chapter thirty-three

Tom wheezed, glaring at his stepmother. His back felt like it was on fire, but he was just so, so exhausted. Miss smiled, knife in hand as she circled him. Very gently, she dragged the knife across his cheek, right under his eye. Tom bit his lip, eyes squeezing shut. He just wanted to sleep, but every time he fell asleep, Miss would cut him before continuing the torture.

"Thomas, Thomas, my little flame. You just need to tell us the Red Leader's name, and I'll give you a break. After all, I am humane," she cooed sweetly, slightly digging the knife into his skin.

"Go fuck yourself," he hissed, bracing for pain. She pressed the knife to his cheek, drawing blood. In a swift moment, she pulled, leaving a large and bloody mark on his skin.

"So stubborn, but it's so fun. Just give us answers." Miss continued to circle him, wiping the weapon on Tom's shirt.

Tom slowly opened his eyes, letting out a deep sigh. "Miss. What happened? What did he do to you?"

Miss smiled like he was complying. "He tortured me." She began to rub his shoulder. "Cut my face. Starved me. Drowned me. Almost killed me. But I escaped. I escaped and never looked back."

"Did you know what it was like?" Tom began. "When you left me with David and Mike. Do you understand... what they did?" his voice was quiet and Miss had frozen. He took a deep, shaky breath, anger coursing through his veins. "Answer me!" he shouted, leaning forward as much as he could.

"No, I do not. But, I'm sure it was alright. David and Mike are fine men," Miss chuckled, taking a step back.

"Fine... fine men?" That's when Tom started laughing. "Fine fucking men?" He was pissed. "Do you want to know what they did? It's your choice."

Miss gazed at him for a moment. Her eye was narrowed, her head cocked to the left. She was curious. "Yes, I would like to know."

Tom took another breath, trying to hide the fact that he was trembling with rage. "They hit me, choked me, starved me. But worst of all?" Miss leaned in closer. "Raped me. Once a week or so. Do you..." Tom didn't finish his sentence, just kept gazing at her, his eyes burning.

"Do I what?" Miss questioned, her face a few inches away from Tom's.

"Do you fucking understand what that's like? The Red Leader saved me faster than you did, you living, breathing, piece of fucking shit! He came to my rescue while you stood to the side, never bothering to check on the only people who have ever fucking loved you! My life was ruined the moment we were given the news that you were supposedly dead. The only person who had ever bothered to be kind to me after you left were complete strangers who had never seen me before. They're the only people who had cared for me- and you call yourself humane!? You're a fucking monster!" Tom was heaving, glaring at Miss. Her eye was wide, mouth opened, suddenly lurching backward as he screamed at her.

It was silent for once.