24

The polaroid camera was stuffed under her bed alongside her canvases and sketchbooks, looking so out of place being somewhere like Hogwarts. The Gryffindor common room was mostly empty and the fifth-year girls' dormitory was completely empty, thankfully, giving her the freedom of snapping shots of her face. 

Draco Malfoy pointed out that Ellie's cheek was red and her bottom lip was cut and bloody. Ellie shook the polaroid and looked at it. She looked so sad . . . her face looking exactly as Draco had said, and her cheeks tear-stained and her eyes showing clearly how much she had cried. 

The dormitory door opened just as Ellie finished putting her picture-filled sock in her trunk. She heard giggles and knew instantly who had just walked in. 

"Oh, Ellie," said Lavender in a rather bitter voice. Ellie spun around and saw Lavender and Parvarti standing there. They both look rather mad, until they noticed the trauma on Ellie's face. Their expressions changed instantly. "Ellie! What on earth happened to you? Who did this to you?"

"Oh my!"

The girls both approached Ellie and took her face in their hands. 

"Nobody," Ellie said, shaking her head out of her hands. She needed to get out of there, considering Draco was waiting for her in the library. She couldn't not show up at all . . . Nikolai would eventually show up to check on them. "I tripped down the stairs on my way to the library and . . . bumped and scraped along the way."

Parvarti was the only one who looked somewhat convinced. 

"You're telling us the truth?" asked Lavender, raising an eyebrow. 

"Yes, of course," Ellie frowned, trying to make her expression seem convincing. "It was pretty embarrassing if you ask me. Now, I need to get going. I have some books I need to get my hands on in the library. What are you two up to?"

"Just came to get our textbooks," Parvarti started excitedly. "Nikolai has asked us if we'd like to study with him!"

Ellie had to take a second to let what Parvarti had just said sink in.

"With your permission of course," Parvarti added quickly. 

"I'm . . . I'm not sure if --"

"We wouldn't flirt or kiss him or anything like that," Lavender rolled her eyes. "That's girl code, Ellie! And you're our friend."

"Yeah . . ." said Parvarti in a small voice. "Of course we wouldn't . . ."

Ellie opened her mouth to protest but Lavender cut in.

"Well, we really must get going! We'll see you for dinner. When we get down there to Nikolai we're going to ask him to quit stealing you from us . . . not in those exact words, of course."

And then they were gone, quicker than Ellie could get a word out, giggling to themselves. What would Nikolai want with them two? Possibly to get unimportant information out of them. Or worse . . .