chapter twenty-seven

/\Tom's POV/\

Tom yawned, shuffling around in his bed. Some confusion entered him when he realized he felt strangely... smaller, though he was reassured he was safe and sound when he squeezed Tord.

Wait.

That's a pillow.

Tom attempted to open his eyes, though they were only met with darkness before swiftly shutting again. God, he was tired.

"Hush, little baby, don't make a noise," a new voice began to sing, and Tom tensed his muscles. "Mama's gonna buy you a mocking bird." Tom relaxed when he realized who it was. "And if that mocking bird don't sing, mama's gonna buy you a wedding ring," his stepmother sang, rubbing his leg softly. "If that wedding ring don't shine, mama's gonna buy you a looking glass." Tom repeatedly trying to open his eyes, the feeling of unease growing with every glance. "I'm protecting you, Tom," she whispered. His eyes snapped open, and he opened his mouth to scream. Her clothes were bloody, her braided hair soaked, face scarred.

"Go- get a-away from me!" Tom yelled when he found his voice.

"But I'm protecting you, Thomas," Miss repeated, blood leaking from her wounds.

"I don't- I don't care! Go away!" Tom yelled, frozen in terror.

Miss nodded.

The Brit woke with a start, flying upwards. He was hyperventilating as he stood up, grasping at the bedpost.

"Ok, okay, you're fine, Tom, just a nightmare," he tried to reassure himself. When his shaking stopped and his feet steadied, he glanced around the room.

Fuck.

Guess he had actually woken up, huh? Tom let out a deep sigh, glancing out the window of his old room- no, his room. The night was pitch-black, and when he glanced at the clock, he rushed back into the bed. He was supposed to be asleep.

"Tom? What are you doing awake?"

Tom's head shot up so fast that he could feel the whiplash. Mike stood there, frame leaning on the doorway, eyes gentle. "I had a nightmare," he admitted, shoulders relaxing.

Mike's face softened, and he quietly walked to Tom. He leaned down and wrapped the boy in a hug, his sandy blonde hair tickling Tom's forehead. "I'm sorry. Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I'm just happy it ended," Tom answered, shifting to hug Mike back. When Mike pulled back, his expression was filled with something eerily similar. His blue eyes flashed a reddish brown color before returning normal as he leaned towards Tom. His lips met the Tom's, the Brit freezing in shock. He seemed to come to his senses, though, pushing Mike back.

His face contorted in confusion, watching Tom's expression as he carefully said, "You... don't want it?"

"N-no, I don't want it! You're- you're my stepbrother," Tom replied, horrified, wiping his mouth distastefully.

Mike clicked his tongue, and Tom flinched when he sneered, "How do you know you won't change your mind?"

Tom opened his mouth only to close it, much to shocked to answer. Mike rolled his eyes, grasping Tom's wrists and pushing him down. "What the- Mike, stop it!"

"How is a nice guy like me supposed to get a chance when adorable boys like you only date scum?" he hissed angrily, straddling Tom.

"Nick wasn't sc-" Tom was cut off then Mike shoved his hands around Tom's neck, squeezing. His eyes widened and he desperately began to claw at Mike's hands.

"We don't talk about that manslut around here, got it?" Mike growled, increasing the pressure of his hold. Tom nodded, tears beginning to stream out of his eyes. Mike let go, watching as Tom struggled to breath underneath him.

Wake up.

"Mike, please, get off me," Tom begged, biting his lip.

Wake up, Jehovah's Witness.

Mike scoffed, "You know you want it." He locked their lips again, Tom struggling. He closed his eyes, trying to will everything away-

Tom, you gotta wake up.

He slapped Mike. It was weak and pathetic, but enough to make him pull back and nurse his cheek. "Mike, get off, and get the fuck out!"

"That's how you wanna play this?" the bigger man growled, face steaming with anger. "Then I'll show you."

And Tom screamed. He screamed so hard to the point where he shot up, Mike and his old home gone, three people around him, desperately trying to help as he kept screaming.