chapter forty-seven

If there was one thing Tom enjoyed, it was waking up to half of your roommates being gone. If there was one thing Tom hated, it was having Tord being his only company. The Norwegian was inside his room, Tom sitting snugly on the couch with an oversize blanket covering him. He could hear Tord's voice, but he wasn't really paying attention. He was, apparently, busy with 'work'. Again.

The words were dull, but he heard a name that sounded familiar. He sat up, eyes widening as he focused on the slightly muffled voice.

''I mean- how hard can it be to cover up?!"

Cover up?

"It's one missing man! We've killed hundreds more!"

Tom froze at that.

"Oh my god, yes, I had to! I liked Tom at the time!"

Oh.

Oh, that was really mean.

"You're questioning why!? Do you not remember what he did to Tom, Patryk?!"

Why the hell was he a part of this conversation, anyway? What did he do to deserve that?

"Mike was a sadistic asshole that got what he was coming. As my mom always said, fight fire with fire. Goodbye."

Mike?

Mike.

Missing man.

Got what he had coming.

Had to.

Oh, shit.

Did Tord?

Did he?

Did he kill Mike?

Tom was stuck in one place, just gaping. Sure, he had known Mike was missing. It was all over the news. But, Tord... did Tord kill Mike?

Oh, god.

His stomach hurt. He felt like throwing up. Tord killed Mike because of Tom. Tom was responsible for yet another death.

Why did Tord kill him?

He wanted to protect you- how cute!

Protect him? Tord wanted to protect him?

He could've died trying to protect you! You put everyone you love in a dangerous position.

He didn't need to protect Tom, though. Tom could take care of himself.

That's right! Exactly!

Tom shivered at the faint feeling of fingers brushing against his shoulder.

Give Tord a piece of your mind, Tommy! You aren't a baby!

Tom nodded dumbly. It was right. The voice was right. It was always right. He stood unsteadily, legs shaking a bit. He didn't feel like he was walking as he made his way towards Tord's room. He was knocking on the door before he realized it, eyes blank and wide.

"What, Tom? Don't you realize I'm busy?" Tord snarled as soon as he opened the door, the Norwegian pinching the bridge of his nose in annoyance.

Tom didn't stutter or pause. "Did you kill Mike?"

"Oh, fuck." Tord's eyes widened. "I was talking too loud, wasn't I?"

"So you're admitting it? You killed my step-brother?"

"Your abusive one, yes. I wasn't going to let him go free." Tord crossed his arms defiantly. He admitted it. Without any shame or remorse.

"Why?"

"I was protecting you!" Tord replied, exasperated, throwing his hands up.

You're not a child.

"I'm not a child," Tom repeated, eyes narrowing.

"You act like one!" the Norwegian accused, taking a step closer.

Stand your ground.

Tom listened. He didn't move.

Need we remind him of his immaturity?

"Need I remind you of your immaturity?" he spat, crossing his arms as he looked Tord in the eyes.

"Fucking hell. Why are you making a big deal out of this?" Tord sighed deeply, averting his gaze.

"Because you killed someone and--"

You don't need to be protected.

"--I don't need to be protected!" That phrase came out in a tone eerily similar to the voice's tone.

"Yes, you do! Everywhere you go, you put your loved ones in a dangerous position because you need to be protected!" Tord growled, shaking his head.

You got kidnapped because of your affiliation with him and his stupid army.

"I was kidnapped because of my affiliation with you and your stupid army!" Tom yelled, fists clenching. Was he really listening to the voice? God, he was. It was helping him.

"It's not a stupid army, Thomas!"

Avoiding the point.

"Don't call me that!" Tom took a deep breath before continuing, Tord jumping back from his little outburst. "You avoided the point."

"I'm not talking about this right now," Tord hissed. Then he stepped back and closed the door.

He couldn't handle the pressure.

"Couldn't handle the pressure," Tom agreed under his breath. He turned to leave. "Thank you."

Thank you for what, Tommy?

"For helping me."

Does that mean you accept me now?

"Yeah, I guess it does."

You're welcome, Tommy, the voice purred in response. He shivered again as he felt fingers on his arm.