19

Draco Malfoy and Elyssa Greer. Nobody in a million years would have expected to see the pair of them sitting within a meter of each other. But now that Ellie and Nikolai were common knowledge, nobody batted an eye at Draco and Ellie. Nobody looked twice at them sitting together at the lake, in the courtyard, or in class. 

They never said more to each other than they needed to, but oft-times they observed rather than spoke. 

Draco had never really noticed Ellie. All she was as they grew up, was the Gryffindor who lived nearby, whose parents were well acquainted with his. He never truly noticed her until the Yule Ball, where she had showed up with her red hair pulled to the side ending in curls, wearing a floor-length scarlet dress that hung off her shoulders perfectly, alongside Seamus Finnigan. To Draco, Ellie was a half-decent looking girl but the only problem was she had the brain of a troll. Doubtlessly, she thought the exact same of him. 

He observed her as they sat across from each other at a table in the corner of the library. Observed how rather than reread a paragraph to search for her answer in a textbook, she would prefer to bite her lip and pull a face, toss her quill across the table, and bury her face in her hands. Or how when she was trying really hard to write step-by-step instructions at the top of her head, she would pull her eyebrows together in an upward position and squint. Draco didn't know why but he found it rather fascinating observing her. 

There wasn't much else to do once he's been politely asked by Nikolai Orlov to help keep his fiancée up to date. He couldn't refuse; their parents were continuously bouncing in and out of each other's lives, in and out of the Ministry together, going to the same meetings. Sure they argued about who was in control of their posse, but, as Nikolai constantly liked to remind said posse, he couldn't live a life alongside a useless, stupid wife. It was definitely dramatic, and he knew that Nikolai wasn't doing this in the hopes of smartening up Ellie, but because it gave him more control of their group of friends considering Draco wouldn't be around them, he'd be around Ellie wasting his time. 

"Do stop doing that," hissed Draco, reaching over to grab the quill at the end of the table. Ellie had threw it again in anger. "It's not making you any smarter."

"It's no use," said Ellie, disgruntled. "I'm hopeless. I can't learn sixth-year stuff, Malfoy, what on earth is the point of this!"

"Tell me, Greer, how am I supposed to help you get any better at attempting methods when we're not in Potions and have no access to ingredients? You were right; you excel at theory, just doing it is the problem. Although, I might add, I struggle to understand how when it's written right in front of you in your handwriting."

Draco received a rather unimpressed look by Ellie, and jumped when she tossed her quill at his shoulder. "Thanks for making me feel even more pathetic!"

The boy shrugged and chewed the end of her quill, receiving another unimpressed look with a curl of the redhead's lip. 

"How much longer?" she grumbled, looking up at him reluctantly.