How To Remove Stretch Marks After Pregnancy: 16 Home Remedies & Medical Treatmen

Stretch marks are common among women after pregnancy. You might have fine lines mostly in the areas prone to fat accumulation like breast, hips, arms, abdomen, tummy and thighs. They may develop due to hormonal changes or sudden fat loss in these regions. Here, MomJunction tells you how to get rid of stretch marks through home remedies, and medical treatments.

Is It Possible To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks?

It is not possible to get rid of stretch marks completely as they only get lighter with time. Massaging creams, lotions, and oils cannot make the marks disappear but only turn your skin smooth and supple.

Over the months and may be years, the marks gradually turn into fine lines which are almost closer to your skin tone. Though you may have to bear the natural ‘battle scars’, they become less visible in three to six months after delivery, write Janet Arenson and Patricia Drake in their book Quick Look Nursing: Maternal and Newborn Health.

There are certain effective home remedies you can try to reduce the appearance of postpartum stretch marks. Most of these remedies are from The Big Book Of Home Remedies, written by Samuel Billings.
1. Oil Treatment:

Massaging the affected areas with oils make your skin smooth and help reduce the stretch marks. Some of the popularly used oils include:

Olive Oil: Olive oil moisturizes and exfoliates your skin. It also improves the blood circulation and removes stretch marks to a great extent

Take some oil in your palms and gently massage the area.

Let it remain for 30 minutes so that the vitamins A, D and E in the oil are absorbed into the skin.

Take a bath after the massage.

Though it is a time-taking process, it gives you results when you follow it regularly.

Or you can also prepare a mixture of olive oil, water and vinegar, and apply in the nights.

Vitamin E Oil:

Extract the oil from vitamin E capsule.

Mix with any moisturizer you use regularly and apply on the stretch marks.

On regular usage, it gives effective results by fading off the marks.

Castor Oil:

Apply castor oil on the stretch marks and massage the area gently in circular motion for about five to ten minutes.

Use a plastic bag to cover the area, roll a hot water bottle on it for about 30 to 40 minutes.

The heat opens the pores and the oil gets absorbed into the pores.

Clean the area and repeat it every day for at least a month to see good results.

Other Oils: Various oils like coconut, almond, avocado, castor and vitamin E can be mixed in equal proportions and applied on the skin.

You can also use them to massage the region.

You can also use any one oil and use as a massage oil.

Essential Oil Treatment:

Take regular oils like almond or coconut.

Add a few drops of essential oils like rose, geranium, lavender, myrrh or helichrysum.

Use this mixture to massage on the stretch marks for at least 30 minutes. It will help reduce the stretch marks quickly.

2. Aloe Vera: