-30-

-Connor's POV-

"I should have been there Lieutenant. She wouldn't have gotten hurt if I was there." I say, frustrated. I realize almost the second I've said it that it sounds as though I'm accusing Hank of not being able to protect her. He doesn't respond, just stares at the ground. 

"I... I didn't mean it like that." I say. Hank stands up, 

"I'm going to get something to eat." He mumbles, walking down the hallway and towards the elevator. I'm sitting alone now, in CyberLife tower. The door in front of me leads into the room where Y/N is being... repaired. That's how they had put it. The hospitals didn't know what to do with her, so we ended up here. Because she's a specialized prototype, only a few people actually know how to fix her. I wring my hands, I had seen the room only momentarily when we had first rushed her in. It was so much more mechanical than any hospital room, there was no bed, no chairs, nothing. There were large cables that held up androids so they might be inspected or repaired and monitors are lined up,  connecting to equipment and tools. The door opens. A doctor... well, technician I suppose,  walks out, wiping blue blood off his hands and onto a rag, which is already nearly soaked in the same substance.

"Where's Lieutenant Anderson, her partner?" He asks.

"He went to get something to eat, whatever you have to tell him you can tell me... Y/N is my... significant other." I explain. The man clearly tries to hide his surprise. 

"Oh.... well... You see Connor, there was really not much to be done. The amount of power in that weapon and at such close range, it ripped her insides up, burst open a ton of blood blood transporters, tore straight into half of her thirium pump regulator. The Lieutenant said she blacked out before anyone even got there. I'd say if we were going to save her it would have had to have been within the first few minutes of that shutdown. She lost an absurd amount of blue blood, every single one of her biocomponents shutdown... there's no fixing that." He explains. I feel cold for the first time in my life. I'm sure it's not the same thing but that's the only word I can use to describe it, I'm frozen, every part of my body feels disconnected and frosted over. 

                                                       I wish I could feel the cold,

                                                                                              so I could know how warm it is when you hold me. 

"But... she must have uploaded her memory, you just have to put it in a new model." I say, panicking. 

"You know I can't do that." The man says. I do know. They just passed a law stating that once an android is dead, it's illegal to bring it back to life. The humans felt like it was unfair that we just got a second chance, and since there was no one to represent androids the law passed... the law that would have saved Y/N's life was still being fought against tooth and nail, no one wanted androids to be armed but everyone wanted to even the playing field a little bit, make death permanent no matter who or what you were. 

"But it's possible." I say. "She must have uploaded her memory, I know she would have." I say, pushing past him and into the room. That was a bad idea... 

I see her strung up like a puppet on those chords and fall to my knees. It doesn't even look like her. Her skin has been removed, and most of the harsh white metal is stained in blue blood. They hadn't even closed her up, I can see the hole where the bullet ripped through, see her thirium pump regulator stagnated in her chest. Someone grabs me, pulling my up and out of that room. The technician closes the door quickly, locking it this time. I collapse onto my knees again and see Hank come down with me, he had been the one to pull me away. I look over and see a tray of food abandoned and untouched on the floor. 

"Connor! Connor!" Hank says, one of his hands is still wrapped around my arm. I blink. The technician sighs,

"I'm very sorry you had to see that." He says. 

"What the hell?!" Hank stands up angrily to face the man. "You couldn't even clean her up! Show her a little bit of fucking respect?! You just left her there, like she was nothing, not even worth closing up right? Just a broken piece of fucking hardware." He shouts, I can hear him choking away tears as he speaks. 

"Lieutenant, I understand she was much more than that to the both of you-"

"Fuck off." 

                               "Do you think he's going to like it?" I asked her. We were standing in the aisle                                         trying to pick our gifts for Hank. I'm holding a coffee mug that says "Fuck Off"

                               "I think it's perfect."  She smiled. 

The technician sighs, 

"I'll... would you like me to collect her things?" He asks. Hank scowls at him and the man takes that as a yes, heading into the room quickly, so there's no chance to peak inside. 

"Hank." I whisper. He looks at me, but doesn't speak.

"We can still bring her back Hank. I know she uploaded her memory, I just know it. I can hack into the system and upload it to another model. We just have to find another RK800." I say. 

"Why not just any model?" Hank asks. 

"It wouldn't work, the other models aren't as advanced, the RK800 is the first model that can even upload it's memories." I respond. Hank nods. The technician steps out holding her clothes and Hank's sweatshirt, the one he'd used to try and stop the blood, the one she had bought him for Christmas...

"I'm so sorry for your-" The man begins. 

"Yeah whatever." Hank says, helping me up. We walk towards the elevator and the technician doesn't follow.