But Alison's eyes didn't leave Emily's.
"Hey there." Emily's words were soft it was almost impossible to hear but Alison heard and her spirits lifted. Slowly walking over to Emily the blonde took in each detail of the brunette. Slowly Emily patted the side of the bed indicating Alison to sit next to her.
"Hey." Alison whispered as if matching Emily's tone, it was a subconscious reaction from seeing the brunette in such a state. As Alison sat very delicately next to Emily the brunette lifted her hand slightly in an attempted to hold hers. Taking it without a second thought Alison heard Wayne at the door.
"Come on dear. Let's go get some coffee." Pam smiled and stood from her spot, leaving Emily and Alison to be alone.
A few moments of silence passed in which the two girls merely exchanged looks.
"I'm so sorry Emily." Alison said as she stroked Emily's hand, the brunette tightened her hold slightly and took several deep breaths before speaking.
"Don't be sorry." Alison felt that even though Emily would feel this way no matter what condition she was in, the blonde knew that she was tired and she didn't want to spend the time Emily was awake apologising. "You look beautiful." The brunette mumbled.
Alison blushed at the compliment.
"And I've missed those rosy cheeks." Emily's voice may have been muffled from the oxygen mask but Alison could still hear the smile behind the brunette's words.
Emily's hand slowly lifted her arm, it felt significantly heavier when she felt this sore, the over powering sensation of tiredness had been washing over her even since she'd woken up.
Helping the brunette Alison moved Emily's hand to her cheek. The brunette's usually warm, soft fingers felt cold and rough, small cuts and bruise lay upon Emily's hands from fighting against the tight rope Noel had trapped them in, in fact when Alison pulled Emily's hands to her cheek she realised there were deep bruises surround both of Emily's wrist to the degree of a very dark purple.
At the sight a tear fell from Alison's eye that Emily caught and brushed away.
"None of that Miss. DiLaurentis." Emily's breathing was still something she seemed to have to focus on; as she spoke she would have to take many breaths just to make it through a sentence.
Though her words were somewhat a struggle she seemed to remain strong which Alison found to be very brave.
"Em?" Alison murmured. Emily looked up and smiled cheerfully.
"Yeah?" She replied, her voice soft. Alison paused, thinking of what to say.
"I love you." There was a few seconds of silence in which the machines beeped in the background, Alison watched Emily react but it was difficult with the mask and bandages in the way.
"I love you too Ali." Emily's hand softly pulled at Alison's cheek, a silent gesture that was asking Alison to come closer. Emily's free hand moved to her oxygen mask, as she pulled it away Alison leaned in for a soft kiss.
For a moment in time everything seemed to freeze.
For one moment, it was just them.
And it was perfect.