Day 5

Mark stayed in his room for the rest of the day, playing around on his computer and searching for indie games to play in the future. He heard Ray return earlier but she went straight to her room and only left once to take Chica out again in the afternoon. Mark realized that when he was by himself his mind would wander to depressing thoughts about his broken relationship. Being around Ray made it easy to forget everything that's going on, even if it's only for a moment.

When it was close to six o'clock, he powered down his computer and got dressed. He had a plan to take Ray out to one of the food trucks and treat her, hoping it would make up for his rudeness earlier in the day. He walked into the living room where Chica was sitting on the couch, chewing on one of her toys. She jumped down and followed Mark to the bedroom door, sitting down next to his feet.

"Do you think she's still mad at me?" He asked his dog and Chica bit his fingers softly, almost feeling like a chastise from what he did earlier.

He took a deep breath and knocked on her door.

"What?"

"She's still mad," He whispered to Chica, who barked in response. "Are you busy?"

Ray opened the door wearing a onesie pajama that had cartoon images on the fabric with large slippers. Mark tried not to grin widely at how cute she looked putting his shaking hands behind his back. He really hated how nervous she made him feel without even trying.

"I see you're wearing real clothes," She said plainly, eyeing his dark blue shirt with dark jeans. "What's up?"

"I was going to tell you about one of the food trucks you were asking about last night."

Ray said nothing, staring blankly at him making Mark even more uncomfortable.

"Or if you want..."

"I'll get dressed," She said closing the door in his face.

Mark went to sit down on the couch with Chica and tapped on his knee as he waited for her. He felt like he was waiting for his first date, the way his stomach was twisting in knots. He had passed the first hurdle in asking her out, now he had to make sure he didn't fuck things up with any awkward words or actions.

Ray walked out only a few minutes later wearing a dark gray sundress with sandals, looking like she spent hours on herself. He stood up as she walked toward the front door, picking up her wallet and keys. Mark rushed to the front of the apartment and met her at the door.

"You look great," He said to her.

"Thanks," She said giving him a tight-lipped smile that didn't reach her eyes. "Where is this place at?"

"It's only a couple blocks away," He answered. "I'll show you."

"Look," She started. "It's obvious that you don't want to be bothered and I should have respected that. I will go alone and you can just give me directions."

"Ray," Mark started, gently grabbing her arm. "I'm sorry about what I said to you earlier. I had just woken up and wasn't feeling well but I shouldn't have taken it out on you."

She pulled her arm back, crossing them over her chest but waiting for him to continue.

"Let me treat you to your first L.A. fish taco."

Ray's eyes softened and she gave Mark a genuine smile, "Well if you're buying..."

Mark internally gave himself a high five as they walked out together and made their way to the street. Mark pointed out different places Ray should check out while visiting and places she should avoid. She was back to her happy, smiling self, much to Mark's delight and her mood rubbed off on him making him act like a tourist just like her.