twenty-seven

AMARA

"Amara, we need to get going. The person who did this knows were staying here now and could be anywhere," Harry nudged me out the door, swinging my bag over his shoulder.

"I need my own gun," I looked up at Harry to see him looking at me as if I was crazy, shaking his head straight after the words came out of my mouth.

"Not now, Amara," Harry pushed the bag strap up his shoulder, placing his free hand on my back for support. We both stopped in our tracks as a familiar man popped out from the corner, holding up a gun towards us.

"Rex?" I furrowed my brows, looking at the man my parents had hired a couple years back. He was one of their most trusted, he would never hurt us, so why was he pointing a gun at us? Harry pushed me behind him rapidly, causing my ankle to buckle, falling onto my ass.

"Asshole," I muttered, grabbing his thigh in both hands as I pulled myself up. "Rex works for my parents, he's not here to hurt us Harry."

Before I could stop him, Harry had shot Rex in the middle of his forehead, his body slumping to the ground lifelessly.

"Harry!" I screeched loudly, rushing to Rex. I placed my fingers on his neck, checking for a pulse, but came out unsuccessful. I whipped around to look at Harry, sending him a glare as he approached us.

"He was the one that broke in our room," Harry shrugged, reaching into Rex's pocket to pull out a flash drive that I'd seen Harry carrying around.

"Why would you take that risk?" I gaped at him, confused as to why one of my parents workers was going against them. Maybe they wanted to use me as my parents weakness as well.

"I knew," Harry shoved the USB into his pocket, walking to the elevator. "Are you coming?"

"How'd you know?" I followed him into the warm lift, my eyes staying on Harry the whole way down. I raised my brow questionably at him when he looked over at me as we walked out.

"I just did," his answer was vague, but I'd come to realise you never got a proper answer from Harry unless he wanted to give you one. The police were still swarming outside, and Harry sent the one who'd talked to us before a nod while we entered Harry's car.

Harry's phone began ringing as soon as we got on the road again (A/N don't u fuckin dare), his hand reaching out to pick it up from the cup holder. He looked down at it, pressing the red button before I got to look who it was. Harry placed the phone back in the cup holder, only for it to vibrate loudly once again, my eyes drifting to see my mothers name spread across the screen.

"Why are you avoiding my mothers calls?"

"I'm not, I'm driving."

"That's never stopped you," I looked at him strangely, picking up his phone to answer it. "Mother?" I spoke into the phone, Harry's head turning so quick he looked to have whiplash.

"Amara!" Harry grabbed his phone from my ear, flinging it out the open car window. My mouth dropped, struggling to find any words.

"What the fuck, Harry?" I screeched, looking through the rear window to see the phone crushing to pieces behind us, fragments flying off the road. Harry remained quiet as I looked at him in horror, my mouth opening and closing.

"That could've been anyone, Amara," Harry shrugged carelessly, keeping one hand on the wheel and leaning his elbow on the console between us.

"You knew it was my mother."

"What if someone took her phone and was using it to track us?" Harry threw his hand up, accidentally beeping the horn. His leg bounced up and down, a habit he usually did when he was nervous.

"Harry, what is going on?" I glared at the window as he parked the car on a landing strip, the usual black jet sitting on it. He didn't say a word as he got out of the car, walking to the jet without me.

I slammed the car door violently after I got out of the car, making me lose balance and fall on my ass for the second time today. A gasp left my lips as pain shot through my leg, my hand gripping it tightly. I gritted my teeth as I stood up, limping to the jet Harry had entered.

I smiled at the pilot, who was the same as last time, while walking in. He hadn't offered his hand to me this time, thankfully. My eyes almost rolled to the back of my head as I walked in the lounge area and saw Harry sitting down, casually typing on his laptop.

"Are you just going to ignore me forever?" I asked, sitting down in the recliner across from him. His eyes stayed focussed on the laptop as he blocked me out completely, my fists clenching as my anger grew. I breathed in and out, closing my eyes to calm myself. I felt so clueless and left out, I was never good in these situations. I usually got a bit disorientated and resulted in cleaning when I got angry, so that's exactly what I did.

I entered the tiny room that had a small bed in it and tore the sheets off, folding them, and made the bed. I did this fourteen times before I felt the need to stop.

My arms felt a bit weak from today, laying myself down on the bed I'd made. I looked up at the ceiling as I thought, too many things running wildly through my brain.

One was Harry, obviously.

He infuriated me to no end, and I felt like blowing his head off many, many times. There were times where he was my rock, though. Times where I felt content with everything happening because at least I had him by my side. Those times were becoming more rare as we ran further. I felt like Harry's anger may be caused by the stress of everything, stress of keeping me safe.

I'd never know, though, because he never told anyone how he felt. He was much more friendly when we lived in the apartment, I think that was because he didn't know how much of a raging psycho I was back then.

Harry was the only male contact I've had in awhile, willingly. I felt myself becoming attached to him, which was never good. Harry and I could never be anything more than a bodyguard and his assignment.