36

Uncomfortable silence surrounded us. Me and a tensed Kashif sat beside eachother on the bed from the last 15 minutes, nit saying a word to each other.

When it got too much for me, I finally decided to start speaking and relieve some tension, "Hey Kashif, its alright if you don't want to tell me. It's obvious you're not yet rea-" "She was my wife." He interrupted me immediately, dropping the bomb in me, when I started speaking and, I instantly became silent.

Shock consumed me, when I heard this and, I couldn't speak a word. Not cousins, not even in a relationship, but wife? She was his wife! Oh my God! It was too much to process. When I didn't say anything, he decided to break the tense silence and tell me everything. Each and everything, from the start.

"Natasha was my wife." He said. After a pause he continued, "Let me tell you a story. Once there was this happy family, where there was a son, a daughter, parents and a best friend of the son. But, as you know every good thing has to come to an end. Just like that, the family's happiness also came to an end and till this day they are not in peace. Til this day those moments haunt them. That family broke apart." He told me.

"It all started when the son which is me was in the last year til my degree completed in another country. You know me, Adam and Asma were really close from our childhood, but still I never knew that my sister was in love with someone, not until it was too late to do anything and, me being the foolish person that I was, failed to see the signs. You know the best part? She was in love with my fucking best friend. Yes she was in love with Adam and if I knew it before I could've stopped everything from going wrong."

"So, as I was telling you. In my last year, close to my exams one day, I get a call from my father. He told me that as Asma and me were now of age, he has decided to get us married and he has a potential proposal for both me and Asma, that the people are good. The boy has no parents and the girl has. They're both very successful. My father asked me if I had someone in my mind." He continued.

"As you were still not of age and no where near to it at that time as well as I thought what I had for you was just infatuation so, I agreed to him. I knew that whatever decision my father would make for me would be the best, but I didn't knew that sometimes even parents are wrong. When I agreed, it was after that he told me that Asma has already agreed to the proposal, but what I didn't knew was that she was forced in this marraige and no my father never forced her, she was apple of his eye. He loved her too much to go against her wishes." He sighed and gave a short pause, before continuing.

"It was a day before our wedding, that I returned back to our country. All preparations were done. I don't know why, but I felt the need to talk to my sister. That night when she opened the door to her room for me, the sight I saw worried me. There in front of me was my sister with puffy eyes from crying too much. I was worried and asked her what was wrong, but instead of answering she hugged me and continued crying. I moved us both to her room and comforted her. After a while, I finally managed to calm her down then, she told me that she didn't want to maary Salman, the business partner my father had chosen for her and that she was in love with someone else."

"When I asked her who was she in love with, she replied Adam. I was shocked, but happy. Ecstatic even. I told her that I was going to go to father and ask him to cancel her wedding, but she stopped me saying that I can't and that I won't ever tell Adam that she loves him. I of course didn't listen to her and still went to my father and told him everything. He came with me to her room to know everything, but she glared at me and told father that she was just nervous and that I was just too much worried. When I argued, her words were if father wants this wedding, I want this wedding then don't interfare in it. I want to marry Salman and no one else, but I saw right through her facade. She was doing this by force, but why? Who was forcing her?  I tried everything till last minute, but I couldn't stop her wedding and we both got married." He told me and I took a minute to let everything sink in, then asked, "What happened after that?"