Between the lines

'I kind of, sort of, definitely always will.' - Adam Silvera.

I feel like I have never understood this sentence until I met Roy. 'Definitely' and 'always' to me, are strong words. How could someone be so sure? So sure that they are so confident about using the word 'always'. You might think that it is just a quote from a book but, when you choose to read between the lines, you'll know that they aren't just words. They are words that an author is trying to use to get into your heart.

I was looking out of the window while thinking about it at our usual spot. A pile of books flopped on the table.

'Hey, what are you thinking about? You seem to be very deep in thought.' Roy asked.

'It's just this quote from the book. I don't know why but I get easily impacted by such quotes from books. I will ponder on it for a while... HAHAHAH!' I explained.

'Oh... I see... what quote is it?' Roy asked with curiosity.

I showed him the book and pointed to the sentence.

'I kind of, sort of, definitely always will.' he read.

'I've been thinking about it so much because people can do crazy things when they are in love. They say crazy things, do crazy things and promise crazy things.' I said.

'Wow, you analyse it with so much depth. Is this how you feel when you are with me?' Roy asked while making puppy eyes.

I looked at him while my cheeks are slowly turning red.

'Is my face turning red?' I asked.

'Yes... they are! HAHAH!' he laughed.

'Then, you probably have your answer.' I said while looking down on my book as I was trying to hide my cheeks.

He gave a very proud smile.

'What is that smile for?' I asked.

'Nothing. Just... nothing.' he answered.

He probably feel very proud of himself for making me feel this way. Till now, I still can't believe I know him and that we are somewhat together. I still feel very awkward saying the 'D' word. You know the d-a-t-i-n-g, I just can't speak of it.

'Hey, actually I want to bring you to a place!' Roy said with excitement.

'Oh... ok... let's go!' I replied.

We arrived at this underground café. The ambience was very cozy as it is filled with many bean bags, bar tables, high chairs, a karaoke set and a pool table. The café has a lot of plants hanging from the walls, it feels so warm. However, there wasn't anyone there except for this old couple that owns the place.

'Yeye! Nainai!' Roy called out.

'Hey yuan yuan! Is this your friend?' Yeye asked. Yeye looks like he is in his 70s as his hair was completely white. He is wearing a red checkered shirt with dark-washed denim jeans and a brown leather belt which I am impressed with. He is actually aging with style in it.

'Yeap, she is my girl *spacing* friend.' Roy explained with a sheepish smile.

'How am I suppose to be convince when you don't even bring QianXi and JunKai here?' Yeye said.

'Don't bully Yuan already. I've cooked some porridge. Yuan would you like some?' Nainai asked with her very soft voice.

'No, it's fine Nainai. I'm just here to grab a drink.' Yuan asked with utmost courtesy.

'Sure! What would you like then?' Nainai asked.

'A latte and...' Roy looked at me for my order.

'A latte for me too! Thank you!' I smiled widely.

'Grab a seat, it'll be there in a minute.' Yeye said.

Roy walked to this long bar table by the window and I followed.

'This place is sooo cozy! I love it!' I said.

'I'm glad you do, I don't usually bring anyone here. It is a secret spot where I sit down and think.' Roy said.

'Oh... you have your 'deep thoughts' moment too.' I said and nodded with understanding.

'Your latte is here, Nainai and I will be in the kitchen. If there is anything else you would like, just come to the kitchen.' Yeye said as he put it down on the coasters.

'Thank you, Yeye.' Roy and I said.

'Actually, I have been wondering... what do you even like about me?' I asked while sucking my latte from the straw.

'Wow... you're getting more daring huh.' Roy said while smiling.

'It's not being daring... it's just me being curious because there are so many girls that like you and I'm not the prettiest and you have to agree with that. Is it that I can help you with Math? Or is it just because I acted like I didn't know you on the first day that you are Roy Wang?' I asked while my actions get bigger and my voice get louder.

'Beauty lies on the eyes of the beholder. It is the unfiltered you that I am drawn to. You don't wear skirts on purpose just because it makes you look more feminine. That is just something about you that I am drawn to.' he said while looking into my eye without breaking eye contact.

'Dude, there are so many girls that wears jeans too!' I debated.

He then pull my face closer to his and leaned in for a quick kiss to shut me up. But, on the lips this time. It was so awkward that I quickly went back to drinking my latte.