-3-

-Y/n/s POV-

I walk into the DPD Station, it's only been a day since the incident at the Eden Club and I've developed a plan. Amanda had given me the idea to test Connor. To see if he possessed empathy. I sit down at my desk and wait for Hank and Connor to arrive, when they do, Hank looks tired. I can't help but wonder why... 

Finally Gavin arrives. 

"It was irresponsible of you to leave the scene of the investigation last night." I say. Gavin glares at me. 

"What did you just say to me?" He asks.

"Your performance on this case has been sub-par, I believe we should have a conversation with Captain Fowler to discuss how you might improve." I respond. He is already seething. 

"Come here you little-" He grabs me by the coat collar and drags me into the employee lounge, throwing me once we are in the small alcove. I knock into one of the bar stools.

"Is there any particular reason you brought me to the employee lounge? I believe Captain Fowler's office is over there." I say pointing. Gavin laughs, 

"Yeah I brought you in here so I could break your fucking nose without Hank sticking his hand in between it." He says, swinging. I brace, 

This is the point Y/n, it will be worth it. 

He slams his fist into my jaw, and I fall backwards again. 

"That wasn't my nose." I say, I can taste blue blood in my mouth. 

"I didn't know you knew how to be sarcastic." Gavin says, shoving me into the wall. He goes to swing again when he is suddenly pulled back. 

"The fuck do you think you're doing?" Hank says ripping him away from me. 

Goddammit. It was supposed to be Connor. I sigh, there has to be a definitive way to know he's deviant. Last night he may not have shot the Traci's because he knew it would damage them, and then we wouldn't learn anything. 

"Teaching this tin-can to talk to me like she's hot shit." He says, pulling himself away from Hank and going for my throat, he holds my against the wall as I gasp, my skin fading away from where his hand are latched on. Ok,I didn't expect him to get this angry. Hank tries pulling him away again but Gavin shoves him, keeping one hand on my neck. Hank falls into the bar table, toppling it. 

Connor comes up behind Gavin just as my vision is blacking out and throws him off of me. 

"I think it would be a poor decision to damage CyberLife property." Connor says, I slide down the wall and sit there. 

This doesn't prove anything. I think to myself, I can't tell if I want to believe that or not. Gavin is so winded from his landing that he doesn't speak for a moment.

"How dare you-" He finally says, catching his breath. 

"THAT'S ENOUGH!" Hank shouts. Gavin just huffs and storms away. I try to stand up but my balance is off and I end up right back where I started. Connor offers me his hand without looking at me. I ignore it this time, standing up slowly on my own. Connor turns and walks away. Hank looks confused, and approaches me. 

"Are you alright." 

"Yes Lieutenant, I-I hope I didn't cause you too much trouble." I say. 

"You weren't the one causing trouble..." Hank says walking away. I rub my head and walk out into the main office again, Gavin is at his desk sitting in silence and steeping in his anger. I turn towards the bathrooms. 

Inside them, I wipe away any blue blood on my face and fix my uniform. The door opens. It's Connor. 

"I know why you're here." He says. 

Shit. 

"Gavin was right, we don't need two androids investigating deviancy. You're here for something else. You're here to make sure I'm not a deviant." He says confidently.  "That's why you instigated Officer Reed, to see if you'd get a reaction out of me."

"Well I did." I respond.

"I only protected you because uploading your memory into a new model is bad for the case."

"But you said it yourself Connor, I'm not on the case. I'm here because of you." 

Connor's LED flashes yellow. 

"Why didn't you shoot those androids at the Eden Club?" I ask. 

"It would have damaged them, we needed them intact for analysis." He lies. At this point it has become some sort of twisted game, you're both trying to hide your deviancy while simultaneously trying to expose the other. 

"If you aren't a deviant than you shouldn't be bothered by my presence." I say. 

"I'm not, I just wanted you to know that I know  what you're trying to do." He says, before leaving. You take a deep breath and follow a moment later. 

-Connor's POV-

I watch as Gavin drags y/n into the break room, Hank seems to see my LED flashing yellow and turns to watch as well. 

"What is this prick doing now?" He says, leaning in his chair to get a better look. I can't see inside the break room from my desk but when Hank flinches I know something is wrong. 

"What is it Lieutenant?" I ask. Hank stands up, murming. I follow him. I see Y/n get slammed against the wall by Gavin and Hank picks up his pace, rushing towards him and yanking him away. 

"The fuck do you think you're doing?" He asks. 

"Teaching this tin-can to talk to me like she's hot shit." Gavin says, pulling himself away from Hank and going for y/n again, he holds her against the wall with his hands around her throat, she gasps as the skin peels back around her neck revealing white metal. Hank tries pulling Gavin off again but is shoved back into the tables. I help him up before turning to Gavin and throwing him off of y/n. I felt... angry. I'd never felt anything like this before. Earlier today when I'd refused to shoot the android at Kamski's house he said i was deviant... but it couldn't be. I wasn't actually feeling these things. I had to get Gavin off because he might damage Y/n and that would be bad for Cyberlife and the DPD... right?

"I think it would be a poor decision to damage CyberLife property." I say, Gavin tries standing but falls, finally he catches his breath, 

"How dare you-" He begins, but Hank yells and shuts him up. He sulks away. I offer my hand to Y/n without acknowledging her, a theory is forming in my mind. When she ignores it I walk away. I sit at my desk and watch as she heads to the bathroom, I enter my mind palace and try to work this out. 

She would have known that Gavin would get angry if he was provoked, which judging from my assessment of the situation she had likely insulted him, even if it was subtle. So why would she try to get into a fight... and what about that moment in the Eden Club. I knew something was off. It takes me only a moment more to connect the dots. She had purposefully gotten into a fight because she wanted to test me, she had shown up just after I had saved Hank instead of chasing the deviant, she was here to make sure I wasn't deviant. I stand up, Hank looks at me confused but says nothing. I follow her into the bathroom and confront her.