chapter twenty-four

/\Tom's POV/\

Tom giggled as his hand brushed the other's, laying on the grass while the other sat up, gazing at Tom with a look of love stuck on his face. Tom continued staring at the night sky, the stars shining brightly in the open field, the wind howling in his ears. Finally, he couldn't take it, and he turned to the other while slurring, "What are you- what are you looking at me?" The sentence was slightly incoherent, but the other as able to tell what he had meant- after all, he was drunk, too.

"You're, like, really fucking pretty," the boy answered, causing Tom to scrunch his face involuntarily.

"M-me? Pretty? Pssh, as if," Tom waved his hand, though his grin was obvious. The other leaned down and kissed Tom on the nose, something he always did when Tom was self-deprecating. He never admitted it, but the act really did make him smile.

"I love you," the other boy offered confidently.

"I lav you too," Tom tried, but he narrowed his eyes, "lav? Lov? Oh, fuck it, you get what I meant."

"What do you, like, love about me?" the other asked, grabbing Tom's hands expectantly.

"Well, I really like- I really like your green eyes.  They're like emeralds. Or dragon scales. Emerald dragon scales," Tom stuttered, face full of concentration.

"What else?" he pressured, watching as Tom's face twisted.

"Well, I like your- I like your skin tone. You're paler than a- than a vampire. And your brown hair. It's like a... hamster's nest?"

"And...?" the other continued, gazing intently.

"Your sister is hot."

"Fuck you." They both giggled before Tom went on.

"You protect- you protect me. And that means a lot." Tom went quiet before continuing, "What do you love about me?"

"I like your music taste. You, like, listen to all this emo shit but, like, your favorite song is Nasty by Brooke Candy," he giggled, running his fingers through his hair.

"Shhhhh, that's supposed to- that's supposed to be a secret," Tom slurred back, flicking him on the nose.

"I also love your edgy backstory. I mean, like, who the fuck has a legit pineapple and bowling ball as their parents? That's, like, fuckin' hardcore, Thomas," he giggled, poking Tom on the cheek.

"The same guy who has no eyes and four spikes in his hair," Tom joked back, not bothering to correct the use of his name. Tom liked it when he called him Thomas. The boy smiled at him before leaning down and kissing him. The kiss was clumsy, but it was peaceful. When he pulled back, Tom was giggling.

"I love you," he repeated.

"I love you too," Tom assured, finally saying 'love' correctly.

"So, have I ever told you of the rabbit hole?"

Silence filled the air as Tom put a thoughtful face. "Nope," he answered after a few moments, popping the 'p'.

"Well, do you Puer Stella River?"  he asked.

"Christ, Nick, that's where we- that's where we met, of course I know," Tom replied, internally rolling his eyes.

"Rude! Anyways, rumor has it, a majority of the bank will suck you under if you stand on it for too long," Nick gaped, excited.

"How would that even work?" questioned Tom as he sat up.

"I don't know! But isn't it, like, blocked to the public!?"

"Yeah..."

"We should go check it out!"

"...why the fuck not, Nick."