40

The two weeks Ellie spent with the Silas family she was treated with more care than she ever was at home

The two weeks Ellie spent with the Silas family she was treated with more care than she ever was at home. They were the sweetest people she had ever met and, although it was probably horrible of her, she began to wonder why Silas hadn't come out about his sexuality sooner...what he could have been so afraid of. His parents just couldn't be the type to disagree with him. 

So, after a bit of encouragement and with Ellie sitting beside him for support, that's exactly what Silas did a few days before school started. The boy was surprised at his parents' reaction, as they hardly had any at all. They had already suspected and told him that they didn't love him any less. 

This warmed Ellie's heart to see and hear, but at the same time her skin grew cold as scenarios began to unfold in her head, as she thought of what her parents' reactions would be if she came out as something other than what they'd expect. They definitely wouldn't have the same calm reactions as Silas' parents. Ellie's parents were angry with her just for not wanting to marry some silly boy. 

"Well, here we are...back again," Silas breathed after running through the wall. 

Ellie stared up at the train and felt herself beginning to smile, before it dropped right away as the thought of Nikolai popped into her head. She was so over him. 

"Hey," Silas said, coming up beside her. Ellie looked at him, tucking her flying red hair behind her ear. "Don't worry about it. I'm here with you."

Such a small statement had such a big impact on Ellie's confidence and her smile was back as soon as it disappeared. Silas smiled back at her and gestured towards the train, to which Ellie nodded and followed closely behind him. 

As soon as they were on the train they found an empty compartment and Silas charged right for it. At the same time, a body was moving quickly towards Ellie and she felt her face burning red. She pressed her back against the wall and let Draco Malfoy pass her, but not before catching the scent of his signature cologne, not before he looked back at her for a split second. Her heart fluttered and her stomach filled with butterflies. 

She had of course not sent him a letter in the last two weeks, only just after she left home to tell him that she was going to be staying with Silas and wouldn't be able to owl him quickly anymore. She did not receive an owl back after that. 

Ellie had expected him to smirk a little or even lift his mouth upwards, but he didn't. He looked at her as though she was a stranger, as though she was just a pretty girl standing where he was passing and he had to take a second look. He looked emotionless, not something Ellie was used to seeing. He either had a sneer, a smirk, or just looked bored. But not this time.

Pouting slightly, the redhead walked into the compartment to join Silas, who had a very amused expression on his face. He, of course, knew all about what Ellie and Draco had been up to before she left home for his house. 

Seeing the dispirited look on Ellie's face, Silas lost his look of amusement and instead raised an eyebrow. 

"What?" he asked quietly. 

Ellie shrugged at him. "That was just weird. I thought I'd get a nod at least but he just looked at me like I was nobody."

"Well, you're not nobody," Silas started, moving from his side of the compartment to sit beside Ellie. He grabbed Ellie by the shoulders and said, "You're Elyssa Greer, a big massive somebody to me. The biggest somebody. The best somebody."

Silas' eyes flicked up and his smile was gone in a second. Ellie quickly looked over at the compartment door and just caught a glimpse of Nikolai passing by with a sneer on his face. 

"Now that is a nobody," Silas grinned at Ellie when she turned back to look at him. 

"My goodness, I've forgotten everything!" Lavender screeched. "A three month holiday should be split throughout the year because right now my brain feels like noodles trying to remember."

"It'll all come back once you're in the classrooms," Ellie said as she put scrambled egg onto her toast.

Lavender nodded slowly, unconvinced, but then glanced down the table...more than once...before, each time, glancing back down at her timetable with a small, soft smile. Parvati was staring at herself in the back of a spoon, curling her eyelashes with her wand. 

Ellie took this time to glance over her shoulder at the Slytherin table. Nikolai's usual crowd was around him, laughing like they had just seen the funniest thing ever but really someone probably just made a rude comment, but Draco was sitting down aways on his own, staring at his food with a blank look on his face, like he wasn't really there at the moment. Nikolai caught Ellie's eye once she looked back at him, but she quickly turned back around to face Lavender and Parvati. 

Suddenly, someone was tucking themselves in next to Ellie. 

"Hello, Silas," said Parvati, not looking at him but still staring at herself in a spoon. 

"Hi," he responded awkwardly. 

Ellie's smile slowly spread across her face. This was exactly what she had always wanted, all her friends together at a table, eating together, chatting. 

"Drop the weird smile, Ellie," Silas laughed under his breath. 

"Why?" she replied, still smiling. "I'm happy."

"Well, we're all very happy that you're happy, but it's getting a little creepy," Lavender winced, her eyes once more glancing down the table at somebody. 

"Who do you keep looking at, Lavender?" Ellie couldn't help but blurt out, looking where Lavender had been looking. But she could have been looking at anybody, the Gryffindor table was already packed with people. 

"What? Noth-- nobody..." the girl responded quickly, reddening. 

"Oooh, Lavender's got herself a wee little crush!" Parvati teased, finally dropping her spoon. 

Before Lavender got the chance to retort, the bell rang and everybody began rushing out of the Great Hall. Ellie pulled Silas up with her and they both ventured towards the giant doors, waiting behind a crowd of students and holding up a crowd of more students behind them. 

"Ow!" Several people cried from the left, and Ellie could see people being pushed to the side as a group of students pushed their way through. 

Nikolai looked Ellie dead in the eye, and all the poor girl could see was utter hatred in his amber brown eyes before he barged his shoulder into hers and pushed past. Pansy snickered and did the exact same thing. Draco followed closely behind, but he still didn't seem to be here in the moment, he seemed like he was somewhere else. He made eye contact with Ellie before calmly sweeping past her in the gaps that Nikolai and Pansy had forced.