35

"How do you think you went, then?" 

It was the end of the O.W.L examinations week and during the entire thing Ellie could barely breathe as she read through question after question. Silas looked at Ellie as he brushed his hair out of his eyes subconsciously. 

He shrugged. "I know I did well. Easy as pie, mind you. Judging by the look on your face I'll take it you don't feel the same way."

Ellie looked at him quickly and gave him an effortless shrug. "I'm sure I did okay. I just hope I did well in Potions or I'll never hear the end of it from Nikolai."

As if hearing his name, Nikolai emerged from the Great Hall followed by his usual group. They all looked rather smug and held their chests out to show off their Inquisitorial Squad badges. Nikolai hardly looked at Ellie, just like he hadn't the entire week, but Draco did. He caught her eye and she felt herself reddening as she looked away sheepishly. 

"Where do you suppose they're off to?" Silas asked, staring at them all with a crease between his eyebrows. 

"Hmm? Oh -- well, where do you think?" Ellie said, rolling her eyes. She stared until the pale blonde of Draco Malfoy's hair was out of sight. "They're Umbridge's goblins."

"Umbridge's goblins," Silas repeated, laughing. "That's funny."

When Silas had found out that Nikolai was practically starving Ellie the first thing he wanted to do was put a hex on him in front of everyone -- he was so incredibly angry that Nikolai could sleep soundly at night knowing that poor Elyssa Greer was laying in her Gryffindor dorm room beyond hungry, feeling like there was something wrong with the way that she looked. 

Now, Ellie knew that Nikolai was just using this to prove to her that what he says goes, knew that she was fine and he was just being a git, but deep down it still had an impact on her and she felt rather...ashamed. 

Silas even went on a rant and told her how wonderful she was and that she didn't deserve to be treated this way...a very long fifteen minute rant. When he finished ranting Ellie had even told him to keep going. 

They had eventually settled on Ellie sneaking food into her pockets and eating it in her dormitory. Especially during the last week seeing as Nikolai was distracted by the exams and then more involved with his group, and didn't have a care in the world whether Ellie was eating at a normal sixteen-year-old girl diet or his special one.

The next morning at breakfast, Ellie joined Parvati and Lavender at the Gryffindor table. Everyone was whispering about how Umbridge's Inquisitorial Squad had eaten Puking Pastilles and or grown a bunch of boils all over their faces. Half were stuck in the hospital wing still trying to get the boils off their faces. The rest, however, were seated at the Slytherin table, groaning and whining to each other, glaring at the faces that dared look their way.

"What made them eat that?" Ellie wondered to Lavender and Parvati. "How did they even get it? Those products were confiscated."

"Hello? Inquisitorial Squad -- Umbridge. They would have access to her office and probably saw the confiscated sweets sitting there and nicked them," Lavender replied like it was the most obvious thing in the world.