Day 3

Mark slept the next couple of days away, staying holed in his office so he wouldn't bother Ray. Early the next morning he had gotten a call that he wished he didn't answer.

"Hello?"

"Mark."

"What?"

"Please talk to me."

"I don't have anything to say right now."

"I'm so sorry."

"Save it. Enjoy your trip."

He cut off his phone right after that, not wanting to talk to a human for as long as he could. Soon there was a faint knock on the door and Ray quietly opened it to let Chica out but thankfully she said nothing to Mark. He fell back to sleep for the next twenty-four hours, only getting up to use the bathroom.

The grumbling in his stomach woke him up again but he turned over and tried to force himself back asleep. Thankfully during his slumber, he didn't dream at all so that was the only recluse that gave him comfort. It was when he was awake that his mind was racing with broken memories and painful judgments.

He wasn't like most men; he didn't get into relationships without the intent of making them last forever. One-night stands and fleeting romances weren't ever an option for him since they seemed like a waste of time. He loved his girlfriend and really saw a long future with her but she ruined that. It would take some time but he would get over it.

First step was to refer her like an ex-girlfriend.

A knock on his door jumped Mark from his thoughts and he said nothing as he pulled his blanket over his head. He hoped that if he stayed still that Ray would think he was asleep and leave. As much as he wanted to see her smiling face, he wasn't in the right frame of mind to talk to anyone.

He heard her try the door but was unsuccessful since he locked it. His body relaxed when he heard her walk away and snuggled on the pillow that was beside him. A few moments later he heard a scratching at the door and soon there was a click; indicating that she picked the lock.

Mark stayed still as he heard her footsteps come toward him and a small thud by his bed. Mark waited for her to say something to him but as quick as she entered, she left. Mark peered over his blanket to see a tray down by his feet and he reached out to turn on one of his spotlights to give more illumination in the room.

On the tray was a plate full of food; a hearty sandwich, some pasta with veggies, and bottled water. Without getting out of the bed, Mark pulled the tray toward him and quickly took a bite of the food. He moaned loudly as the flavors of grilled chicken, spicy mayo, and lettuce spread throughout his tongue. He finished the sandwich quickly and moved on to what looked like pasta salad; scarfing it down in a few bites. He washed everything down with the water and noticed there was a small note by the plate

Mark,

As you can see, I made you something to eat so you won't starve to death. If you are allergic to anything on the plate, eat it anyway, it would give you an excuse to leave the room and I will take you to the hospital. Other than that, I hope you enjoy it and feel better.

Ray

Mark reread the note a few times and felt the hole in his heart close just a bit as he laid back. Full and content, his mind flowed back to a couple of days ago when he met Ray. She was a breath of fresh air in his polluted world right now; helping him temporally forget everything that was going on right now without even trying.

He felt the sleep come back to take over and he let it, unconsciously gripping the note she wrote him in his hand.

*****