thirty eight, we'll find a way.

≡ 038 CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT!

"I COULD GO WITH YOU," SCOTT SPOKE. Alexandria turned to the boy, a laugh escaping her lips. "No, you couldn't." Alexandria's family members were scattered around the house, packing up all of Alexandria's mother's and her belongings. It was Scott's and Alexandria's last day together. "Yes, I could," Scott turned to face the girl as well.

It'd been three days since Alexandria's mother had passed, and Alexandria hadn't been to school since. She was afraid she'd have an outburst at school. Honestly, the girl could barely control herself at home. She'd lost the only person who, no matter what went down between the two of them, always had Alexandria's back. The one person who unconditionally loved Alexandria, through it all. Alexandria's rock. Her support system. Her will to live. With Marisol gone, Alexandria wasn't sure how'd she function. She'd be leaving behind her friends, everything she'd known for the past sixteen years. Not to mention, she'd be leaving behind Scott.

Scott had been the only person that Alexandria allowed herself to fall in love with. Sure, the girl's life wasn't that long, but she'd never cared for someone so deeply as she did for Scott Reed. She'd break the news to Scott in the next three hours before Alexandria would have to leave him for good.

"Alex?" Scott spoke, his blue eyes looking into Alexandria's brown-colored ones, searching for any sign of emotion. Alexandria looked down at the ring on her middle finger, the ring she'd obtained from her mother's lifeless body. She didn't want to look Scott in his eyes, she knew that she'd crack. He was her weakness, and he was the only person who could break the girl for good, which was why it was so hard to tell him what she needed to tell him oh, so badly.

"I'm going with you to LA. I don't care what my parents say. I have enough credits, I can finish out the rest of high school at what ever school you go to. I can't leave you. Not now," Scott spoke, resting his hand on the side of Alexandria's face. The girl looked down, allowing a tear to stream down her face. "We're not going to LA," Alexandria whispered. Scott pulled back, looking at Alexandria, in search of any hints.

"They━My aunt wants me to go to New York with my dad's family. She thinks it'll be better for me. I'll get to know them. She already has three teenagers. She's a single mother. Adding me to the family isn't going to be a great transition."

Scott couldn't speak. Alexandria would be moving across the country. They'd definitely never see each other, then. "And what do you want?" Scott questioned, his fingers finding themselves in each other as he nervously fiddled. "There's nothing here for me in Crestmont," Alexandria spoke. She then sighed, seeing Scott's hurt expression.

"That's not what I meant. I can't stay here forever, Scott. Even if I wanted to. My aunt doesn't want to move here. She and the girls have lives in LA. If I wanted to drop out, get a job, find an apartment, I couldn't. With both of my parents," Alexandria paused. "dead━I'm now a ward of the state. If I don't hurry up and move in with my blood family, it's over for me. I go into the system," the girl explained. "W━We'll find a way," Scott muttered, flying up from the bed. He began pacing, which worried Alexandria.

"Scott, there is no way. I can't go into the system. Maybe.. Maybe it's for the best," Alexandria croaked out. Scott rested his head against the wall, his back turned to Alexandria. When Alexandria heard the sob escape Scott's lips, she slowly stood up. Scott had never cried in front of Alexandria, and it truly broke her to see him like this. The girl wrapped her arms around his torso, even with his back face to her. She rested her cheek against the boy's back as her arms were tightened against his body. With every heave of Scott's, Alexandria felt it, too.

"Scott, I don't want to go. I don't want to leave you, but I can't sacrifice everything just to stay here, in Crestmont. Look at me," Alexandria pulled back, hoping Scott would turn around. He did. Scott wiped his tears as he looked down at the girl, his hands rested on her tear-stained cheeks. "I love you, okay? I have never loved anyone as much as I love you. I loved my mom, but there's something different from a motherly love compared to the love that we share. I, never in a million years, thought that the day would come where I'd be forced to say goodbye to you, but here we are," Alexandria spoke.

Scott's thumbs caressed Alexandria's cheeks, and the girl went on. "The love that had only started because of the simple lust that we shared for each other. Lasting an entire summer. The love that was the most complicated thing on earth that always brought us back to one another. The love that, no matter who tried to come between it, could never be stopped. We both tried to deny it for weeks, months, but that didn't stop us, Scott. I loved you, and I still love you, and if this is the end of us, then let it be the end, me telling you that I will always love you," Alexandria placed her hands on Scott's hips, tears silently streaming down her face.

"No," the boy shook his head, leaning forward to press a simple kiss on Alexandria's forehead. "This isn't the end of us. We're not breaking up because you're moving across the country. We tried to come between us. Nova tried to come between us. Bryce tried to come between us. Everyone tried to come between us. You think distance has anything on us?" Scott grinned, causing a small smile to form on Alexandria's lips.

AUTHOR'S NOTE!

one more 😋! i was going to
kill them both, but i've decided
on something else. toodles!