Day 8

For the next few days, Mark didn't see Ray too much. After the scene at the beach, they returned without mentioning it again. He thought she would act weird but they continued talking to each other as if nothing happened. She told him that she was going to work on her novel and even apologized for not being able to see him much. He offered to take care of Chica so she wouldn't be distracted, hoping it would help her finished sooner.

Mark spent most of his time watching TV and posting his videos. He hasn't bothered calling Wade yet to let him know he's back; not being ready to explain what happened. He only contacted him the night he came back to the apartment that they landed safely.

The loneliness Mark felt while Ray was absent was overbearing. He noticed that any time she was around him, he didn't think about his ex at all. The few times he did see her was when she came out to cook food and she always made enough for both of them. They talked casually about whatever came to mind but he would finish the food alone when she retreated back to the bedroom

Presently he was watching Netflix with Chica on the couch when he heard the bedroom door open. He perked up as he watched her walk towards him in her cute onesie. She was yawning loudly while rubbing her eyes under her glasses.

"Hi," She greeted sleepily.

"Hey."

"How are you?"

"I didn't know you wore glasses," Mark said as she sat down with Chica in between them.

"I normally don't," She said taking them off. "But staring at the computer so much strains my eyes."

Chica moved her head to lay on Rays' lap, stealing her attention from Mark. He watched as Ray rubbed her all over and leaned over to nuzzle against Chica's forehead.

"You're so beautiful."

Ray sat up, looking at Mark with a smirk on her face, "Thanks?"

"I mean," He started his mind racing for a way out. "You are just so gentle and loving with her. It's beautiful when someone cares so much about an animal."

"I love dogs," She said looking back down at Chica letting her lick her face. "Especially affectionate dogs."

Mark was glad he saved himself from slipping up even though he meant it. He would tell Ray she was beautiful every day without any excuse.

"How's the writing coming along?"

"Almost done I think," She said, gently moving Chica off her lap to stand up. "I just woke up from a nap so I needed to walk around a bit."

She walked over to his office and gestured to walk inside, "May I?"

"You're asking permission this time?" Mark joked as he joined her inside the room.

"I wouldn't have had to break in if you weren't acting so damn emo."

Mark said nothing while she walked around the room, rubbing her hands against the padded walls. He normally didn't have any problem with people going into his office but as usual, Ray being there made him nervous.

"You play guitar?" She asked pointing to his instrument.

"Yes, but I haven't for a while."

"Why?"

"Just not enough time in the day."

"I've always wanted to learn how to play," She said wistfully. "But my mom forced me to learn piano."

"I would love to watch you play."

Ray looked at him smiling softly, making him practically melt right there in the middle of the room.