cannot fucking have.

Unedited.

There's food on my plate. And it looks as expensive as the restaurant I was sitting in. But every bite I take feels like sand in my mouth which is impossible to swallow.

Adele was chatting animatedly about the soon arriving wedding.
I look at Leon but his face gives away nothing.
What was the purpose of having this dinner?
If this was a family dinner before the wedding then why wasn't Max and Yasmina here?
What exactly was the reason behind this sudden dinner plan?

I observe the Adami family . Even though Leon's father and mother were relaxed Leon looked somewhat tense. His shoulders were stiff. He looked extremely alert. He looked like he wanted to be anywhere else but here. I wanted that as well.

I was nodding occasionally not really listening  to anything but suddenly two men in suits come and whisper something in Mr.Adami's ear.

Mr.Adami looked towards Leon and he just nodded tightening his hold on the cutlery he was holding.

I feel dread spreading through my body as Mr.Adami continues speaking to one of the men who just came in. A waiter  comes to our table with the desserts.

  The  deliciously sweet vanilla scent of the Panna cotta hits my nostrils. It has been one of my favourite desserts.

I pick up my spoon to taste the panna cotta but  the spoon drops as soon I hear a gunshot.

I look up to see a gun in  Leon's hand. He had just killed the man who was talking to his father. The man lies on the floor with a bullet wound to the head.  And the  other man who had been standing near Leon picks the dead body  up and leaves.

The patrons of the restaurant are calm  to the chaos and continue with their business.

I on the other hand am not okay. There is blood on our table, on my panna cotta and some on my body too. But I am unable to clean it.

My body is frozen. I am screaming on the inside but not a sound is able to escape my mouth.

Everything is happening so quickly like  its in fast forward. They clear the table.

The waiter comes back with the same desserts as before. Everything looks clean. Back to the way it was. Except for the blood stain on the floor which I know will be cleared after we leave.

I don't know for how long I have been staring at my dessert but suddenly Adele takes a hold of my hand and drags me somewhere with a smile on her face.

As we leave I can see that all of them had finished eating their desserts except me. Adele says something to me but all I hear is a loud ringing in my ears.

She has dragged me to the ladies washroom. But why???
I get my answer when I look at myself in the mirror.

My face is sickly pale and my eyes are the size of saucers filled with fear and uncertainty.

But that isn't even the worst part.

The worst part is the tiny smears of blood across my neck and cleavage.

Blood.

Blood of the man that Leon shot.
It hasn't even been a month and I have seen my husband shoot two people in cold blood.

Monster.

He is an absolute monster.

Slap.

My head is whipped to my right really hard. My cheek stings.

What the fuck!!

"Did you just slap me???" I ask   in disbelieve and shock.

"Yes" she says calmly.

"Why????" I ask almost hysterically.

" To get you out of your trance You need to calm the fuck down"  she says.
Calm; how could I be fucking calm?? Was she high?

"How can I calm down? How?... Did you not see what just happened? He...he killed that man..Just like that bam!!! Just one shot and he's gone. Dead ...shot by your son and you... You think I need to calm down??? ME??" I would have continued my rant but her words stop me.

"Your husband." She interrupts.

"What???" I say.

"He isn't just my son he is going to be your husband as well. You need to stop acting like a child. This isn't going to be the last time he kills in front of you. So you better get used to it. Next time I might not be around to slap you back to your senses. I  told you already these are dangerous waters you swim in. You have to be stronger now. Do you want to end up like that man huh???? No one in the mafia business is innocent. Do you understand???" She explains. Her words make sense and it her eyes hold sadness but their is also firm determination in them.
"Do you understand???" she asks again.

This time I nod.

"Good now let's get you cleaned up." She smiles and I return the gesture not because I want to but because I have to.

She cleans me up gently, to anyone she might look like a kind person but now I know she isn't all that gentle or kind. I stare at her face.

She must have sensed me staring cause she looks at me and smiles. "You cannot show Leon that you are frightened. Listen carefully OK honey. You have to understand These men...they can sense your fear and they feed off it. Leon is quite similar to his father as much as he hates to admit it. He has had nobody in his life...To take care of him or to be there for him. You can be all that for him. And in return you; might not end up like your mother. You don't need to love him but you can at least pretend to love him. Right?"

"Why are you telling me all this? Why help me? I have nothing to give you in return". I ask because nothing in this world came free of cost.

"Aren't you a smart cookie" she chuckles and continues talking "I guess it could be because I pity you or the fact that I actually liked your mother or maybe both? Who knows but what I know is that my husband is not a fan of waiting. So let's go. OK" she starts to leave but I quickly hold her back.

"Thank you" I say with a tiny smile hoping I could trust her.

"Anything for my daughter in-law"  she smiles back as we exit the ladies room.

The walk back is silent but when we sit back at our table Adele smiles and I copy her smile. Leon looks at me but says nothing.

After dinner we all say  our goodbyes. And to my surprise Mr.Adami hugs me, the gesture is not uncommon but coming from him it is. Adele hugs me as well and whispers in my ear "welcome to the family. My husband approves of you". She seems thrilled about this development me not so much. But I won't let that show.

I wanted no part of this family. Only a dinner with them has filled with dread. As we walk Leon keeps his hand on my back.
And my whole body wants to shake his hand off me. The same hand that has killed a man less than an hour ago. But I don't I just hold all  the disgust at bay feeling dead inside.

And that's a wrap!!! I am thankful to all my readers even the silent ones. My college is about to start. So I'm excited about that OK maybe not really that excited. But anyways please vote, comment and follow.

I love you all and have a nice day.