《38》Remind Me Never to Piss Sonia Off

Tia's POV

Clint lead Harley, Sonia and I back out onto the wide verandah.

"Is Director Fury gonna be chilling in your shed again?" I checked. Clint shook his head.

"No, unless he plans to scare the living crap out of me," He eyed the shed begrudgingly. Harley and Sonia exchanged glances, and I could practically hear their confusion. I jumped down the verandah steps with ease and trotted across to the open door of the shed. Inside, a range of tools and benches lined the walls, with a grass-stained tractor nestled in the corner. On the far wall, a battered-looking target was hanging from an iron hook. The bullseye was dotted with numerous puncture holes, undoubtedly left by arrow tips.

"Where do you keep your bow and arrows, then?" I asked, pointing curiously at the run-down object.

"In my private workshop," the light-haired male shrugged.

"Bow and arrows?" Sonia interjected, "I used to practise archery before I moved to New York!"

"Really?" I wheeled to face the female with interest. Sonia nodded, smiling nostalgically.

"Yeah! I used to compete in some small archery competitions," She admitted. Harley looked impressed.

"You want to try it here?" Clint quickly crossed to one of the many cluttered workbenches and snatched up a wooden bow (held together with duct tape, man's strongest creation) and a pair of crudely crafted arrows, "Here, use these. They're just drafts, but they should work well enough."

Sonia laughed awkwardly, "Oh, I haven't practised archery in years! I don't know if I should..."

"Aw, come on! You got this!" I beamed at her.

"You won't know if you don't try, right?" Harley added. Sonia bit her lip, gaze flicking between Harley and I. Finally, she let out a deep breath and accepted the bow and arrows Clint was offering her.

"Well, aright..." She eyed the target, "Maybe, um, just step back? I don't want to accidentally hit any of you..."

As we shuffled back to the doorway, Sonia notched the end of the arrow on the bowstring. She hesitated, then drew back the bowstring to its full length. I shot a glance at Clint, who was watching like a hawk (haha, get it?) as the girl raised the weapon to aim at the worn target, eyebrows creased in concentration.

With a tiny whooshing noise, Sonia released the arrow. It shot from the wooden bow, and within seconds, implanted itself right between the second and third rings of the target.

"Nice one!" I clapped excitedly, ignoring Harley's muttered exclamation of, 'And I can't even throw darts properly.'

Sonia lowered the bow, cheeks slightly pink from the attention.

"Hmm, I think you probably could've hit closer to the bullseye if you had a proper bow..." Clint mused, striding forwards to take the draft bow back, "You had a good posture. A little shabby, but good, considering how you said you haven't done it in years. You could join in Lila's archery lessons ifyou'd like."

"Th-thank you!" Sonia chuckled.

"Anyway, yeah, this is the shed," Clint gestured around the structure, "Let's head back to the house, and I'll show you where you guys can sleep, where the bathroom is, stuff like that."