chapter thirty-nine

Tom's eyes opened suddenly. The only thing he could see was a bright light that burned his eyes, but it was soon fleeting.

When he could finally see, he was full of wonder. Everything was pink. The sky was no longer blue, and there was no sun, yet everything was lit. Flower petals covered the floor, falling on his hair and shoulders.

Then he saw the river.

It was not pink, but an ugly brown color as the water rushed. He bristled slightly when he realized it was about to overflow.

"Don't worry about the river, Thomas." He whipped his head around, only to relax. "Here. I made something for you." Tord walked forward, holding a flower crown. He was wearing one, too, but unease filled him when he saw that the flowers were dead. Rotten, even.

"But, Tord-" he began, taking a step forward.

"You deserve it," Tord interrupted, slowly raising his arms to put the crown on Tom's head. "You look lovely. " The Norwegian smiled.

"The river... it looks like it's about to overflow," Tom said quietly, turning his head to look back at it.

"It overflows plenty, but I help return it to its'  original state," he explained, walking towards it.

Tom turned around to watch Tord stop at the bank of the river. "How do you do it?"

Tord didn't answer, just put his hands above the water. "Watch," he rasped. His hands began to glow red, causing Tom to gape. The river slowly began to clear, water returning back to its original state.

"It's beautiful," Tom whispered in awe, watching as Tord stood and backed up.

"It's you," he replied.

Tom blinked, and when he opened his eyes, the pink was gone. Everything was an ugly brown, including the river.

Then everything stopped.

Tom woke to Patryk's humming. He slowly shifted upwards, glancing around the room. Tord and Paul were drinking, watching television, while Patryk was sitting next to Tom. He had been moved to the couch, apparently.

"Good morning, Tom." Paul was the first to notice he was awake, giving him a large smile.

"Morning," Tom replied gruffly, rubbing his eyes.

"Drink?" Tord offered, picking up a beer can.

Patryk looked like he was about to scold Tord, but Tom replied, "No. I'm not even twenty one."

That didn't stop you before.

Fuck off, Tom snarled back to the voice.

It actually went quiet for once.

"Alright, alright," Tord surrendered, a grin on his face. Tom smiled back.

It was finally a nice day.