Day 12

"Do you think you could ever cook like that?" Mark asked, leading Ray out of the restaurant.

"I would kill myself trying to flip three knives in the air," She laughed. "I'll stick to simple, one knife, cooking."

They just finished having dinner where the chef cooked in front of them. When they stood up from the table, Mark took Rays' hand to help her up and hasn't let go of it since. Ray hasn't made a move to take her hand back so he just went with it, much to his delight.

"Are you tired?" He asked her.

"Not really, why?"

"I remember you saying you were the queen of Mario Kart."

"This is true."

"I think it's time to challenge that remark."

"Oh, really?" She said grinning at him.

"Unless you're scared," Mark taunted as they entered his apartment.

"Get set up," She said walking into the bathroom.

Mark set up in the bedroom and changed into some more comfortable clothes. He tossed Ray the controller when she came out in her onesie pajamas and she jumped on the bed.

"Wait," Mark said before they started. "Isn't it rude to embarrass a guest in your own home?"

"Isn't it rude to make a man cry in his own home?" Ray countered.

"You're dead."

For the next few hours, they played endless tracks using the same rider each time; Mark's favorite was Shy Guy and Ray's was Yoshi. She lost a few times in the beginning but as they kept playing, she started to overpower Mark, eventually ending the last race with Ray winning twenty-seven races to Marks twenty-four.

"Looks like that crown is slipping," She said jumping on the bed in celebration.

"You cheated," Mark said dramatically poking out his bottom hip.

"You can't cheat in Mario Kart!"

"That's the only way you could have won! I don't believe it!"

"Believe it!"

"Calm down, Naruto," He said getting off the bed and making his way into the bathroom. "Get ready for round I don't remember when I return."

"I'll be waiting," She said settling down on the bed.

Mark did his business in the bathroom and then went into the kitchen to get some water. When he returned to the room, he saw Ray sleeping on the bed still holding the controller. He walked up to her and brushed some hair off her face, admiring how angelic she looked.

He shut down the game and tried to pull the controller away from Ray but she jerked up from her sleep.

"I'm awake!"

"No, you aren't," He said pushing her back down on the bed. "You're probably still sleepy from taking care of me last night. Get some rest."

"Will you stay with me?" She asked.

Mark looked down at her, almost saying it was a bad idea. But when she looked up at him with those big brown eyes he couldn't resist. Mark took off his glasses, placed them on the nightstand, and sat down next to her holding his arm up as she laid down on his chest.

"Only until you fall asleep."

After only a few minutes, he heard her breath softly into his chest. He absentmindedly rubbed his fingers on her back as he rested his head on top of hers, closing his eyes at the gentle rhythm.