Chapter 17

I've never asked a guy to a dance before. So today, was my first. It was Thursday after school, I had already bought two tickets, just in case. They were only $5 each, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Monica: Hey. :)

Andrew: Hey! :)

Monica: I have a question for you.

Andrew: What is it?

Monica: Do you have anything to do tomorrow around 6:00?

Andrew: No, why?

Monica: Well my school is having a Valentines Day dance, and I was wondering if you could come, I bought you a ticket and everything and it would give us a chance to meet in person!

Andrew: I'll be there! Yes, finally, I've been wanting to meet you!

Monica: Awesome! Me too! I'm so excited!

Andrew: Yes, see you tomorrow night! ;)

Monica: See you!

That went really well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was Friday after school. I was getting ready for the dance with Morgan. I wore a pink dress, she wore a red one.

"It's time to go!" yelled my mom. It was 5:45.

We went into my moms car and she drove us to our school.

"Have fun girls, what time should I pick you up?"

"Around 8:00." I said.

"Got it." I closed the door and we went inside. The dance was in the cafeteria and a student council representative stood outside, collecting tickets.

"Oh no." I said in an annoyed tone.

"What?"

"Steve, he's the one collecting tickets."

"Just ignore him."

"You're right."

We went to the door, gave him our tickets, and we went in. There were mostly 6th graders, but there were still a good amount of 7th and 8th graders.

We went over by Samantha and Bianca. We danced a little, then had some pizza, all while I looked at the entrance to see Andrew. I barely knew what he looked like since he had only one picture, and it was heavily edited, but I had a good idea of what he looked like. 15 minutes passed, and I excused myself to go to the bathroom.

I didn't actually go to the bathroom, I just went out in the hallway to wait for Andrew. I tried not to look at Steve, since he was still out there, waiting for anyone else to come. He had to stay out the first hour of the dance, then he could actually enjoy himself the second hour of the dance.

I stood out there, waiting for Andrew. It was almost 7:00, and he still didn't show up.

"Who are you waiting for?" asked Steve.

I didn't want to answer, but since we were alone like this, I guess it couldn't hurt.

"A guy, he goes to Troy high." I said. I didn't want to tell him that this would be the first time me and him would meet.

"Is he your boyfriend?" he asked. Probably thought that's why I rejected him.

"No, we're just friends." I said, "anyways, where's your girlfriend, Haley?"

"She had a dentist appointment." he said.

"Well that sucks." I said.

"I'm sorry." He said.

"What for?" I asked.

"It's almost 7:00 and your date hasn't showed up." he said.

"Yeah." I said.

"And it kind of sucks that I don't have a date for Valentines Day." he said.

"I guess, but it doesn't really matter." I said.

We stood out there in silence until the clock turned to 7:00.

"Well, I don't have to stand out here anymore." he said.

I didn't say anything. I was a little upset that Andrew didn't show up. I sat down on the cold, hard ground.

"Monica, come on, get up. How about we forget about our dates and just come inside with me. Let's have just one dance." he said.

"No thanks." I said.

"I'm trying to make you feel better." he said, "ok , right now there's the dance remix of Lana del Rey's Summertime Sadness, I know you like her music, how about we go dance to that, as friends, you don't even have to touch me."

He really wanted me to go in there with him. I guess he can't stand being alone at all. Even though he's a pig, I took his invitation and I got up and went inside.

We danced to the song until it ended, and we continued to dance. The next song was very slow, it was a slow dance.

"Um, no!" we both said, and we ran out of there, laughing.

"Ok, I have to admit, that was fun." I said, still laughing.

"See? I told you." he said.

Dancing with Steve wasn't so bad after all, he wasn't a bad friend, he was just bad at being a boyfriend. I was still somewhat upset about Andrew, but I got over it after being with Steve.