32

Ellie did as she was told, mentally throwing a tantrum the entire way up to Gryffindor Tower

Ellie did as she was told, mentally throwing a tantrum the entire way up to Gryffindor Tower. She slammed her dormitory door behind her and threw her bag down on her bed. With a rather exaggerated huff, the redhead made her way into the bathroom, where she stripped out of her robes and uniform and looked at herself in the mirror. 

She had no clue what Nikolai was talking about. She looked fine, like the average teenage girl. Until she moved closer...and she looked different...she knew her eyes were playing tricks on her...knew Nikolai had gotten into her head. She pinched the rounded skin of her stomach, turned on the side to examine it. 

Ellie shook her head at herself. "No," she told herself. "This is Nikolai. I look fine. I look good. I look--"

She stopped when she realised she probably looked crazy to anyone who would have come in and heard her. Ellie put her robes back on, feeling happy and confident, knowing she looked good to anyone else...just not so much to herself. All because of Nikolai. 

Ellie jumped back onto her bed and stared at the roof, thinking to herself. She had to get herself an owl. 

When the Easter Holidays came around, Ellie grew somewhat excited thinking she could go home...she could not, after receiving another letter from her parents...but then she thought Nikolai would return home again. He didn't. Ellie grew suspicious of her parents letters, saying both times that she had to stay at Hogwarts. She thought perhaps that they knew she had questions about Nikolai, and they just couldn't face her wrath. 

It was the worst week of her life. She was starving the whole time and when Nikolai caught her accepting easter eggs from Lavender and Parvarti in the corridor, he gripped the back of her neck so hard it left a dark red hand print. 

Between Nikolai and the upcoming exams, Ellie grew terribly miserable as she treaded back and forth to the library, clutching her rumbling stomach every time. 

One weekend afternoon, Nikolai brought Ellie down to the lake with him and his usual group. They were skimming rocks across the lake, hoping to catch a glimpse of the giant squid. Ellie began to feel faint and lightheaded and took a seat on the grass, clutching her head. Nikolai was grinning at the lake, and turned to look at Ellie. 

"Elyssa, what are you doing on the ground? Come, I'll show you how to do it."

"I know how to do it," she mumbled, staring hard at the grass. It felt like her body was shutting itself down. "I just feel...ill. I need a minute."

But Nikolai didn't even give her a second before he started towards her and pulled her up. He walked over, holding onto her, and shoved a stone into her hand. Ellie tried to argue with him by saying her head hurt, but he wasn't having it. He wanted her to join in has he called it. 

"Go on," he said, and he let her go. 

And she stumbled back, her body having shut down completely. Next thing she knew, she was on the ground and the only thing filling her ears was static. Since looking up she could see that Nikolai was angry and he was mouthing off at her...she just couldn't hear him yet. Second by second, it began to come clear.