Chapter Sixteen

The small whispers of doubt flowed through Nova's mind, distracting him from his surroundings. Something Julian noticed as they were walking towards the small ice cream shop. He could see the faraway look in Nova's eyes and he even jumped when Julian took his hand into his.

Nova gave him a shy smile, squeezing his hand. "Sorry."

Julian chuckled, shaking his head, "you don't have to apologize Nova." He titled his head slightly in question. "Is everything okay? You seem a bit," Julian stopped when Nova bumped into someone, laughing softly to himself as the photographer apologized profusely. "Distracted," he finished.

Nova swallowed hard, trying to ignore the whispers in his head. "I'm not distracted."

"Nova," Julian sighed, holding open the door for him as they walked in. "You know that I know you better than that. What's going on in that beautiful head of yours?" He teased, bumping his hip against Nova's as they walked up to the counter.

Nova rolled his eyes playfully and ignored the question, turning towards the person at the front counter, "one scoop of chocolate ice cream and one scoop of cookie dough please." The worker tried his best to understand his English before he nodded, walking off to get their order.

Julian scrunched his nose up in confusion, "did you order chocolate for yourself?"

Giving him a confused look in return, Nova answered, "yes, why is that weird?"

"Nova, you hate chocolate." Julian let out a soft chuckle, shaking his head as the worker came back with a smile. Julian tried to hand her money but Nova gave him a small glare and slapped his hand away gently, handing the worker his own money. "I could've paid for that."

Nova hummed as he handed Julian the small bowl, "you could've. Also I don't hate chocolate, I just don't have it often." He said with a small smile on his lips.

Julian bit the inside of his cheek to try and keep his questions back as Nova looked around for a table for them. What's wrong with him?

"Julian."

Nova's voice broke through his thoughts and Julian looked up to see him already at small table in the corner of the restaurant. It was probably to make sure they wouldn't be noticed by a lot of people. "Coming, sorry." He called out as he weaved through other tables and chairs.

"It's fine," Nova chuckled, shaking his head while sitting down. He started to eat his ice cream, trying not to cringe because in reality he didn't like chocolate and was just to out of it to realize what he had ordered himself.

Julian simply watched as Nova started to zone out with his thoughts again, his eyes going blank with his thinking. He wanted to know what was wrong with him, he needed to know what was wrong with him.

The tapping of Nova's fingers had started in just a few seconds of him being wrapped up in his thoughts. This caused Julian to let his blue eyes flicker down to the familiar tick, reaching across the table to rest his hand over his boyfriend's, causing him to jump.

"Nova," Julian started. "Will you please let me know what's going on? I can tell you're thinking pretty hard about something. You know you can tell me anything right?" Julian finished with a small frown.

Nova swallowed hard and nodded his head quickly, "of course I know that."

"So.." Julian trailed off, wrapping his hand around Nova's smaller one. "Talk to me, what's up?"

The squeeze to his hand caused Nova to look up and meet Julian's kind eyes. "Do you think you'll talk to your management soon about, you know, us?" He blurted out while gripping tighter onto the singers hand.