Goodbye

My dad wanted me to go straight to bed and make myself at home after I arrived, but I couldn't just stay at his without saying anything to Ms Dimsley and Lucas, I owed them at least that. I went back to their house to collect my stuff and say goodbye.

"Hey, Ms Dimsley" I smiled when I spotted her standing in the kitchen with a glass of wine in one hand and her phone in the other. It was strange to me how I could just walk into their house without knocking and have it feel fine, it had only been a few days living there but I felt so at home. "Blakely! I've made dinner, are you hungry?" She asked pulling open the plate cupboard. "Um...actually I already ate" I said fiddling with my hands, "I went to my dads...and I wanna move back in with him".

Ms Dimsley raised her eyebrows and put her wine glass down on the bench, "oh" she said, "well I mean, that's great honey! But...this doesn't have anything to do with Fra- I mean Principal Harris does it?"

"Oh god no!" I smiled moving further into the kitchen, "I'm so happy for you two, I was just a little shocked at first, that's all" that wasn't the whole truth, but it wasn't Ms Dimsley I was annoyed at about the whole Principal Harris situation, it was Lucas...or at least it had been, I wasn't sure if I was even still mad at him, "this is strictly about my dad and I. You and Lucas have been really amazing over the past few days, I'm really grateful you let me stay with you. It's absolutely nothing personal, I promise".

Ms Dimsley tilted her head to the side and smiled, "I can't say I'm not upset you're leaving. It's been nice having a girl around, especially you Blakely. But I am so glad you and your father worked things out".
"Me too" I nodded with a smile.
"Come over here and give me a hug then!" She exclaimed opening her arms. I laughed and walked past the dining table to Ms Dimsley who hugged me tightly and stroked the back of my hair, kind of like how my own mom did...

"Thanks for looking after me" I mumbled into her shoulder, "you're very welcome love" she said then she pressed her lips on my head before letting go.
"I think Lucas is upstairs in his room" she said picking up her wine glass.
Ok, so now I had to say goodbye to him, my plan had been to text him a 'thanks bro' then call it a day, but apparently Karma was just getting back at me for lying to myself about liking him for so long.

"Thanks" I murmured turning around. I wasn't certain, but I was pretty sure I heard Ms Dimsley giggle. I looked over my shoulder at her and she just smiled. I frowned then continued back upstairs. I swear to god, if Ms Dimsley had already figured out I liked Lucas...

It felt different going to his room well aware that I had feelings of him, I had been there before when I was asking where the linen was and I didn't want to interrupt Ms Dimsley again or something, but this just wasn't the same.
His door was slightly open and I could hear the quiet sound of electric guitar which I assumed was coming from his earphones.

Despite it being open I still knocked on the door a couple of times. When he didn't respond, I pushed it open and walked in hoping he would see me, but of course he had his back to me. "Lucas" I said folding my arms. Nothing.

"Lucas!"
He began head bopping and tapping on the desk, I was sure he could hear me after that. Who the heck head bops anymore?
I walked up behind him and pulled his headphones off.

"Hey!" He exclaimed spinning around in his chair. I took a step back and tried to hide a smile, "I knocked for like 45 minutes".
"I'm sure" he rolled his eyes, "what's up?"
"I just came to say goodbye, I'm leaving tonight" I explained.

"Oh" he said nodding slowly. I stared at him and felt as if my heart had dropped to the pit of my stomach, he really didn't care.
"Anyway" my voice cracked as I backed out of his room, "Thanks for um...letting me stay here". The only thing worse than crying over Lucas, was crying over Lucas in front of him. I had to get out of there quick.