《7》Bilbo Watson

Tia's POV

The Task Force Headquarters.

The building loomed high over us as we stumbled wearily out of the rental car. The plane flight had been mind-numbingly boring... And I hadn't slept at all. Exhausted, I shoved the car door shut with a loud 'slam!'.

Natasha had apparently rung ahead to let them know we were coming. When she did that, I had no idea, but the short figure of Martin Freeman- or rather- Everett Ross, in this universe- was standing near the entrance to the building with several armed guards.

I had an internal fangirl moment when I saw Ross as I remembered BBC's Sherlock, but this only resulted in me wanting to cry over the whole series.

Sigh.

"Agent Romanoff, Mr. Stark!" Ross called out in greeting, yet I sensed no enthusiasm in his voice.

"Mr. Ross," Natasha dipped her head in acknowledgement, "Thank you for allowing us to come at such short notice. I take it Rogers and the others haven't arrived yet?"

Ross shook his head, no, holding his hand out for first she, then Tony to shake.

"I'm afraid not," He confirmed, and this time I could detect the exhaustion in his voice. I guess I stared for too long, as his gaze suddenly flicked to mine.

He frowned, "Who's this?"

A fangirl who hardcore ships Johnlock. I said in my head.

"She's with us," Tony said firmly.

"My name's Tia Novis," I offered, "I'm helpful, I swear."

Ross hesitated, then shrugged. He beckoned for us to follow him. Natasha confidently strode forward, falling into step beside Ross as he led us into the building. Tony stuffed his free hand in his pocket, still carrying his case in the other. I was too busy staring around in wonder at our surroundings.

The low rustle of movement and the soft buzz of voices filled the air. Men and women hurried about, exchanging notes and giving orders in every direction I looked. Holy cow...

"Oh, I'm sorry, I have to leave you now..." Ross frowned, hand resting on a doorknob, "I have to be outside. Rogers' transport has just arrived. I will be back soon."

I craned my neck to see back out the way we had come. A convoy of vehicles were filing into the parking lot... Just like in the movie.

"Uh, let's see... Stanley, could you please escort Ms. Romanoff, Mr. Stark and Miss Novis to-?"

"Yep, no problem," The man called Stanley sighed. Ross hurried off, back towards the entry doors.

"This way, please..." Stanley instructed in a bored voice. He shoved open a door, holding it open for us all to pass through.

We ascended a long, steep flight of stairs and reached a large room. Glass panels, tables and chairs filled the space, along with even more people. Stanley gestured to a spare conference style table and wandered away.

I slid into an empty seat. Natasha remained standing, but Tony clearly decided to take advantage of the seats to rest his legs.

"I've been meaning to ask..." Natasha said suddenly, eyeing me, "Have you got anything to hide your eye colour? Red-orange stands out compared to everyone else. You would do well to get some sort of disguise to change that..."

"No, I..." I faltered, not sure what to say.

"Actually, I've been working on something that could help that," Tony piped up. He flipped open his briefcase and pulled out a cylindrical box. He placed it in front of me. Confused, I picked it up.

"Open it," Tony rolled his eyes. Frowning, I followed his instructions. The box opened to reveal a pair of scarlet-rimmed glasses.

"Glasses?" Natasha raised her eyebrows.

"Well, yeah!" Tony said defensively, "The glass part alters colour. Basically, it will make your eyes appear blue, rather than red. Try 'em on."

As I slipped them on (perfect fit, hah!), Natasha leaned forward. I blinked at the two adults through the glasses.

"Does it work?"

"Nice one, Stark," Natasha grinned appreciatively, "They actually look blue!"

"Seriously? They do?" I gasped. Tony smirked, evidently pleased with the success of his creation. I smiled. It was nice to see these two weary adults enjoying themselves for a change.

Oh, how that's about to change...

"Just wear those whenever you go out in public," Tony instructed, "They'll help you blend in."

"Thanks...!" I pushed the glasses up the bridge of my nose slightly. The entrance door clanged open once more. Immediately, the atmosphere seemed to grow heavier. Natasha's eyes narrowed slightly, staring at something behind me, and she quickly made her way over to the door and back up the stairs. Tony and I looked around. Another worker was standing in the open doorway, grim-faced.

"Subjects have arrived in the building, everyone," She announced, then she retreated from the room in the same direction Natasha had gone.

I sighed, racking my brains to remember what happened in the movie, "Nat's gone to scold Steve and the others."

"Knowing her, and knowing what the situation is, you're probably right..." Tony groaned as his phone started to vibrate on the table, "We'll just have to wait for them to get here."

I watched forlornly as he scooped it up to take the call. He wandered away, leaving me alone at the table.

"And this is where things really go downhill..." I murmured to no one in particular.