-17-

-Connor's POV- 

Y/n and I had been trying to get out of Hank's place for a while, we both worked at the DPD Station, it was strange to have them paying us, to have money, to have to worry about money...  Hank had been trying to help us and I was lucky to have an unexpected friend in Kamski. A few days after the androids won freedom he had taken me and y/n back to his home, some of the Chloe's were still there... by choice. That was the first hint that maybe he wasn't as evil as I'd previously assumed. He's congratulated me on "finding myself, but more importantly some one else to fight for." And then he'd offered to help us, in whatever way needed.

So with the wages, though low, that we collected from the DPD, a little help from Hank and a lot of help from Kamski, y/n and I set out to find our own place.

We walked down the streets of Detroit hand in hand, which encouraged a fair share of nasty looks... just choosing to keep the LED could spur hateful comments and glances, androids might have been free but we weren't accepted, and we still weren't alive to so many people.

I walk up a set of stairs to an apartment building and go to knock,

"Connor, I don't know... are you sure that we should be doing this?" Y/n asked. I furrowed my brows,

"What do you mean? Yes I'm sure we deserve to live like anyone else y/n." I reassured her. It had been a problem a lot of androids faced, that feeling of loyalty to your creator, that perceived betrayal, that belief that you needed to stay in line, as though asking for freedom was asking too much. Y/n just nods. I knock. A moment later a man opens the door and scoffs.

"Yeah fucking right." He says, going to close the door in our faces. I place my foot between the frame and the door.

"We're here to look at apartments for rent." I say calmly, pushing the door open. He stands in the threshold with his eyebrows raised,

"Like hell you are, get the fuck out of this building and don't even think about talking to a human like that again, you got it, plastic prick?" He said shoving me backwards. Y/N grabs my arm to make sure I don't fall backwards down the stairs. She turns to walk away but a part of me wants so badly to punch this guy in the nose. 

"Come on Connor, why would we want to deal with this guy anyways?" She says, which is true. 'This guy' doesn't seem very happy about her comment though, 

"What did you just say to me bitch?" He asks, grabbing her by the arm. That's when I shove him, hard. He falls backwards lands with a thud. We leave him there, disoriented on the ground. 

-Y/N's POV-

We head down the stairs quickly, leaving the man behind on the floor. He reminded me of Gavin, I'm pretty sure he might have accidentally quoted him, when I tell Connor this he laughs. Both of us are still getting used to laughing, and just showing emotions, so the laughter is soft and short but it's real. 

"I don't understand. Why is it so difficult to find an apartment in this huge city... full of apartments." Connor says as we walk down the street. I shrug, 

"I don't know Connor. Come on let's just go back to Hank's. We can go looking again tomorrow. Maybe if Hank comes with us it will help." I suggest. Connor nods and we head back to the Lieutenants house. 

...

"You're back?" Hank asks, Sumo runs up to us and greets us. 

"Yeah, unsuccessful again." I respond. Connor looks at me, 

"No one wanted androids in their building." Connor says, getting straight to the point. Hank furrows his eyebrows, 

"Fucking people these days." He grumbles. 

"It's fine Hank." I say, sitting down and petting Sumo. 

"Would you come with us tomorrow Lieutenant?" Connor ask, Hank sighs, 

"Yeah, yeah for sure." He agrees, before collapsing onto the couch. Connor sits down on the floor beside me and plays with Sumo.