Mohammed Abdul : Mac & Cheese

The image is mine, this was dedicated to my best friend

"Are you sure you're ready, my Love?"
"Yes."
"You really want to?"
"I'm positive."
"I don't want to force you."
"Nah, it's alright, let's do it."
Stretching, the Arab took his massive pipe out, stroking it gently before making his way to the sink. Taking it all apart, you watched carefully as each piece was rinsed first with cold water, before being wiped and dried, ready for a smoking session. Abdul seemed so skilled at this, scrubbing every piece with what looked like a tiny toilet brush, then confidently putting each piece back together like an IKEA flat pack chair. Ornate sculptures of deities and Arabic words lined the curved shape of the hookah shaft, beautiful, bold colours swirling together to create a mosaic of pigment and elegance. Your boyfriend chuckled as your eyes swept each detail, in complete awe at the artistry that had gone into an object with only one use. Holding it up to the sunlight peeping through the blinds, his smooth voice interrupted your admiration.
"It's stunning, isn't it?" His smile was knowing, with a hint of fire. Similar to dark chocolate with a kick of chili, he was always able get to where you were sensitive most and sting it, both mentally and physically. Glass clanged on the table as the vase was placed, clear and clean now. "Are you alright?" Blinking, unease set in over your features. Noticeable to the man, you felt a toasty hand on your cheek in silent reply.
"Yeah, but isn't there supposed to be like, a pipe or...?" Raising an eyebrow, your reaction made the man pout dramatically, his thick brows arching. Abdul turned his back to you, dragging the curtain to reach the 'cupboard' under the sink. He began to talk just as you were about to daydream, pulling your focus back to the hookah preparations.
"You are correct. I keep those in a separate box as you aren't meant to wash them. Repeated cleaning of the pipes can cause them to rust, and," grunting a little, he pulled out a long, thin pipe which was ribbed along it's edges, setting it down on the table with the vase. "It would pain me greatly to see you fall ill with poisoning."
"P-Poisoning? What kind of poisoning?"
"Not from the hookah, Habibti." [My Love] Your lover could see the distress in your face. Abdul was calming to others' hearts, but this drug business was clearly really getting to you. Maybe he was wrong to suggest it. Maybe it was too early. Returning once again from the sink with a jug of water, he took a seat beside you, tenderly caressing your lap. "You aren't being honest with me. I can tell. We don't have to."
"No. I want to. It can't be that bad—" His soft finger on your lips startled you, but he got the desired effect of stopping your sentence.
"You're speaking to a fortune teller."
Lowering your eyes, it was difficult not to feel foolish. Did your unease mean you didn't trust him? Is that what he thought?
"I trust you, you know." The words sort of spat out like violent vomit. "I don't want you to think that I don't..."
"Oh. Y/N, come now. Tell me what it is you are afraid of."
"I'm not afraid of anything, it's just my first time. I'm not sure how I might react."
"Then you have my word. If you feel uncomfortable, we will stop and I will protect you."
All you could really manage was a simple nod. Why had you made such a big deal out of this? Abdul was so loving and caring, he wouldn't put you in danger. But it didn't stop the sense of embarrassment enveloping your body. "Now, we're going to fill up the vase with cold water and ice, but only enough to just dip the stem into it. There needs to be room for the smoke to dilute." He did so, adding about half a mug to the glass so that the ice kept it level with the stem. Pressing the shaft into place, shaking it a little to check the rubber seal had moulded correctly to the neck. "Next, the hose goes in..." Assessing the water level first, only one hose needed to be plugged in, the other hole was sealed up with the sliding cap. Grabbing the top of the hose between his two first fingers and thumb, he blocked off the airflow by placing his hand over the top of the shaft, checking for any loose openings. Unable to get air, he coughed slightly, lack of oxygen reaching his throat. "Do you think you could pass me that metal tray, just behind you?" The black metal dish sat on a lone stack of fortune telling magazines, forever unread. You picked it up, feeling the cool temperature in your palm, a godsend in this part of the world. You had moved to Egypt to be with your love, briefly caring for him when he was injured. Putting the tray on top of the hookah as instructed, it stood there, still.

Now the hookah was put together, you could begin preparing the shisha for smoking. It started off in a small packet, tobacco drowning in a flavoursome liquid which would thicken the smoke when you inhaled it. The sachet was shaken and ripped open, then dropped into the small bowl in bits. The tobacco was loose, airy like a fairy cake. You figured this would be it, but then he went into another packet, which was clear. Inside was what looked like a handful of rainforest floor. It smelled really strongly when he opened it, even more so on top of the tobacco. Once a thick layer of green was down, Abdul tore some foil to seal the top, patting the edges close to the sides. Taking a small pin from his sleeve, it appeared to be solely used to poke holes in the foil. You realised he hadn't been explaining his actions, and asked to be taught.
"Abdul, what's this for, then?"
"This is to ensure proper air flow. You saw how I couldn't take any air from the hose before, right?" His concentration was almost infectious, complete mind power taking over his hand. "Well, this will open up some airways... Now, where did I leave that coal?" Leaving the kitchen chair, the coal was quickly found on the kitchen windowsill. Sooty, sugar cube-like blocks were lit with his special power, glowing orange almost instantly. Leaving a couple over the foil, the steam created dancing patterns in the air, twirling and leaping towards the ceiling. "Now we wait. The shisha is being heated up gradually." Walking his hand over to yours over the table, his citrine coloured eyes met your own whilst his fingers intertwined with yours. "You may feel slightly dizzy to start with, but that is just because your body is not used to it... Later you will begin to feel relaxed and floaty. This is strong, so if you feel unsafe at any time, the hookah will go straight back. I am here for you."
"Alright. Will you take the first one?"
Nodding, the Arab held the pipe up to his mouth, a sharp inhale lighting the tobacco. Smoke appeared in the vase, Abdul taking a moderately long drag. Passing the pipe to you, it mentally resembled a serpent in your hands. You were looking at it like it was going to leap and bite you.
"Take a relaxed breath, but not too much or you will burn the back of your throat."

Later, you were both settled on beanbags in his living room behind the shop, dreamily falling into a nice slumber on his firm chest. His fingers playing with your hair, airy hookah smoke filling the room.
"How do you feel, Y/N?" To be quite honest, you could barely talk. Your mouth felt like it would drop off if you moved it. Comfortable silence was broken instead when an angry squelch came from your stomach. "...I forgot, you've never had munshis..." [Best translation of munchies I could manage in Arabic] He tilted his head with a sleepy smile, your confused expression amusing him. "What do you want to eat? We have falafel, kofta, kushari—"
"I really want macaroni and cheese."
"You smoke my finest cannabis and you want mac and cheese?!"
"Yes... I need melted cheese on pasta before I fall asleep." Shaking his head, a small simper beneath his nose, he rose to his feet.
"I'm sure I can acquire some macaroni and cheese somewhere in the Souk for you."

Bending over to be closer to your lazy form sprawled on the bean bag, he pressed a tender kiss to your forehead before venturing out into the winding streets of the Souk, determined to satiate your need for mac and cheese.