Part 16. Hijak

No ones POV

"What happened to Natsu?" Levy asked Gray with a serious face.

"Shouldn't I be asking about what's going on with you and Gajeel?" Gray retaliated quicker than he meant to.

Levy seemed flustered for a second, "That's not the point right now! What happened to Natsu, Gray?"

"I don't know. Why don't you ask him?" Gray said, obviously lying.

Levy sighed, "I did. He said something happened between you two but then he shut down on me. He stopped responding so I gave up and now I'm here."

So much for keeping his walls up. Gray broke.

"I messed up, Levy. I yelled at him- I got frustrated and angry. I wasn't angry at him it's just that he wouldn't talk to me about what's going on." Gray hopelessly stumbled over his words, his shoulders slack with regret.

Levy frowned, feeling bad for instantly judging Gray for making Natsu upset.

"Gray..." Levy reached out to touch Gray's shoulder but he only shrugged off her grasp.

"I fucked up, Levy. But I know that something is going on and if Natsu isn't going to tell me I'll find out myself. I'll find them. I'll kill them." Gray growled, his hair falling over his eyes.

Levy only stood in silence as Gray pushed off of the wall and marched away down the hall. Levy understood why Gray had blown up, he was frustrated that Natsu wouldn't tell him- he felt as if Natsu didn't even trust him anymore.

"I'm going to go look at the security footage later." Gray grumbled more to himself but Levy still heard.

She was going to go after him again but she was pushed back by a small group of servants that bustled through and she gave up. She stood in the hallway, dropping her head and sighing hopelessly.

A large hand fell onto Levy's shoulder and she jumped. Levy quickly spun around only to see Gajeel standing there with a sad smile.

"Sorry I scared you, Pipsqueak. I'm guessing that not everything went to plan. The fact that Gray and Natsu had a fight has spread around the castle like wildfire." Gajeel said to her solemnly.

Levy nodded, "Yeah, Gray explained to me what happened and that he was sorry. He feels like total shit for accidentally blowing up at Natsu. He didn't mean it."

"Yeah, I know that he didn't mean it. I think that Natsu matters more to Gray than he does to any of us."

"Yeah." Levy agreed, chuckling lightly.

"Anyway, I didn't come find you to talk politics. Would you like to head into the town for lunch? I'm hungry and I feel like I haven't left this place in years unless I'm going to track down some crazy." Gajeel offered.

"I'd love to." Levy smiled and took Gajeel's hand in her own before walking with him through the halls towards the main entrance to the building.

- - -

Gray continued to walk along the halls aimlessly with his head down towards the floor. He could feel the gazes of those around him watching him as he passed.

He wasn't surprised that they already knew about what had happened between him and Natsu. While Natsu was once respected and pitied by many of the rebels, Gray had always been their enemy.

Gray had been nothing more than King Celestials pawn, afterall, he most likely wasn't even related to the King by blood. The King didn't care if Gray was killed and neither did the majority of the towns people.