《23》Crimson

A/N: To celebrate the first of the new month, here's an early update!

Tia's POV

"TIA! WHERE ARE Y-"

"Hmm?"

I paused, straightening up and looking back over my shoulder at the scenery behind me. I had ditched skipping along the streets, and had teleported up to the rooftops. Why? One, the view was better. Two, it was fun. Three, well, why not?

"Was that Val'?"

I listened carefully, but no other shout drew my attention. Frowning, I started to backtrack. I had definitely heard something before. It had sounded like Val', but why would she be out on the streets after dark?

I jumped over to the next rooftop, bouncing over to the edge and peering back down the street I had turned into after leaving Val's apartment.

Nothing.

"Cooee?" I called uncertainly. My voice echoed eerily down the deserted street.

Still nothing.

I was about to shrug it off and leave, when a muffled yelp echoed from further down the street, where a darkened alleyway stood, followed by a throaty curse.

Well, that's something?

Cautiously, I edged across the rooftops towards the alley, letting my bag drop down onto the sidewalk behind a potted plant. Fortunately, the rooftop next to the alleyway was not slanted, so I didn't have to worry about accidentally falling off. Again. (Shut up, it only happened once... Okay maybe twice.)

I peeked over the edge of the tiles, and I felt my stomach give a nasty lurch.

A group of four men were crowded in a sloppy semi-circle formation. The stench of alcohol wafted up, nearly causing me to gag. Huddled against the wall, the form of a girl was waving her fists wildly, lashing out at the drunken men as they leered at her.

Valerie.

Oh my god.

Why is she here?

I leaned back, cutting off my view of the scene. Grimacing, I willed myself to change into my combat outfit. With a small burst of fire, it worked, leaving me to crouch in full hero attire. I pulled my hood up over my face and stowed my special glasses in a hard case hanging from my belt.

"Get away from me! I'll punch you, I swear!" Valerie's voice drifted up from the alley, an octave higher than usual. The men guffawed heartily, as if the threat was a joke.

"Come on, we're just here to have some fun!" One of them cooed. All four edged closer to my friend. I vaulted over the edge of the roof.

The same man spoke up again, wiggling his eyebrows at Valerie, "We won't hurt you-"

That's when my boot ploughed into his face.

"BACK OFF, MOTHERDUCKER!"

I have the best battle cries.

The man stumbled forward, smashing face-first into the side wall heavily, where he slumped to the ground, unconscious. The remaining three men stepped back, apprehensive.

"Who the hell do you think you are?!" One of them growled.

"Well, I THINK I'm a passerby who just happened to overhear?" I replied, grabbing Valerie's hand and spouting the words every hero ever has probably used to reassure panicked civilians, "RUN FOR IT!"