thirty six, forever and always.

≡ 036 CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX!

ALEXANDRIA STOOD IN CRESTMONT'S ONLY hospital with her face buried in Scott's chest. She was hysterical, but she and Scott both knew it was because of the marijuana still in her system. In a few hours, she'd be calmer, but at that moment, she was crying into Scott's chest, even though her mother was just in critical condition. "Shh, it'll be okay," Scott cooed, running his hands through Alexandria's hair as it seemed to soothe her.

"Excuse me, ma'am?" the couple turned around, seeing a short, red-haired lady. She gestured to Marisol's hospital room. "Your mom's up, and she's looking for you," the woman spoke before walking away. Alexandria looked up at Scott as she pulled away from him. She gave him a reassuring nod. The girl entered her mother's room, immediately examining the cuts and bruises on the woman's face. "Ma—" Alexandria croaked out.

"Mija, I'm so sorry," Marisol said as Alexandria sat on the edge of her bed.  Alexandria shook her head, tears forming in her eyes. It was terrible seeing her  mother like this. This woman had been her rock, her hero, for so long, and to see her broken down and beaten was the worst thing that Alexandria could ever see in her life. She'd seen her dad in a casket, but she hadn't been physically there. Alexandria felt a hand on hers, so she looked up at her mom's hand as it squeezed her.

A tear fell down Alexandria's face just as it did her mother's. "I'm sorry. I've been such a.." Alexandria paused, in search for a word. "A brat lately, and I've been—"

Marisol shook her head, squeezing Alexandria's hand once again. "I'm not—I'm not gonna make it," the woman spoke. Alexandria looked away, trying to blink away the storm of tears that clouded her eyesight. "You know that. I know that. They know that," Alexandria didn't want to believe it.

"That boyfriend of yours.. Scott," Alexandria looked over to her mother. "I know. I pay attention," Marisol began. "Keep him close. He seems like a good kid."

That's when Alexandria broke. The tears streamed down her face silently as she refused to look at her mother. The tubes that ran through all parts of her body were unbearable to look at. "You'll go with your Tia Marti in LA. Probably start school there."

"Mama, please, don't," Alexandria begged. She couldn't bear the thought of losing her mother. She'd already lost one parent, and the other one.. Her mother had been by her side since the very day she was born, even before then. No matter what they'd gone through, they'd gone through it together.

"Alex, look at me," Marisol whispered. Alexandria stared straight ahead. She didn't want to. She couldn't. "Mija," the woman continued. Finally, Alexandria turned her head. She then turned her body, facing her mother. "I love you, so much."

"Mama, please," the girl cried out as she shook her head, in denial. "I love you, and you know that. You've always been my baby, and you've always seen the good in everything. So, right now, I need you to look toward the future. I need you to stay strong for me. Can you do that?"

"I—I can't," the girl lowered her eyes at her mother's and her hand. "Yes, you can. You did it with your dad, and you can do it for me," Marisol stated weakly. Her voice was losing its power, and Alexandria barely heard her. "Mama, no. I was younger then. I wasn't broken. I can't lose you, please," Alexandria pleaded once again.

"You are not broken. You are the strongest person I know," Marisol insisted. Alexandria looked over at the door where she saw Scott pacing back and forth nervously.

"Alexandria Luna, I love you so much. Till," Marisol paused. "Forever and always," Alexandria mumbled as her mother's eyes slowly closed. Realizing the sudden silence, Alexandria snapped her head towards her mother. "Goodbye, Alex," the woman weakly smiled before a loud and consistent noise rang through Alexandria's ears. "Mama, no!" Alexandria screamed as she glanced over at the flatlining machine. Alexandria didn't really remember what happened after that. She'd been pulled out of the room by the nurses, and Scott had pulled her into his arms, silencing her screams and sobs.

AUTHOR'S NOTE!

anyways, i'm ending this
book in 3 chapters 😚.