36

Today marked August 1st 1996

Today marked August 1st 1996. Elyssa Greer sat quietly at her desk folding all of Draco Malfoy's letters he'd sent to her and placing them neatly into a shoebox. She had finished reading one of his letters where he'd explained that he was learning Occlumency from his Aunt and he ended the letter asking if Ellie had talked to Isobel about Nikolai yet. She hadn't, and she watched her family owl fly off with her response.

She hadn't talked to Isobel yet. Ellie thought she could as soon as she got home from Hogwarts but as soon as she saw Isobel and thought about what she wanted to ask her, she immediately shut down and went straight to her room. Ellie was afraid of what she'd learn...but she knew she had to do it soon, just like she had to talk to her parents about Nikolai and demand to know if they had known all about him and his little brother Alexander.

As she thought back to what Nikolai had done to her all last year, Ellie glanced over toward her trunk in which sat a little box with her polaroids. Back at Hogwarts when she had just begun to find what kind of person Nikolai really is, Ellie couldn't wait to come home and tell her parents all about how horrid he is and what he'd done to her. But now that she's actually here...

There was a knock at the door.

Isobel popped her head in.

Isobel Hopkirk was the youngest servant working for the Greer family. She looked to be somewhere in her early thirties and always had bags under her sweet brown eyes, always had her dark brown hair tied back in a loose bun with hair falling in her face, most of which she'd be seen furiously tucking behind her ears.

She smiled sweetly at the redhead sitting in her chair. "Ellie, dear. Your mother has been calling for you. Dinner is ready."

Ellie stood with a small smile as she made her way out with Isobel. "And what are we having tonight?"

"A fat juicy roast with potato, vegetables and gravy."

Ellie felt her body beam with happiness at the thought of the food and almost fainted right there on the spot. The only fun thing about being home this summer were the great meals and no Nikolai telling Ellie what she could and couldn't eat. Doubtlessly, the boy would complain about poor Ellie when they returned to school, and she rolled her eyes at the thought.

Her mother Lauren and her father Jackin were already sitting at their long dinner table, one parent on either end like two prison guards. Isobel joined Ben, Reginald and Agatha, the other squib servants, who stood waiting by the door like they did every time the family ate a meal in case they needed something.

Ellie had always complained about it when she was little, complained that they deserved to sit and dine with the family because it looked and felt strange for them to just stand there watching them eat. But she had been pulled up by her mother so much that it just felt natural now.

"Elyssa," Lauren whispered hotly as Ellie tucked herself into her usual chair. "Back straight — sit up, child!"

"Jeez," Ellie mumbled under her breath, obeying her mother just to shut her up.